TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Orm

RE: TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post by Orm »

If you are sure about the Finnish front the yeah, why not?
I am not sure about anything at all. [:D]

But it looks fun. [:)]

And knocking out Finland can not be all that bad. [:)]

Just need to avoid getting embroiled in trench warfare that lasts into the winter.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm
If you are sure about the Finnish front the yeah, why not?
I am not sure about anything at all. [:D]

But it looks fun. [:)]

And knocking out Finland can not be all that bad. [:)]

Just need to avoid getting embroiled in trench warfare that lasts into the winter.
warspite1

Have no fear on that score. I have my top general on the case. He has identified a perfect target of attack. He will be sending elements of 9th Army - 163rd and 44th Divisions - to a small town by the name of Suomussalmi. It is there that we shall inflict defeat upon the hapless Finns......
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

Splendid. All in time for tea, eh?

Attachments
0000aa.jpg
0000aa.jpg (108.61 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Two questions if I may Ormster old chap:

2. Why have you pulled out so many 1's in the Ge/It pool?

This is a special WiF skill, that I have cultivated myself.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Splendid. All in time for tea, eh?

warspite1

Mmmmm. The Soviet 44th and 163rd Divisions, a couple of British Territorial Army brigades, a town in mid-Finland and maybe some Gloster Gladiators thrown in. What could possibly go wrong?

Orm

Post by Orm »

In the East Med the British cruisers could have lost control of the sea area to the Italians. Now it is contested and therefore easier for the slow battleships to be of some use.

And I really wanted to keep Malta in supply and that would be risked with an additional round.

This sadly forced the cruisers to avoid damaging the Italians. [:(]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

In the East Med the British cruisers could have lost control of the sea area to the Italians. Now it is contested and therefore easier for the slow battleships to be of some use.

And I really wanted to keep Malta in supply and that would be risked with an additional round.

warspite1

Mate - no problem. This is exactly the course of action I would have taken. We cannot afford to be reckless with the RN/French Navy.

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

Mate - no problem. This is exactly the course of action I would have taken. We cannot afford to be reckless with the RN/French Navy.
Well. I am beginning to have second thoughts. A bit late now. [:D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

warspite1

If I could be bothered, it would be interesting to see our naval search throws vs the Axis.......[:(]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

warspite1

If I could be bothered, it would be interesting to see our naval search throws vs the Axis.......[:(]
warspite1

I saw the 9 and thought.....[:)]...

...then scrolled down and saw the 8......[&:]

Ho hum.

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

warspite1

I saw the 9 and thought.....[:)]...

...then scrolled down and saw the 8......[&:]

Ho hum.
A one would have been wasted anyway since I would have no choice but to avoid combat.

Nothing in the 0-box to help the fighters find on a one. [:(] I prioritized one more fighter over the naval bomber.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Just got in. I guess that attack on Si-An just about sums up the Allied experience so far.....two crucial throws against the Communists and......

Orm

Post by Orm »

Yeah. That was a game changer. Who knew that missing HQ support was lucky. [:(] If they had, at least, succeded with the HQ support then the HQ would have been disorganized. They needed a 10 for the troops to stay organized.

Now the Chinese Communists needs to move many land units. Maybe for several impulses. So the question is whether this was the end of the plans on the Borderlands? It surely, at least, means a delay?
peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

Yup, no USSR landmoves over to crush Finland with when the communist are under threat.
"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Yeah. That was a game changer. Who knew that missing HQ support was lucky. [:(] If they had, at least, succeded with the HQ support then the HQ would have been disorganized. They needed a 10 for the troops to stay organized.

Now the Chinese Communists needs to move many land units. Maybe for several impulses. So the question is whether this was the end of the plans on the Borderlands? It surely, at least, means a delay?
warspite1

I suspect this doesn't delay Finland - I think it removes it as a possibility.

We are really being hit with a perfect storm - not getting initiative, the fine weather, US Entry, the losses in the air, sea and on land, the turn length - have I missed anything [;)].

With that sort of luck all we can do is hang on and hope things change and the US come in quickly. Maybe its a blessing in disguise.... or am I talking rubbish to try and stay positive? [:D]

Orm

Post by Orm »

You are not talking rubbish but lets try to stay positive anyway.

And with our luck we could miss a dozen, or more, US declarations of war without them ever entering. So I rather not pin all my hopes on US.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Japan only advanced with one unit into Sian.

We could make a low odds attack with the Communists or even lower odds with the Nationalists. Damn the attack weakness option. Never been much of a fan for that option and now it is really annoying. [:D]

Nationalists gets a 6:6 attack before air support and HQ support.

The Communists gets 13:6 before support. The major downside here is the automatic disorganization.

Once I would like to see early (in the turn) high risk attacks as they just did go punished. They could have lost two units (greater chance of that than the result they got) and the remainder disorganized.

Attachments
167.jpg
167.jpg (801.43 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

Or we go down the safe route. (Especially since we at the moment are not especially lucky)

We get this line with three Soviet land moves.

Thoughts?

Attachments
168.jpg
168.jpg (801.04 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

Maybe USSR should demand the Borderlands after all. This leaves 2 land moves for the Finnish front.

And one upside if there is a war is that if Germany is distracted by Finland then there might be less pressure on CW.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Maybe USSR should demand the Borderlands after all. This leaves 2 land moves for the Finnish front.

And one upside if there is a war is that if Germany is distracted by Finland then there might be less pressure on CW.
warspite1

That's pretty punchy Ormster. Trouble is its not as simple as the next impulse. If the Axis luck continues then this will be another long turn with fine weather. Another lucky dice throw and the Communists, already in dire trouble, could be toast this turn.

Think too about our land throws. If the Soviets get unlucky (as per China and France) in Finland that could be game set and match. If I thought the Germans needed to make sacrifices to place PeaceKeepers in Finland I would probably (maybe) go for it, but they can place 2,3 or maximum 4 corps/Mil/Garr around Helsinki and the Soviets are not taking Finland any time soon - and will take losses in failing.

Return to “After Action Report”