Book review ?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

scout1

Book review ?

Post by scout1 »

Anyone read this and is it a worthy read ?

The Imperial Japanese Navy in the Pacific War
warspite1

RE: Book review ?

Post by warspite1 »

It depends on what you are looking for, what you already know and how deep you want to dive.

As a one-volume, fairly high-level overview, I think its a handy little book. Not at all badly presented, it contains a summary of all the ships classes that fought in WWII, some decent pictures and drawings. There is a pretty high level summary of the major actions fought, a section on strategy and doctrine and a conclusion at the end.

If you are after something deeper - more detail and depth - on each class, than what is essentially an overview, then I would look elsewhere - although you would probably need to buy a number of books to meet that requirement.

Am I pleased I bought it? Yes probably, maybe..... but only because, unlike the British, French, Italian and German fleets, I do not have that much material on the IJN. But its not going to be a well thumbed tome.... Does it offer much more than say Conways from a ship perspective? A bit, but not much - and the campaign summaries are literally that.

I would love it if someone did for the IJN what Jordan, Moulin and Dumas have done for the French navy. Hell I wish someone would do that for all navies of WWII [8D]

Attachments
51HMWXd8ts..248,320_.jpg
51HMWXd8ts..248,320_.jpg (25.9 KiB) Viewed 61 times
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Warspite, what French Navy book are you referring to? I know of the 1957 "The French Navy in World War II" by Auphan and Mordal, but don't know of the one you speak....
fulcrum28

Post by fulcrum28 »

The Imperial Japanese Navy in the Pacific War by Mark Stille is good.

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Warspite, what French Navy book are you referring to? I know of the 1957 "The French Navy in World War II" by Auphan and Mordal, but don't know of the one you speak....
warspite1

Its not a book - its a series of books. As I said about the IJN book above, if you want tons of detail about each ship/class then by definition a one volume account of the whole navy would be impossible (or ridiculously huge and expensive!).

What the French guys have done is produced three books (so far - I hope they cover submarines too) as follows:

French Battleships 1922-1956 (Jordan & Doumas)
French Cruisers 1922-1956 (Jordan & Moulin)
French Destroyers 1922-1956 (Jordan & Moulin)

Beautiful books, packed with a ton of information and thoroughly recommended to anyone with a naval/WWII interest.

Attachments
images1.jpg
images1.jpg (10.12 KiB) Viewed 60 times

Jellicoe

Post by Jellicoe »

Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific war by Lacroix is a comparable tome albeit pricey
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

I'm just reading it now, the physical quality is good, lot of pictures but are only described CV, BB, CA, DD and SS (no other ships). Also the author has a very good background.

Most of his reference books come from Osprey publications (Imperial Japanese Navy Battleships, heavy Cruiser and so on), therefore I would say it is a collection of them, if you already own these books could be redundant.

About this topic:
Kaigun: Strategy, Tactics, and Technology in the Imperial Japanese Navy, 1887-1941
A Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy, (1941- 1945)

Hope it helps [:)]
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Thanks Warspite... I appreciate your response.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Jellicoe

Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific war by Lacroix is a comparable tome albeit pricey
warspite1

I've been after this for years but the cost is prohibitive [:(]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Thanks Warspite... I appreciate your response.
warspite1

You are welcome - they are thoroughly recommended [:)]

Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

I've been after this for years but the cost is prohibitive [:(]
It has 880 pages! Must be a lot of photos and diagrams.
Jellicoe

Post by Jellicoe »

It's the tome on Japanese cruisers, technical, design and operational history plus some amazing photos. It is a hefty beast and is about the same size as a copy of Janes
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

It's the tome on Japanese cruisers, technical, design and operational history plus some amazing photos. It is a hefty beast and is about the same size as a copy of Janes
I can imagine the size.
Amazon USA has some used copies starting at $148 USD.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”