Books NOT Recommended

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

geofflambert

RE: Books NOT Recommended

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

I do have "Neptune's Inferno" on my Kindle; will reserve judgment until read.

Respectfully,

Mac

Kindle? What are you, some kind of millennial?

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Respectfully,

Mac

I'm from the last millennium, like you.

Wife & I listen to audio books in the car. An Audible subscription is tops. I wind up with some credits left over for some history to listen while I work out.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Respectfully,

Mac

I'm from the last millennium, like you.

Wife & I listen to audio books in the car. An Audible subscription is tops. I wind up with some credits left over for some history to listen while I work out.

You work out? What are you, some kind of millennial?

Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Dang it, I just ordered The Conquering Tide on Amazon without ordering Pacific Crucible. What's wrong with my wish list? Besides Olivia Munn not being on it.

Geoff-

You will not be disappointed. I am fortunate in having a very modest collection of books (hard copy and Kindle) on the Pacific War; some unread and still waiting.

Toll has given me a huge boost in my desire to read (or reread) them all.

Always enjoy your entertaining posts, Sir.

El Mac (that's Mac in Spanish...)
LAV-25 2147
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Bought "Ostkrieg" by Fritz. One major shortcoming of the book : hardly any maps. Not a good book there.
Banner designed by rogueusmc
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: patrickl

Bought "Ostkrieg" by Fritz. One major shortcoming of the book : hardly any maps. Not a good book there.

Speaking of maps, I got these 3M tab strips that are in various colors - the sticky end of the strip is transparent - and wrote a name for each map on the colored ends of the strips and stuck them to the map pages. I had to keep going back to each map as the story progressed.

You probably would be better off sticking them on the sides of the pages rather than the top.

Attachments
atkinson700.jpg
atkinson700.jpg (315.08 KiB) Viewed 125 times

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Spearhead-a book on Merrill's Marauders so full of bias and poorly written. I regret the day I bought it. https://www.amazon.com/Spearhead-Comple ... =spearhead

Death Traps The memoir (always suspect) of a maintenance officer assigned to an armor division in WWII. This idiot knew very little about armored warfare when he was there and learned very little afterwards. He makes lots of historical claims that I never have heard anywhere else. Total waste of time. I want this part of my life back. https://www.amazon.com/Death-Traps-Surv ... eath+traps

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

I object your honour.

Order in the court!

The most honourable geofflambert presiding.

warspite1, you are out of order!
I liked The Proud Tower, as well as Tuchman's other books.

Your honor, you are abject.

Tuchman was a superb historian. I have Stillwell and have read it three times. That said it like all historical works is now a bit dated. I love the book but she got some of it wrong. But we are talking about a 40 year old book.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

In Barbara Tuchman's book on Stilwell, I didn't get the impression that she had a really high opinion of him (Merrill). Criticized him a little but mostly didn't spend much time on him.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Tuchman was a superb historian. I have Stillwell and have read it three times. That said it like all historical works is now a bit dated. I love the book but she got some of it wrong. But we are talking about a 40 year old book.

I noticed a few things that were off, as well. I read The Guns of August way back when I was a teenager and I still have vivid memories of it, particularly in regards to Mr. Samsonov and Mr. Rennenkampf.

mussey

Post by mussey »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I noticed a few things that were off, as well. I read The Guns of August way back when I was a teenager and I still have vivid memories of it, particularly in regards to Mr. Samsonov and Mr. Rennenkampf.
It was my first reading of ww1 - fond memories. Several years ago I read The Zimmerman Affair which was superb reading. Folio Society book which is beautious in its own right.
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

CaptDave

Post by CaptDave »

A non-recommended book about life in the US during the first month of the war (as far as we were concerned, anyway) is December 1941: 31 Days that Changed America and Saved the World by Craig Shirley. Here's the review I posted on www.librarything.com:

"I like the concept -- tell the story of the first month the US is in World War II via what is reported in the newspapers. One of the things I'd like to see more of in wartime history is what life is like for those not in the military.

Unfortunately, this book is not an example of good writing. Proofreading and editing are non-existent, and the author does too much editorializing and not enough analysis. A fellow World War II buff has described this book as the "biggest waste of forest products ever" -- I think that's a bit of an overstatement, but it's certainly on the right track."

The "fellow World War II buff," by the way, was someone in these forums. This came up about 4 years ago in another thread.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

A non-recommended book about life in the US during the first month of the war (as far as we were concerned, anyway) is December 1941: 31 Days that Changed America and Saved the World by Craig Shirley. Here's the review I posted on www.librarything.com:

"I like the concept -- tell the story of the first month the US is in World War II via what is reported in the newspapers. One of the things I'd like to see more of in wartime history is what life is like for those not in the military.

Unfortunately, this book is not an example of good writing. Proofreading and editing are non-existent, and the author does too much editorializing and not enough analysis. A fellow World War II buff has described this book as the "biggest waste of forest products ever" -- I think that's a bit of an overstatement, but it's certainly on the right track."

The "fellow World War II buff," by the way, was someone in these forums. This came up about 4 years ago in another thread.

Are you saying he doesn't write good? Don't say he doesn't write good. You might sound like somebody who is orange who doesn't speak good.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Just to give you a flavor of Barbara Tuchman's writing, this will be from "The Proud Tower" and refers to Lord Salisbury (of the steak fame, well, not really) who was PM in the period preceding WWI.

"He never dined out and rarely entertained beyond one or two political receptions at his town house in Arlington Street and an occasional garden party at Hatfield. He avoided the Carlton, official club of the Conservatives, in favor of the Junior Carlton, where a special luncheon table was set aside for him alone and the library was hung with huge placards inscribed SILENCE. He worked from breakfast to one in the morning, returning to his desk after dinner as if he were beginning a new day. His clothes were drab and often untidy. He wore trousers and waistcoat of a dismal gray under a broadcloth frock coat grown shiny. But though careless in dress, he was particular about the trimming of his beard and carefully directed operations in the barber's chair, indicating "just a little more off here" while "artist and subject gazed fixedly in the mirror to judge the result."

I'm not clear on who she was quoting, but my dress is often drab and untidy. Could I possibly be an English Lord? Warspite1, I need to hear it from you.

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Just to give you a flavor of Barbara Tuchman's writing, this will be from "The Proud Tower" and refers to Lord Salisbury (of the steak fame, well, not really) who was PM in the period preceding WWI.

"He never dined out and rarely entertained beyond one or two political receptions at his town house in Arlington Street and an occasional garden party at Hatfield. He avoided the Carlton, official club of the Conservatives, in favor of the Junior Carlton, where a special luncheon table was set aside for him alone and the library was hung with huge placards inscribed SILENCE. He worked from breakfast to one in the morning, returning to his desk after dinner as if he were beginning a new day. His clothes were drab and often untidy. He wore trousers and waistcoat of a dismal gray under a broadcloth frock coat grown shiny. But though careless in dress, he was particular about the trimming of his beard and carefully directed operations in the barber's chair, indicating "just a little more off here" while "artist and subject gazed fixedly in the mirror to judge the result."

I'm not clear on who she was quoting, but my dress is often drab and untidy. Could I possibly be an English Lord? Warspite1, I need to hear it from you.
My Most Magnificent Lord of Gorn!
Are you a Duke, Earl, or Marquis?
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

A Marquess would be the correct term.

pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

Gorn in drag....not that there is anything wrong with that....in our rich and inclusive society down south.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Gorn in drag....not that there is anything wrong with that....in our rich and inclusive society down south.

No, no, no. Marquis is French and like a lot of French names and titles sounds rather effeminate, but it is masculine. Marquess is the English version, and is also masculine. No schoolboy at Eton ever got a fat lip for calling somebody else's dad a Marquess. Have you never heard of the Rules of the Marquess of Queensbury? I am clairvoyant and I hear some people making up cracks about buried queens. Do not think for a moment that they would be funny, ha ha ha.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I lived for a time on a street called "Kingsbury". Perhaps I am related to her ...er, him.

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

I lived for a time on a street called "Kingsbury". Perhaps I am related to her ...er, him.
"Gornbury" Drive?

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”