Windows 10 aims to kill Steam

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

MrsWargamer

Windows 10 aims to kill Steam

Post by MrsWargamer »

Just curious to hear your thoughts. Saw this comment the other day and thought "oh this is not going to go over well."
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
wings7

RE: Windows 10 aims to kill Steam

Post by wings7 »

A ridiculous comment! [8|]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney - briefly

Epic CEO Tim Sweeney has once again voiced his concerns regarding Microsoft’s Universal Windows Platform (UWP), this time saying that Steam will be made to run worse on Windows 10 in the next few years. Down below you’ll find what Sweeney said about Microsoft locking down the PC ecosystem, and how they are trying to 'bug' Steam through Windows 10 patches.
How exactly do you think Microsoft is locking down the PC to make it a closed platform?

There are two programming interfaces for Windows and every app has to choose one of them. Every Steam app – every PC game for the past few decades – has used Win32. It’s been both responsible for the vibrant software market we have now, but also for malware. Any program can be a virus. Universal Windows Platform is seen as the antidote to that. It’s sandboxed – much more locked down. The risk here is that, if Microsoft convinces everyone to use UWP, then they phase out Win32 apps. If they can succeed in doing that then it’s a small leap to forcing all apps and games to be distributed through the Windows store. Once we reach that point, the PC has become a closed platform. It won’t be that one day they flip a switch that will break your Steam library – what they’re trying to do is a series of sneaky maneauvres. They make it more and more inconvenient to use the old apps, and, simultaneously, they try to become the only source for the new ones.

Given that Steam is so widespread and popular, how could Microsoft truly win that battle, in terms of games at least?

Slowly, over the next 5 years, they will force-patch Windows 10 to make Steam progressively worse and more broken. They’ll never completely break it, but will continue to break it until, in five years, people are so fed up that Steam is buggy that the Windows Store seem like an ideal alternative. That’s exactly what they did to their previous competitors in other areas. Now they’re doing it to Steam. It’s only just starting to become visible. Microsoft might not be competent enough to succeed with their plan but they are certainly trying.

Isn’t it the case that Microsoft is simply mimicking Apple’s model, given how lucrative it’s proven to be for software distribution?

Sure, that’s the motivation. They’re trying to copy Apple’s model, but they realize you can’t just flip a switch. It has to be achieved in small step changes.

just a bit more info for those who haven't read it, or some of the comments made anyway, imo smoke and mirror's atm with no real depth or substance really, just opinions[;)]

edited, seems i spend too long posting and editing as beaten to it ^^ above[&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

Windows 10 aims to kill Windows 7... [:D]
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

Don't care. There's enough idiotic doomsaying going on everywhere. Do you know how many years down the road it would be before MS could/would say win32 can no longer run? The 5 years is complete bullshit.

If it's so bad, then I guess I will keep an old version of windows around and dual boot with linux.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

If it's so bad, then I guess I will keep an old version of windows around and dual boot with linux.
I was thinking about the same. Also Steam could well go under the UWP with % of the sales to Microsoft. If not, we can still use Steam on Ubuntu Linux.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

Erm..no chance and it will never happen..we've already had Games for Window's..which went away.

If they did do something similar to Steam there would be plenty room for both services.

Finally I can't see it really being in Microsofts interest to finish of Steam..now, buy them out, maybe.
IntrepidMan

Post by IntrepidMan »

If not, we can still use Steam on Ubuntu Linux.

That is the ultimate solution. [;)]
"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
George Orwell

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind."
George Orwell
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

don't know. But realistically its probably a little too late for that.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

On one hand, Valve does seem to be agonizingly slow about improving the Steam client, and everyone knows it. Despite it being the source of unlimited cash flow for them, it seems to take months or years to make any substantial change to it. Valve has a unique company culture where employees are free to work on projects of their choice, and "boring" stuff like updating the Steam client takes a back seat to whatever the heck they do all day (Counting money? Definitely not making new games).

On the other hand, if they ever felt any kind of slackening in the aforementioned unlimited cash flow, I imagine Gabe would light a fire under someone's butt and they would find a solution in no time.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

join in the steam beta program, then you may see something different with updates and changes on a daily basis tbh, the only reason i can see moving away from Win32 apps is for the jump to pure 64bit code, faster and more stable, but yes also not backwards compatible so much either, but it has to happen at some time, as we can't live in the past for ever imo either, but there will always be a choice, as far too many apps and programs won't or can't be converted so it won't be one without thinking of the other i'd hazard a guess, but without insider knowledge or no crystal ball most are only guessing as well what may or could happen over time...
wodin

Post by wodin »

Apparently the lad who mentioned this has been coming out with odd statements a few times recently.
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

Don't care. There's enough idiotic doomsaying going on everywhere. Do you know how many years down the road it would be before MS could/would say win32 can no longer run? The 5 years is complete bullshit.

That's what you say! You were not there like I was. That fateful day when the Microsoft big wigs were huddled in their board room and were laying out the plans of crushing steam. [:D]
wodin

Post by wodin »

Doomsayers..how many years now have we heard it's the death of wargaming or the death of PC games or the death of consoles..and on and on:)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

each and every time a new console comes out tbh.

i wasn't a steam fan at first, but now think it's a great idea and platform
wodin

Post by wodin »

Steam has never really bothered me. I've never been that into a game that I'd be worried about possibly not being able to play it years down the line. Looking at what's installed on my PC currently nothing is more than ten years old..the average I'd say would be two maybe three years. The only games I suppose are the Combat Mission x2 series and Wings Over Flanders Field as it's unlikely they will have competition for a long time..both aren't even on Steam anyway. Looking at my Steam Games I can't see much there that I'd probably be playing say 7 years from now. I also find Steam easy to use and things like auto patching and steam workshop are excellent. Finally Steam have said many time snow if anything was to happen they'd make sure all games would be able to be played without the need for Steam. MMO's are a far greater risk that in a few years the game will be useless, as either the community dies or the servers go offline.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

All I know is it would take no effort for Microsoft to deliberately apply upgrades that will erode the utility of Steam.

We all KNOW Microsoft thinks the world revolves around them.

We all KNOW Microsoft releases versions of Windows as fast as possible.

Seems like yesterday everyone was trying to prepare for 6 which became 7 because 6 sucked, and then they released 8 because they wanted to make tablets and thus our desktops which didn't need 8 were forced to use it even though it was often pointless. And now it's 9 err 10 (I wonder what happened to 9?). And 10 is all about Microsoft has it so that 10 means they control your OS.

And you actually doubt Microsoft might want to do something unpleasant to Steam? Do you guys read what you post?

None of this is about Steam being able to adjust. This is about Steam better be capable of adjusting.
We've already seen Microsoft do things like this before. Internet Explorer. Need I say more?

Yeah many of us hate Windows enough to use something else. The truth though is Microsoft relies on the majority that don't.
Microsoft CAN do this if they feel like trying it. The same way other massive corporate entities do what they do.

I'm not 'worried' about Steam though. I figure many of you might be.
I'm not even playing my games much. If tomorrow I couldn't....... I'd likely not panic.
I'm more concerned about the impact digital is having on print.
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

All I know is it would take no effort for Microsoft to deliberately apply upgrades that will erode the utility of Steam.

We all KNOW Microsoft thinks the world revolves around them.

We all KNOW Microsoft releases versions of Windows as fast as possible.

Seems like yesterday everyone was trying to prepare for 6 which became 7 because 6 sucked, and then they released 8 because they wanted to make tablets and thus our desktops which didn't need 8 were forced to use it even though it was often pointless. And now it's 9 err 10 (I wonder what happened to 9?). And 10 is all about Microsoft has it so that 10 means they control your OS.

And you actually doubt Microsoft might want to do something unpleasant to Steam? Do you guys read what you post?

None of this is about Steam being able to adjust. This is about Steam better be capable of adjusting.
We've already seen Microsoft do things like this before. Internet Explorer. Need I say more?

Yeah many of us hate Windows enough to use something else. The truth though is Microsoft relies on the majority that don't.
Microsoft CAN do this if they feel like trying it. The same way other massive corporate entities do what they do.

I'm not 'worried' about Steam though. I figure many of you might be.
I'm not even playing my games much. If tomorrow I couldn't....... I'd likely not panic.
I'm more concerned about the impact digital is having on print.

Yeah, well, now that I have Win10 my Steam works a lot better than on WinXP or Win8.1...
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Well now that you have Win 10, you better hope they don't carry through on their potential.

The fact that Steam currently works better is in no way relevant to the fact they can always change that.

My computer buddy that maintains my systems told me to go to Windows 10. It just means as of now, Windows 10 works better than 8.

And if Steam means nothing to me (and as I said, I wouldn't truthfully miss my games), then the fate of Steam wouldn't matter to me specifically.

But you guys on the other hand are likely more the gamer than I will ever be. I'm sure you're keeping an eye on this ore so.

Return to “General Discussion”