Thermal/Noise Issue on Windows7/10: Solution

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

LoBaron

Thermal/Noise Issue on Windows7/10: Solution

Post by LoBaron »

Hi!

Posting this because the topic came up a couple of times lately (also in a PBEM I recently started).

WitP AE seems to use CPU power to the max - even if it is not required for a smooth gaming experience. On many windows PC´s this can lead to thermal issues and/or noisy vents and short battery life on laptops.

Here is how I personally solved the issue (using windows10 as an example, but this can also be done on w7):

1) Go to control panel -> all control panel items -> Power Options.

2) Select 'Create a power plan' from the left side of the window.

3) Select 'Balanced' as the template to use and set a name for it (I call mine 'WitP').

4) Click on 'Continue' and then on 'Create'

5) If you now go back to the Power Options menue you should see your newly created power plan. Select it and click on 'change plan settings'.

6) Click on 'Change advanced power settings'.

7) Now you will see a new window called Power Options, advanced settings. Go to 'Processor power management'. There, set the maximum processor state to a value less than 100% for 'battery' as well as 'plugged in'. (I am using 50% and it works like a charm).

8) Change the 'system cooling policy' from 'active' to 'passive' for 'battery' as well as 'plugged in'.

The above will have two effects: Setting CPU to less than 100% will result in the CPU not being maxed out and thus generating significantly less heat. Setting the cooling policy to passive will promt the CPU management to slow the processor before increasing the fan speed.

This will significantly reduce thermal as well as noise generation on your computers. If you want to have a cool'n quiet WitP eperience simply activate your new 'WitP' power plan. And if you need all your CPU power available you can simply switch back to one of the default power settings.

Just one last hint: don´t create too many of those, deleting power plans can be a bit tricky (easy to google, but it is not like hitting a 'delete power plan' button. Only Microsoft knows why...).

Hope this helps!
sanderz

RE: Thermal/Noise Issue on Windows7/10: Solution

Post by sanderz »

useful info

its odd though about your cpu usage - do you mean cpu is 100% even when the turn isn't running?
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

WitP is not utilizing multiple cores efficiently. Result is that you usually end up with a single core maxed out (or at least running on a high load) while the others are idling. This is what on many sytems causes excessive thermal output.

YMMV depending on your CPU power and fan cooling efficiency. It is most prominent on modern compact multi core laptops that have only limited options to get rid of thermal energy.

The issue described is common for many older programs optimized for a single core ops.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

This doesn't happen for me on either machine that I play on. My home machine is an AMD quad core and my work machine is an Intel Core 2. I run Win7 on each. WITP is never more than 50% CPU usage, but typically less than 20%.

I do not run any of the CPU switches in the command line.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Very interesting, are you using the stock switch or did you remove it?
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

This doesn't happen for me on either machine that I play on. My home machine is an AMD quad core and my work machine is an Intel Core 2. I run Win7 on each. WITP is never more than 50% CPU usage, but typically less than 20%.

My old AMD Phenom II quad core is not affected either.

Where I personally experience the thermal issue is on my terra i7 powerbook.

I use the same switches on both machines.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I would not be surprised if the issue were specific to certain chipsets or CPUs.
ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Very interesting, are you using the stock switch or did you remove it?

I just use -multiaudio and -dd_sw, plus resolution switches for the window.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Holy crap Lo (may I call you Lo?)[:D] Just set this up for my Alienware laptop. My CPU loves you, my fan(s) loves you, my ears love you, he$$ I even think my power brick loves you (seems to be running cooler too). I love.... well lets not jump too far.[:D] Anyway thanks for the idea, I never even considered it.

[&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o][&o]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Lowlife Beer Plan?

Return to “Tech Support”