Hell on Wheels - No Clue

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

vettim89

Hell on Wheels - No Clue

Post by vettim89 »

Background: I've had this game for a while and hadn't played it much until recently. It has caught my interest again and I have been playing it almost nightly of late. I played through the Soviet campaign and won every battle handily. I thought I would give the American campaign a try and haven't got past the first scenario. I have tried six or more times and the only time I made it to the end I got a 57%.

Scenario: well this one is a toughy no matter which way you cut it. The American player faces an entire Soviet tank division. That's three Armored Regiments plus a MRR. I have read that the NATO doctrine said that each unit would need to defeat a unit of the next higher echelon to avoid defeat. SO a company would need to defeat a Sov battalion, a battalion would need to defeat a Sov regiment, and a brigade would need to be able to defeat a So division. Well, the American player gets two battalions that arrive piecemeal with the bulk of the tanks coming four hours into the battle. I have only made it that far once and only the 70% auto end saved me.

SO, I thought I would ply the minds of the experts and see if you can help me learn the nuances of FPC. I am presently using 2.0.10 for reference
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
vettim89

RE: Hell on Wheels - No Clue

Post by vettim89 »

An image of my set up. The 3rd Battalion are indicated in yellow, the fourth battalion in in blue, and recon is in orange

Attachments
hellstart.jpg
hellstart.jpg (209.68 KiB) Viewed 282 times
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

I indicated on the image where I will deploy my FASCAM when they become available during the third command cycle. The AI does not always follow the same pattern but there are some trends I have seen in every attempt at this. One Tank regiment will force the woods road to the South. The MRR will force the river in the the South central region. A second Tank regiment will run the Autobahn in the north central zone. Recon units will try to force the North road. The third Tank regiment is the wild card as I have seen it follow the first regiment up the south road and slowly move along the south edge of the town on the west bank of the river to emerge in the center

Last note is the emplaced mines and FASCAM usually slow the Autobahn thrust down enough to give me some time on that zone. I get a tank coy at 59 minutes at the Northeast edge of the map. They will be placed just above the small town just Northeast of where C coy/4th BATT is deploying

Would really appreciate any help you can give. This is not one of those AARs that shows off how good I am because I suck. The whole purpose is to get some input from the people who know the ins and outs of the system
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

0421 First orders phase.

The Cav platoon at the southern end of the map has lost both of its M3s so will not do much more but die. I think a total of two T-80s were destroyed by this unit. Bridge destruction is complete a nd A coy/3rd BTN is ordered to displace west. The remaining Cav in the central town are sparring with Sov Recon and lead elements of the MRR. They have taken out a few vehicles in the process. In addition the C Coy HQ is ordered to blow the bridge to prevent a dash by Sov recon units to grab teh VPs est of the river

Attachments
HOW1sta.jpg
HOW1sta.jpg (308.33 KiB) Viewed 280 times
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

Up North my Cav unit is sparring with Sov Recon. Lead elements of the Tank Regiment are hung up for now

Attachments
HOW1stb.jpg
HOW1stb.jpg (242.58 KiB) Viewed 280 times
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

0441 Second Orders phase

The first Arty battery has arrived and is ordered to use all its FASCAM to slow the Sov Tank RGT as it advances down the southern road. The HQ 4th BTN has arrived and is ordered North to put the two coy already on map into command range

A coy will start moving at 0447 and likely will be engaged with lead elements of the MRR before it can get off. Now that A coy has active orders, HQ 3rd BTN will displace north to get out of the danger zone

Attachments
HOW2nd.jpg
HOW2nd.jpg (306.9 KiB) Viewed 280 times
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

0451 Third Orders Phase

Well this game is full of surprises. I had stationed 3/C/3rd on the hill in ambush position to hit the tanks as the proceeded up the Southern road. They took out two T-80s. Then to my surprise the tanks did not push on but instead turned and rushed the infantry destroying the entire unit in the process. They then continued their rush to threaten the coy HQ. Wow, did not see that coming.

Also, I was incorrect and the Arty bty only has ammo for one FASCAM mission which only destroyed one vehicle. Curse my luck. Things have eerily gone quiet up North. Even Sov Recon has gone missing.

A coy/3rd BTN disengaged from the MRR undamaged but artillery took out a M2 and an INF sq.

Attachments
HOW3rd.jpg
HOW3rd.jpg (357.64 KiB) Viewed 280 times
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

0520 Fourth Orders Phase

Well the ICM destroyed 3 T-80 and scared them real good because the turned tail and ran. As the retreated 1/C/3rd to the North unleashed their TOWs and killed 5 more. That one company was on the edge of taking out most of a Mech INF coy and went all "Brave Sir Robin" on me. Whew!

The remnants of the CAV Troop continue to harass the MRR as it advances but is now down to a single unit.

A coy/3rd BTN is engaging Recon elements emerging both from the town and from the SE. So far they are holding up well, but I expect arty will start falling on their positions next phase. They will all go to "dug in" posture as soon as I hit start.

I received my remaining arty this phase. I decided to hold off on the FASCAM mission along the autobahn as Sov Recon is moving through now. I prefer to wait until the tanks are advancing. The Recon helo from the second CAV troop has the highway under observation.

B coy/4th BTN will reach its positions this phase and begin digging in.

Attachments
HOW4th.jpg
HOW4th.jpg (339.25 KiB) Viewed 280 times
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

0539 Fifth Orders Phase

As predicted Sov arty creamed A Coy/3rd BTN which is now at 1/3 of its original strength. With support from D Coy/4th BTN they have managed to take out the better part of a Mech INF BTN as it advanced out of the town. B Coy/3rd remains unengaged so far. The trials of C Coy/3rd BTN continue. The two remaining companies of the lead tank BTN organize and head straight for their position. ATGM fire and arty have reduced this unit to 14 tanks but it is still a BIG problem. So glad I blew that bridge. Arty will be called on once again to save the day.

The little Cav platoon that could remains alive both holding up at least one BTN of the MRR plus providing some nice spotting. Unfortunately both my Recon helo units were eliminated by MG fire this turn. They were both 4-5 hexes away from enemy units. Helos are fragile I guess.

Attachments
HOW5tha.jpg
HOW5tha.jpg (331.17 KiB) Viewed 280 times
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

cont'd

So up North here we have a problem. I have no idea how that tank Coy got so far without being spotted. My Cav Troop has the north road covered. C Coy/4th BTN should have the crossroads covered. Visibility has been over 3500 except for a brief period. He must have crossed the center of the map during that 10-15 minute period. Talk about timing.

FSCAM plotted for the autobahn this coming phase to slow up the follow on battalions.

The up to now mislabeled D Coy/3rd BTN has coverage of the North map edge if visibility holds. Still in covered posture but hopefully going to dug in soon.

If D Coy cannot take out those tanks, this edge of the map is in trouble. No reinforcements up North until just after 0800 with the exception of a CAV troop which won't do much.

Attachments
HOW5thb.jpg
HOW5thb.jpg (300.8 KiB) Viewed 280 times
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

It has been a long time since I have played this scenario, but I have played it probably more than any other scenario. In looking over your deployment, it looks to me that you are probably getting chewed up piecemeal by the OPFOR. Also, I don't defend in the path of the Soviet's advance. I defend in the perimeters and control the axis of advance by fire. At lease in the beginning phase of the game. You don't have enough units to defend and block their advance, so I slow them down by attacking them on their flanks. I also task organize my battalions and companies. I am thinking I will start a game with this scenario to see if it has changed over time.
Charles Belva
On Target Simulations LLC
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

ORIGINAL: cbelva

It has been a long time since I have played this scenario, but I have played it probably more than any other scenario. In looking over your deployment, it looks to me that you are probably getting chewed up piecemeal by the OPFOR. Also, I don't defend in the path of the Soviet's advance. I defend in the perimeters and control the axis of advance by fire. At lease in the beginning phase of the game. You don't have enough units to defend and block their advance, so I slow them down by attacking them on their flanks. I also task organize my battalions and companies. I am thinking I will start a game with this scenario to see if it has changed over time.

How in the world do you accomplish that? In the games I have played there have been no fewer than three avenues of attack by the Soviets. Seems flanking one line only would put you right in front of another. Do you just surrender large map sections and let the Sovs exit a part of their forces? I had never considered that option. If you are so outnumbered, perhaps its best to concede defeat and do the maximum amount of damage without losing your entire force in the process
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

I am attaching a picture of how I have attacked this scenario in the past. I have had fairly descent results. You have a lot of reinforcements coming so you want to kill as many OPFOR units as possible. I create a giant kill zone in the valley behind Steinbeck. I expect that my companies will take a lot of damage, but hopefully, they can kill quite a few of the enemy and slow them down for my reinforcements.

The bridges circled in red are to be blown at game start. The ones in yellow as soon as I can get to them.
Attachments
HellsHighway_1.jpg
HellsHighway_1.jpg (164.88 KiB) Viewed 281 times
Charles Belva
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

Thanks. I see what you are talking about here. My only issue is that putting the two Infantry companies in the woods limits TOW effectiveness as the Sovs will be on them after one volley
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

Not necessarily. The mech company in the south will start picking the Soviets off between 2 - 3 km as the come over the hill. The northern ( center of the map) will do the same. They won't / hold out forever, but they are trying to do as much damage as they buy time.
Charles Belva
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

0559 Sixth Orders Phase

Credit this game for being able to give variance while replaying the same scenario. One Sov Tank RGT is now going full force at the southern edge of the map likely engaging in bridge building. Only the remnants of C Coy/3rd BTN are in position to oppose this action. Arty will try to help. Once across the river they will be into my arty camp and, well, game over.

The second Tank RGT is now skirting south of my Mech Inf and moving west. The will cross open ground in fron of my tanks and B Coy/3rd BTN but likely will retain enough strength to press the river also.

The third Tank Regiment minus one Coy is temporarily held up by my FASCAM strike.

I receive a Mech Inf Coy inexactly 40 minutes at the southern map area. They will likely be put to use as rear guard for my artillery as they try to escape North.

This battle is lost. As I said at the beginning, I really have no clue as to the right way to play this scenario. To be frank, with all due respect to the designer, it is not even remotely balanced.

Attachments
HOW6th.jpg
HOW6th.jpg (346.59 KiB) Viewed 280 times
vettim89

Game Over

Post by vettim89 »

Oky, two Tank RGTs have broken through and are either across the river or about to be. No point in continueing this farce.

This scenario SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments
HOWend.jpg
HOWend.jpg (215.89 KiB) Viewed 280 times
CapnDarwin

RE: Game Over

Post by CapnDarwin »

The question I have is what is your score at this end game point? Can you post the save game from near the end? Are you running the 11 beta or 2.0.10? 2.0.10 has some issues. [;)]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
cbelva

Post by cbelva »

ORIGINAL: vettim89

This scenario SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am sorry that you feel this way about this scenario. I consider it one of my favorite. Like you pointed out, the AI has the ability to play it differently. It also opens up a wide range of strategies for the US player. I have been playing the scenario and I am at the 7:05 time in the game (3:05 of elapse time). I will post a pix showing the status at that moment in my game so that you can compare.

The red line shows the Soviet's high water mark.
They sent a battalion along the southern route, at least a regiment so fore in the center thru the valley behind Steinbeck. A Mech company with tanks thru the woods. They have been probing the north with recon.
Attachments
HellsHighway_2.jpg
HellsHighway_2.jpg (301.83 KiB) Viewed 280 times
Charles Belva
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

The question I have is what is your score at this end game point? Can you post the save game from near the end? Are you running the 11 beta or 2.0.10? 2.0.10 has some issues. [;)]

2.0.10 - gotta load the beta I guess.

Return to “After Action Report”