TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Orm

RE: TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post by Orm »

Anyone want to bet on whether the USSR claim on the Borderlands is allowed or not?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Anyone want to bet on whether the USSR claim on the Borderlands is allowed or not?
I would bet not. Two US entry chits? The Axis doesn't know you have nothing but ones in the pool. (OK, an exaggeration. You have a few higher chits. You will of course pull those chits when you lose two chits. This is how WiF works.)
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Orm

Post by Orm »

Indeed. But Germany, last turn, sent out loaded transports to the Baltic Sea. Prepared peace keepers. It could be that this was just an attempt to intimidate. Or it could be a sign of their intentions.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

(OK, an exaggeration. You have a few higher chits. You will of course pull those chits when you lose two chits. This is how WiF works.)
Of course we would get to remove the best chits. Its the law.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Claim Allowed:
Claim not Allowed: Orm, Courtenay
peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

Claim not Allowed
"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
Orm

Post by Orm »

Claim Allowed:
Claim not Allowed: Orm, Courtenay, peskpesk

----

Three votes for 'not allowed' and all three got it wrong. So no winner this time. Except, maybe Finland, who stay out of the war.
peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

The big winner is the USSR. No losses and both claims allowed.
"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

It will also allow better response/movement for the Chi-Coms if the need arises.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: peskpesk

The big winner is the USSR. No losses and both claims allowed.
One winner is USA. And a minor victory for USSR. But I think that a war with Finland would have been a opportunity for a even bigger win. Conquering Finland secures the North flank. And at the same time destroy a lot of good Axis units.

So therefore it does not feel like a win.

One could even claim that Germany is a winner since they are now sure of aligning Finland at their convenience.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do to catch up on events.......
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

Not all that much has happened during the turn. Although HMS Warspite finally entered the action. [:)]

And I am still slightly annoyed that I lost the hex North of Gibraltar at once.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Is there any reason to hold onto Cadiz now that the Germans are next to Gibraltar?
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

One would be to cost the Axis an impulse to take Cadiz (expensive for Allies, perhaps), but the Axis would likely need to use the hex adj. to Gib. to do it, due to the river line to the north. With RN BBs offshore, they might wish to use a bit of airpower as well. Though they can Blitz it into the sea easily enough, probably. That hex also threatens

Two, it could be used to threaten to re-take the hex adj. to Gib. after a failed Axis assault.

Gibraltar is worth a lot. How much, only the C-i-C can decide.
Orm

Post by Orm »

The main reason that I didn't evacuate Cadiz was a lack of sea lift. I prioritized getting air power to Gibraltar (one FTR2 and one NAV2).

After transporting the air units to Gibraltar used up two of my available transporters. And the liner was in Australia. I could have used the Dutch TRS located in Malta but since I feared the interception possibility in the West Med I send it to India for next turn reinforcements. One TRS is left in England as reserve.

The CW sea lift suffers since two TRS has been sunk. And two (or was it three?) TRS has been damaged. Also, I didn't want to begin the turn with placing loaded TRS in the Cape St Vincent.

Picture from Sep/Oct '40 Impulse #1 (Allied) - Reorganization
Attachments
231.jpg
231.jpg (649.59 KiB) Viewed 40 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

Gibraltar is worth a lot. How much, only the C-i-C can decide.
I consider all the land units defending Spain and Gibraltar lost. Although I would prefer not to lose them soon and that they will take lots of Axis units with them.

I would say that 'time' will decide and not the C-i-C. [;)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

So Ormster, what would you suggest for the Soviets? Defending the borders is a no no - but how far back is prudent do you think?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

I was actually considering suggesting that this time it might work to defend the border.

The first question that needs to be asked is when do you think Germany will attack USSR?

And the second question will then be with what forces.

And if the answer to the first question is summer '41 then it looks to me that Germany might have trouble getting all their units in position. And then a forward defence might work.

And if the answer is that Germany will not attack in '41 then I would like the Soviet Union to put pressure on Germany by stacking the border.

Anyway. In a rearward defence I think the border should have sacrificial units so that the German forces can not advance freely. Cities and forest hexes should have cheap units that ZOC the German advance without the possibility of overrunning the defenders. And then a mobile defence take over. A couple of strong stacks that retreat one hex or so per impulse. Only allowing Germany to attack them from one hex or two. The mobile defenders should be outside practical ground strike range and definitely outside 'Stuka' range. Few German bombers has a normal range more than 6 hexes. SO if the main defenders are 7 hexes from the border and in a forest hex then that is as good as it gets. Preferably not stacked together.

'Hero cities' should also be considered if Adolf attacks '41.

Some HQs should be placed rearwards where they can reorganize reserves without the possibility of the disorganized HQ getting caught.

----

Now that no US entry chits got lost for Finland, I am wondering if we should put Iraq back as a possible target for USSR?
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The Axis has enough time to get back to make an attack on the Soviet Union, if they start working on it very, very soon. If they don't, they don't. The German garrison ratio can go up startling fast, if they put all their effort into it. However, it can also go up agonizing slowly (agonizing for the Germans, that is) if they need to divert forces to the other fronts.

I don't know what the Axis will do. I don't know if the Axis knows what they will do. I would put units up near the border to force the Axis to make a decision soon. You still will have time to pull them back if that seems to be the appropriate response. The one thing you really don't want to happen is let the Axis get the best of both worlds, and be able to do a close the Med strategy and a '41 Barbarossa at the same time. Make them choose.

Of course, if my math is wrong, and the Russians get stuck on the border and the Germans manage to get enough garrison to attack the Soviet Union, following this advice would cost you the game, so this advice is quite possibly worth exactly what you paid for it. [:)]
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

A common Allied mistake in WiF is the Russian player doing things just because they are bored while the other players get to have all the fun. Then frequently the German player gets to have more fun at Russian expense.

You would also need to consider whether you are using the MWiF Break Pact optional which is different than the paper rules.

If the Germans are serious about trying to attack Russia in 1941, they will attack Gib. immediately probably with an O-Chit if they still have one. (Too late for the current impulse I believe, if it it not posted yet.) They would still need to take Tangier and this is a bit farther off yet. The CW position is fairly good with a lot of work in front of the Germans to clean up for a secure rear before attacking Russia. The Allies can look for a little good luck on the Partisan table to help their situation in the West in a small way, I think.

Return to “After Action Report”