Twilight Struggle PC

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Dorb

Twilight Struggle PC

Post by Dorb »

Anyone tried Twilight Struggle on Steam? Not bad, really taught me how to play the game. I had the 2005 version board game and had to go out and buy the current one with updates/improvements in the hopes of trying to get a friend of mine to try the game. Really is a damn good game of the Cold War I think.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Ranger33

RE: Twilight Struggle PC

Post by Ranger33 »

I've played it against the AI a few times and really enjoyed it. A very elegant and interesting design. Never played the physical version but I can now certainly see why it gets all the acclaim.

It's great for when you want a game with some depth and multiple paths to victory and want to do so in a relatively short time frame.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

CarnageINC has an AAR somewhere.

I have it, and have yet to win.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

I have not heard of this one before.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Carnage's AAR is on page 8 of this forum, currently, last update May 11 2016. Sorry I don't know how to link it here. [:o] The AAR is pretty good and the game looks very interesting.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Anyone tried Twilight Struggle on Steam? Not bad, really taught me how to play the game. I had the 2005 version board game and had to go out and buy the current one with updates/improvements in the hopes of trying to get a friend of mine to try the game. Really is a damn good game of the Cold War I think.

It does look and sound good (on Steam)...I do have it on my wishlist. [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

I recommend getting the the PDF game rules from GMT Games web site- living rules section and playing the pc tutorial.(then reading the PDF rules- the pc game has a tab that you can read all the cards and study them) Better yet I had the board game and followed along with the cards on my computer desk. Laying out my cards and the ones the AI played.(talk about VR, who needs an expensive head set. lol)

Really is a darn good game with a great feel for the cold war with s lot of options each turn sort of like chess. As you play the tutorial you have an option to continue playing or start a new game. I have only beat the AI once finishing the tutorial which gets you off to a pretty good start.(have played many times to get the mechanics of the game down) Only played one new game so far from start and the AI got off to a really good start and I ended up losing. I have played as the USA so far.

I think this game is a really good buy for $15. (heck the Beastmen DLC for TW Warhammer is $17.00 on sale price, so you really can't go wrong with this as a full great game.) If you are my age or older (born 1969) you really know and have a good feeling of what the card titles mean and the history behind them. Just very well done. Plus the PDF board game rules give a very cool break down of the card histories and what effect they had on the real world. So when you play them you can relate to them in the game world/history terms.

Sorry to be long winded.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Dorb

I recommend getting the the PDF game rules from GMT Games web site- living rules section and playing the pc tutorial.(then reading the PDF rules- the pc game has a tab that you can read all the cards and study them) Better yet I had the board game and followed along with the cards on my computer desk. Laying out my cards and the ones the AI played.(talk about VR, who needs an expensive head set. lol)

Really is a darn good game with a great feel for the cold war with s lot of options each turn sort of like chess. As you play the tutorial you have an option to continue playing or start a new game. I have only beat the AI once finishing the tutorial which gets you off to a pretty good start.(have played many times to get the mechanics of the game down) Only played one new game so far from start and the AI got off to a really good start and I ended up losing. I have played as the USA so far.

I think this game is a really good buy for $15. (heck the Beastmen DLC for TW Warhammer is $17.00 on sale price, so you really can't go wrong with this as a full great game.) If you are my age or older (born 1969) you really know and have a good feeling of what the card titles mean and the history behind them. Just very well done. Plus the PDF board game rules give a very cool break down of the card histories and what effect they had on the real world. So when you play them you can relate to them in the game world/history terms.

Sorry to be long winded.

Thanks for the information and ideas...no need to apologize for a lengthy post, the longer the better! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

Return to “General Discussion”