Population Control?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

dereck

Population Control?

Post by dereck »

My empire's starting race was Human.

I'm caught in a quandry because I'm worried that eventually the dominant race will change from Human to another due to population growth - mainly I'm worried about all the Gizureans that are breeding like insects in my empire. There are a few colonies where they've taken over as the top population and I'm worried that eventually they will defect on me.

So far my empire population is 49.528M with humans only being 36.214M and most of the 16M being insectoid races.

I'm worried that eventually the dominant race of the Imperium will change from Human to something else (Gizurean most likely). Is that a valid worry or won't the dominant race change?

If it IS a worry, how do I ensure that I can limit the population growth of the Gizurean in my empire?

The population policy is okay but it also affects non-insectoid races which I have to beef with.

Thanks.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
Retreat1970

RE: Population Control?

Post by Retreat1970 »

Set population policy to Do Not Accept on certain worlds.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Be aware that Do Not Accept only prevents species from moving to a planet; it won't stop existing populations from growing. If the population of any undesired species becomes too high for your tastes even with the 'Do Not Accept' policy set for the group which includes the species you don't want, you're going to need to set one of the more disreputable policies - Resettle can remove populations from your empire if none of your colonies will accept the populations being resettled and some other empire will take them, Exterminate does exactly what you think it does, and Enslave will prevent the enslaved populations from growing but will not reduce the overall size of the populations.

As far as whether or not you need to worry about losing the bonus from your starting species goes: Yes, I think it's possible to lose the bonuses of the starting species, but no, you don't need to worry that much about it too much, at least not yet. A non-founding species will offer its full empire bonuses as long as the species makes up at least 20% of the empire population; if founding species are treated the same way, then you need not be too concerned about losing the founding species bonuses until the alien population starts to approach 80% of the total empire population, and a quick test using the game editor suggests that founding species may be a bit special in this regard, as an empire which had its population adjusted using the editor to be ~10% humans (founding species) and ~90% assorted aliens kept the full 15% espionage bonus even after the game ran long enough to add in the empire bonuses from the aliens (the human research bonus was replaced by the Quameno research bonus, but I don't think that this should have had any effect as I cannot recall ever seeing disproportionate gains in any empire bonuses granted by species being incorporated into the empire when I already had one of the bonuses that the species offered). I didn't test thoroughly to determine where the bonuses of the founding species starts to degrade, but as reducing the human population of the empire to about 1 million out of ~50 billion caused the loss of the espionage bonus it's clear that the bonuses from the founding species can be lost.
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Do not accept or resettle are both good options going forward. His population in his empire are about 75% human so he shouldn't really worry too much. His next 5-10 colonies, besides his homeworld, won't have enough population to exceed his homeworld population of Humans anyways.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”