GD1938 Game 23

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

LJBurstyn

RE: GD1938 Game 23

Post by LJBurstyn »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

It was used by Roosevelt - no stinking 60 PP per turn for him!

FDR

In truth, it can be construed that way. However there was an amount of lobbying too. However if the analog is to be made for FDR and Japan, I must mention that USA defended that piece of land with vigour, and that they might well have fought Japan alone, and never attacked Germany, had it not been for the fact that Hitler DOW'ed USA a few days later. ...

Please note that in early 1941 the USN (Navy) began attacking German U-Boats in open waters in violation of all neutrality laws. Germany would have been
within it's rights to declare war at that time but did not because it did not want war with the USA. It HONORED it's treaty with Japan and declared war
on the USA (although they had requested Japan not attack the USA).
Also note the USA declared war on Germany BEFORE Germany declared war on the USA (December 8th 1941).

As far as Finland is concerned if the USA had kept the Finish army instead of disbanding it we (the USSR) would not feel the need to take Finland. I think FDR
used the "fear" we Soviets had that someone else would take Finland to initiate it's end of Isolationism.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Also note the USA declared war on Germany BEFORE Germany declared war on the USA (December 8th 1941).

Interesting, not what the documentaries I have been watching says, but If you say so :)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

For what it is worth Wikipedia seems to disagree with you...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_de ... tes_(1941)
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

As the State Department pointed out : Finland was not able to host US troops. No nation bordering Finland would allow neutral passage to Finland for the purpose of bolstering Finnish defenses. An existing, but weak, Finnish armed forces would have invited attack and thus visited the horrors of modern warfare on the Finnish people.

Portugal is a seagoing nation with ample access by transports. US troops are garrisoned in Portugal now.

===========

Italy was committed to join the defense of Germany by treaty. Surely the Italian diplomats were aware that their defensive alliance with Germany might embroil them in a war with German's enemies. Ask the Germans if the war cannot be ended now. Wars can end as well as begin. Ending the war now would be a very interesting development. It might lead to a long stable peace, or it might be a mere pause, but the United States wishes for peace for war-torn Europe.

===========

The United States wanted to secure a non-violent future for Finland, if possible. We certainly expected a neighboring power to intervene, but when that did not happen we were satisfied. Evidently the USSR has decided to protect its Baltic borders, which is fine. We rather thought Germany might get there first.
Bombur

Post by Bombur »

I´m going to travel tomorrow. Will be back next Friday.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

01 May 1939

The United States reaction to the Soviet entry into Finland was restrained, but it did alert the American people to the tinderbox of current diplomacy. The government of President Roosevelt has been authorized to take an active role in world affairs, including preparation for possible military action.

The USA has sent troops to Portugal. The United States has not yet extended an offer of alliance to France and Great Britain, but the US does not want to see these democracies destroyed. The US invites the European democracies to begin negotiations for an alliance. This would not mean the US would necessarily go to war.

The United States is not yet at full war fighting capacity, but we will continue to prepare for possible military scenarios.

FDR
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

Germany would be happy to discuss the possibility of a alliance with the US, we are engaged in a war against the British, a war that we did not start and as the British have not explained the reasons for the attack on Italy or Germany, no contact via diplomatic channels has been received from the British or the French, it seems that the US would be best served putting there faith in the Italians and Germans the less volatile of European powers.

The German people empathise with the US people regards the Finnish dilemma, however Germany feels that history will not look kindly on a nation that first courts influence with a nation then abandons them.

Germany advanced unopposed into the only city held by the French, Milano was liberated By the 3rd Infantry Army and the 1st SS Panzer Army and returned to Italy.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

MrLongleg

Post by MrLongleg »

Well, to set the record straight - the Germans forced us to go to war by openly threatening international trade routes. Why would Germany need a giant fleet of U-boats if it did not intend to start a war. U-Boats are not of defensive nature. We have to admit that we are unable to defend the Scandinavian countries effectively after loosing a big part of our navy. It will take years to rebound from that. Milano had to be abandoned because it was surrounded by three German armies. Now the joined Anglo-British command is developing weapons and doctrines to stop the German Panzer armies.

To our American friends I can say, that we would welcome if they would join our fight for democracy and justice and the rule of law. Our opponents do not cherish those values, while our people are fighting for them and often enough have to sacrifice their lives for it.
MrLongleg

Life is too short to drink bad wine ;-)
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

While we are waiting for Japan to do his turn, I have a question.
I have Windows 8.1....I keep getting messages that I can "upgrade" to Windows 10 for free by July 29th....SHOULD I?
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

While we are waiting for Japan to do his turn, I have a question.
I have Windows 8.1....I keep getting messages that I can "upgrade" to Windows 10 for free by July 29th....SHOULD I?
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

I upgraded I found no negative side effects and a perception that performance was overall improved, may have just been a perception, but with Windows 10 I can say there were no additional problems.
Are we like late Rome, infatuated with past glories, ruled by a complacent, greedy elite, and hopelessly powerless to respond to changing conditions?

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Windows 10 works just fine for me, and I work and play on these machines.

Chuck
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I upgraded and windows 10 seems pretty stable to me.
JRR
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

Okay, installed -- not sure I like the new start stuff...but it seems stable. Now it's a matter of getting used to the new way of doing things. Hmmm. My cat wants FED NOW....She is getting between me and the keyboard. Oh well, I guess I should feed her. Bye now.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

I use the desktop...didn't like the new start stuff either.
JRR
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

29 May 1939

The United States will be very disappointed if the Germans and Soviets go to war with the Poles. Poland has not done anything to deserve an attack.

The Germans have been clear that the British and French attack on them is the reason they are at war. They will get on the wrong foot if Poland is attacked.

The Soviets have no business in Poland.

FDR
Zap

Post by Zap »

Have to congratulate all of you for your dedication to the game and the AAR,s I've enjoyed them. You been going at it for a long time.
LJBurstyn

Post by LJBurstyn »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

29 May 1939

The United States will be very disappointed if the Germans and Soviets go to war with the Poles. Poland has not done anything to deserve an attack.

The Germans have been clear that the British and French attack on them is the reason they are at war. They will get on the wrong foot if Poland is attacked.

The Soviets have no business in Poland.

FDR

I would not be interested in going to war against Poland but I need a buffer area between my homeland and Germany. When Germany told me they intend to go to
war against Poland and offered to cede part of Poland to me I accepted since I cannot stop their actions. Remember France and UK started the war and Poland is
Allied with France.... this is probably untenable to Germany having enemies on both sides of it. I don't want any world power to border the USSR directly.
ironduke1955

Post by ironduke1955 »

June 1939

The USA will have to live with disappointment, Germany declared War on Poland with the agreement of the Soviet Union who will take the Eastern Part of Poland, Germany did not relish the prospect of another stab in the back as happened with Romania. We have a long and difficult campaign ahead in France and the fewer wild cards in the deck, the safer Germany will feel.

The 4th and 7th Panzer Armies are being shipped back to Germany the speediest option, the Amphibious Corp formed for naval assaults remains to tidy the remaining Norwegians.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (191.11 KiB) Viewed 65 times

cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Zap,

Thank you so much for reading along with us.

Game 23 uses new victory conditions. So we are all experimenting a bit.

If you own Advanced Tactics Gold, please join us in a game of GD1938. China is a good place for a start, or perhaps Italy. We would all be happy to have a new player.

Chuck

Return to “After Action Reports”