Layer strength and the finer points of sonar

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Rhygin00

Layer strength and the finer points of sonar

Post by Rhygin00 »

Some submerged questions that are not answered in the manual:

What is the strength factor listed after the layer depths in the tooltip? Is it the steepness of the temperature gradient? What effect does it have in the simulation?

Since the deep sound channel focuses the acoustic energy back onto itself as a wave guide, where is the center axis of the channel? Is it the layer bottom limit as it is pretty much always shown in literature? If so, does it extent into the layer above the axis in Command? (Player testing suggests that it does not)

What do the top and bottom layer limits actually mean temperature-wise in Command? Is the layer the volume with the most serious gradient?

Are there shadow zones in Command?

Does the first convergence zone move closer the deeper you dive?

Does air temperature or season change the layer or the acoustic environment in any way?

Is there bottom reflection?

Any and all and partial answers are appreciated. Thanks.
magi

RE: Layer strength and the finer points of sonar

Post by magi »

if you search you will find many posts on sonar modeling in command...... i cold sat a little more.... but it would be to much work as i can only do .. one finger typing....
magi

RE: Layer strength and the finer points of sonar

Post by magi »

an i don do that very well....

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”