TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Orm

RE: TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post by Orm »

Punchy? Sorry that is new to me. Unless you offering a drink of punch?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

warspite1

Sorry matey - your command of the English language is so good I sometimes forget I'm talking to a Swede. In this context:

Punchy = bold, aggressive
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

We get this line with three Soviet land moves.
Maybe USSR should demand the Borderlands after all. This leaves 2 land moves for the Finnish front.

And one upside if there is a war is that if Germany is distracted by Finland then there might be less pressure on CW.
warspite1

That's pretty punchy Ormster. Trouble is its not as simple as the next impulse. If the Axis luck continues then this will be another long turn with fine weather. Another lucky dice throw and the Communists, already in dire trouble, could be toast this turn.

Think too about our land throws. If the Soviets get unlucky (as per China and France) in Finland that could be game set and match. If I thought the Germans needed to make sacrifices to place PeaceKeepers in Finland I would probably (maybe) go for it, but they can place 2,3 or maximum 4 corps/Mil/Garr around Helsinki and the Soviets are not taking Finland any time soon - and will take losses in failing.
The Chinese Communists can indeed be toast. Not much we can do to stop it except moving the units to the best to our ability. As long as that is done then a war with Finland matter not. And if they are lost then more moves for USSR in Finland.

If they are lucky with a long turn then we have more impulses in Finland.

If we think we never will have any luck then we are doomed. I am thinking that luck comes and goes and we can not plan our game after it. Of course we can avoid risky attacks and so on. But now we are talking Grand Strategy and I do not think that we should let bad luck demoralize us so much that we alter our plans after it. If Germany and USSR take equal losses and Finland is conquered then I am a happy camper.

And getting 4 units to Finland will take, at least, some effort. They have two transporters so that is two units this turn.

I think killing Finnish units will have some worth even if we do not knock out Finland at once. Murmansk front should be secured.

But mainly I think we are letting Axis dictate this game. USSR can not attack Japan. The Chinese Nationalists can not do much because the attack weakness. CW is stretched to thin to do mischievous things to throw Axis off balance. Sure, they have seen the attack on Finland coming. But it forces them to react. At least it feels like we are doing something. US has enough markers in the entry pool, or at least I think they have enough. Allies have been playing it nice. I suggest that we stop being nice now.

What do you think about this?

Previously I thought 'wait and see until next impulse' but now I think we gain nothing by waiting. Just losing a couple of land moves.

But with all of this said I do not want to force you into it.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

Sorry matey - your command of the English language is so good I sometimes forget I'm talking to a Swede. In this context:

Punchy = bold, aggressive
Yes. I've been trying to play a aggressive game. [:)] And currently it feels like I fail miserably. But I swear, I do try. [:D]
Orm

Post by Orm »

I am considering playing a combined with CW. Reinforcing the Bay of Biscay with ships and making all three land moves with the Spanish in Southern Spain.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Maybe USSR should demand the Borderlands after all. This leaves 2 land moves for the Finnish front.

And one upside if there is a war is that if Germany is distracted by Finland then there might be less pressure on CW.
warspite1

That's pretty punchy Ormster. Trouble is its not as simple as the next impulse. If the Axis luck continues then this will be another long turn with fine weather. Another lucky dice throw and the Communists, already in dire trouble, could be toast this turn.

Think too about our land throws. If the Soviets get unlucky (as per China and France) in Finland that could be game set and match. If I thought the Germans needed to make sacrifices to place PeaceKeepers in Finland I would probably (maybe) go for it, but they can place 2,3 or maximum 4 corps/Mil/Garr around Helsinki and the Soviets are not taking Finland any time soon - and will take losses in failing.
The Chinese Communists can indeed be toast. Not much we can do to stop it except moving the units to the best to our ability. As long as that is done then a war with Finland matter not. And if they are lost then more moves for USSR in Finland.

If they are lucky with a long turn then we have more impulses in Finland.

If we think we never will have any luck then we are doomed. I am thinking that luck comes and goes and we can not plan our game after it. Of course we can avoid risky attacks and so on. But now we are talking Grand Strategy and I do not think that we should let bad luck demoralize us so much that we alter our plans after it. If Germany and USSR take equal losses and Finland is conquered then I am a happy camper.

And getting 4 units to Finland will take, at least, some effort. They have two transporters so that is two units this turn.

I think killing Finnish units will have some worth even if we do not knock out Finland at once. Murmansk front should be secured.

But mainly I think we are letting Axis dictate this game. USSR can not attack Japan. The Chinese Nationalists can not do much because the attack weakness. CW is stretched to thin to do mischievous things to throw Axis off balance. Sure, they have seen the attack on Finland coming. But it forces them to react. At least it feels like we are doing something. US has enough markers in the entry pool, or at least I think they have enough. Allies have been playing it nice. I suggest that we stop being nice now.

What do you think about this?

Previously I thought 'wait and see until next impulse' but now I think we gain nothing by waiting. Just losing a couple of land moves.

But with all of this said I do not want to force you into it.
warspite1

I'll sleep on it.....

Orm

Post by Orm »

I'll sleep on it.....
That is all I can really ask for. [:)]
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Two cents from the cheap seats:

I don't think you can allow how lucky the Axis have been to dictate what you do (and don't do) strategy wise. Most any strategy will fall apart in the face of red hot dice from the other side. Many strategies look like genius if you have lady luck on your side. If you get to the point you are afraid to do something because of the other sides "luck" then you have pretty much lost the game from a player moral standpoint of view.

I am not advocating one way or another as far as Finland goes, but will point out that if the Russians do go, it does force the Germans to take different types of impulses than they perhaps normally would have if there was no war with Finland. How much of an impact that may or may not have in Spain remains to be seen, but I can't help but think it isn't going to be helpful for the Germans.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Soviet moves:

Naval:
Kirov to Baltic Sea and picks up 1-4

Rail:
4-3 Cernauti to Novgorod

Land Moves:
3 x Commie moves you made in a previous post
Zhukov and 3-3 to (35,55)

I don’t think there should be an attack on Si-An.

Re-base:
Pe-8 to Novgorod
SB-2RK to south-east of Leningrad

Protagoras

Post by Protagoras »

Soviet moves:

Land Moves:

No No Move the Knight Move the Knight... the horsey thing the horsey thing!
Orm

Post by Orm »

Soviet moves:

Naval:

Rail:
4-3 Cernauti to Novgorod

Land Moves:

Re-base:
Pe-8 to Novgorod
Can I take the liberty and send out a BB (Marat) instead? The cruiser always has the option of sailing later on since USSR will do combineds for a while longer.

----

Do not forget to replace the partisan hunters in Persia.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Soviet moves:

Naval:

Rail:
4-3 Cernauti to Novgorod

Land Moves:

Re-base:
Pe-8 to Novgorod
Can I take the liberty and send out a BB (Marat) instead? The cruiser always has the option of sailing later on since USSR will do combineds for a while longer.

----

Do not forget to replace the partisan hunters in Persia.
warspite1

I was only going to send one of the bombers, but now we are less concerned with the border, I can order the second bomber to Finland once an INF takes its place.

Re the Marat - no problem - but I cannot for the life of me think what difference it makes which one moves this impulse and which ones in the follow up. I am sure you can enlighten me.

Orm

Post by Orm »

No real difference. But with the cruiser and division in port USSR has a tiny bit more flexibility. USSR can then opt to send out the division, or not. And we get to see how Germany place the Finnish units before we make the call. If we decide to go, that is.
Orm

Post by Orm »

, I can order the second bomber to Finland once an INF takes its place.
And eventually the cavalry division. The best unit that USSR has. [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

No real difference. But with the cruiser and division in port USSR has a tiny bit more flexibility. USSR can then opt to send out the division, or not. And we get to see how Germany place the Finnish units before we make the call. If we decide to go, that is.
warspite1

That explains it [:)]

Orm

Post by Orm »

I'll just send you an email asking if you wanted to have a go at the sea search rolls.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I haven't got it - but I'm quite happy for you to do it as I can blame you when we get surprised again......

Orm

Post by Orm »

I haven't got it - but I'm quite happy for you to do it as I can blame you when we get surprised again......
Just mailed it. I hope you find the time.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

You can't blame the loss of Si-An totally on luck. The ChiComms abandoned the excellent defensive terrain in front of the city, thus giving the Japanese the chance to try their luck. Perhaps the Japanese attack the mountain hex and roll a '10' - but the Chinese would still hold Si-An.

You forgot to say Blub, blub, blub when you sank the Italian cruiser. Though perhaps you can save it for a real prize like one of their transports.

If you go into Finland, decide your War Aims in advance and play accordingly. I think MWiF increases Partisan chances somewhat and Finland can get them quickly, though more-so in the second year of war.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

You can't blame the loss of Si-An totally on luck. The ChiComms abandoned the excellent defensive terrain in front of the city, thus giving the Japanese the chance to try their luck. Perhaps the Japanese attack the mountain hex and roll a '10' - but the Chinese would still hold Si-An.
warspite1

Well we can agree to disagree. This was right at the start of the turn; there was one throw and one throw only that would stop the attackers from being disorganised. There were 2 chances that the Japanese would be disorganised AND lose 2 units. Yes. I would say that is a pretty good defensive set-up and a very risky move by the Axis to try and take it - especially at the start of a turn. The odds heavily favoured the defenders who had three units in the city.

Yes, if the Chinese had not moved back and the Japanese threw the same result against the mountain, then Si-An would be facing the same attack next Axis impulse anyway - but already down 2 units....

If I did not move from the mountains - and the Japanese threw a low dice - genius! But equally if I did move and the Si-An attack failed - genius!

As said before, this is a 'dice' game and if you can't accept that sometimes the dice don't run for you then there is no point playing. That does not mean, human emotions being what they are, that such a result (for the second time against the ChiComms) does not hurt and results in a little 'disappointment' being vented on an Allied only forum.

But (M)WIF would not be the game it is without these talking points [:)]

Return to “After Action Report”