Upgrading the N1K1-J George

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Marshall

Upgrading the N1K1-J George

Post by Marshall »

I am wondering if an upgrade from the N1K1-J George to the N1K2-J George makes sense.

The N1K1-J George is wreaking havoc on the allied air force, and even against the P47 i get 1-1 or better results so far.

However the N1K2-J George is more maneuverable, little faster and gets 4 canon, but lacks the machine gun the N1K1-J has.

I can imagine it is good for killing the bombers, but afraid it will affect the air to air combat versus the Allied fighters.
One aspect is that the N1K1 version has a suport rating of 3 while the N1K2 has a support rating of 2.

I am contemplating skipping the 2 and move from the 1 to the 5 version.

The 2 version also has 16 gun value vs the N1K1 version 20.

The N1K1-J George wiped out the whole British fighter force in Burma, so i do not want to weaken the Beast!
When my Franks come online the Army will have a heavy punch as well.
I have one Squadron of N1K1-J George with over 680 kills, moving to the N1K2-J George can possibly weaken it as a fighter to fighter.
DR
rustysi

RE: Upgrading the N1K1-J George

Post by rustysi »

OK, first off what you are referring to as a support rating is in fact a service rating. This impacts the availability of the A/C, lower is better. The N1K2 is also slightly better in speed, maneuverability, and climb rate. The machine guns that are removed from the K2 are rifle caliber and are not going to make that much difference. Think of a Nate/Claude trying to shoot anything down. IOW the four 20mm cannon of the K2 will suffice. Based on its SR, I would say the upgrade to the K2 is the move to make.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

+1
Pax
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

OK, first off what you are referring to as a support rating is in fact a service rating. This impacts the availability of the A/C, lower is better. The N1K2 is also slightly better in speed, maneuverability, and climb rate. The machine guns that are removed from the K2 are rifle caliber and are not going to make that much difference. Think of a Nate/Claude trying to shoot anything down. IOW the four 20mm cannon of the K2 will suffice. Based on its SR, I would say the upgrade to the K2 is the move to make.

For defensive purposes, yes.
Marshall

Post by Marshall »

Service rating, indeed, not support rating.
I know the higher it gets, it affects the operational effectiveness of the planes, and less are available , because of maintenance.
However i learned to deal with a service rating 3, to operate the version 1 of the George quite effective.

Armament:
These type 99-2 canons have bad accuracy, 23.
The machine guns have accuracy of 50

The 5 model has a machine gun in it, so it was probably missed in the 2 version.

Also the endurance drops from 351 to 330.

The extra maneuverability and climb rate is to be neglected as a decisive factor in my view, it is a very small change.

My worries are that it will do well against bombers, but suffer more against fighters, while at the moment the version 1 covers both angles. i even get a 1-1 or better result against the mighty thunderbolt.

DR
Yakface

Post by Yakface »

the 7.7mm machine guns are not going to do anything against aircraft with armour. I don't think they will be coming up against any allied aircraft without armour at this point in the war. In my experience the K2 does better in A2A combat with fighters than the K1 - as a consequence of the speed, mvr, climb incremental changes.

The service rating change is a very big plus. The difference between 2 and 3 is very pronounced.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Marshall

Service rating, indeed, not support rating.
I know the higher it gets, it affects the operational effectiveness of the planes, and less are available , because of maintenance.
However i learned to deal with a service rating 3, to operate the version 1 of the George quite effective.

Armament:
These type 99-2 canons have bad accuracy, 23.
The machine guns have accuracy of 50

The 5 model has a machine gun in it, so it was probably missed in the 2 version.

Also the endurance drops from 351 to 330.

The extra maneuverability and climb rate is to be neglected as a decisive factor in my view, it is a very small change.

My worries are that it will do well against bombers, but suffer more against fighters, while at the moment the version 1 covers both angles. i even get a 1-1 or better result against the mighty thunderbolt.

The 1:1 you are achieving could have a lot to do with pilots and/or leaders.

The N1K2 is largely identical to the N1K1, except that the N1K1 has a higher ceiling and so is a better sweeper.
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

Doesn't the K5 have:

4 X 20mm cannons with 2 X 13.something mm MGs?

the 13.whatever mms are pretty high calibre guns, could you use this model for the bomber-killer role with the 2 earlier models being counter-fighter?
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

You do it for the service rating. No other stat is as critical since they do not change much. But the difference between a 3 rating and 2 is a serious improvement. If you are playing vs the AI it does not matter as much but a good human player is going to take advantage of a 3 service rating.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

You do it for the service rating. No other stat is as critical since they do not change much. But the difference between a 3 rating and 2 is a serious improvement. If you are playing vs the AI it does not matter as much but a good human player is going to take advantage of a 3 service rating.

+1

One good mission for the Allied bombers could put your whole fighter defense out for a turn or two, so the service rating is very important. The faster it repairs, the faster you recover. This is also a good reason for not stacking all your fighters at one base.

I'll take a service rating 2 over a service rating 3 any day, especially since those 7.7mm MGs aren't even going to scratch the paint on a P-51.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “The War Room”