VP hexes

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

tbridges

VP hexes

Post by tbridges »

Re: VP hexes: if one of my units moves onto a VP hex, I get the points for it, right? If I then move off the hex do I still retain the points for it? Or do I have to continuously occupy the hex in order to get credit for it? The reason I ask is because once I move a unit onto the VP hex the hex changes color and the enemy then knows I’m there...so if I have to remain there in order to retain the VP points, I’m pretty easily targeted by enemy arty. I’d like to be able to move onto the VP hex, capture the points, and then move right off of it but still retain those points.

Tom
Tom

The easy way is always mined...
CapnDarwin

RE: VP hexes

Post by CapnDarwin »

Ownership is a matter of who was on it last. So if you take it and it flips to your side you can move off. The issue you can run into is at end game when he game looks at VPs and forces in the area to determine ownership.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
IronMikeGolf

Post by IronMikeGolf »

Also note that at game end, the game calculate combat power in the vicinity of the VP hex and ownership can change at that time. During the game, the enemy AI will react only to who last occupied a VP hex.
Jeff
Sua Sponte
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: Iron Mike Golf

Also note that at game end, the game calculate combat power in the vicinity of the VP hex and ownership can change at that time. During the game, the enemy AI will react only to who last occupied a VP hex.

would be nice to have the AI do the 'game end calculation' during the game as well. I can see cases where the player may decide to avoid taking losses and just pile up units close to a VP hex and wait to gain control of it at the end of the game.
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

I don't try to necessarily "take control" of victory hexes by physically touching them. I control them by fire. I.O.W., I set up in over watch positions and make the enemy pay if he wants them. That strategy has always worked well for me. By killing the enemy the game normally ends before time is reached and I get the victory hex do to proximity.  I was told by a commander once time that control by fire is just as good as controlling a location by being physically on it. I have applied that strategy in the game and have not been disappointed yet.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I set out to destroy as much of the opposing enemy forces as I can. Then once their ability to defend the VP's is reduced I start to occupy them.

In full FOW mode you can still get some surprises by being economical with your forces. Depending on the amount of time left and the proximity of enemy forces you may not be in control like you thought. Very realistic resolution for my money. [&o]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”