[RESOLVED] Won't launch

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

michaelm75au

RE: Won't launch

Post by michaelm75au »

USB 1/2 should be able to be plugged into USB 3. The extra power output of the USB 3 is on a different set of contacts.
Michael
BertyD

Post by BertyD »

Thanks michaelm
ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Unplug your second monitor, reboot Windows, run the game and check if the issue persists.

Did that. No go

Also replaced mouse and ran sfc /scannow.

Still no go
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Try running command directly by double-clicking on the EXE - it should be in the Command directory under the SteamApps directory.
There is a file 'force_steam' in that directory. If you get the error 'steam client not running', try removing this file and double clicking on the exe - it should come up without trying to connect to Steam to see if the game works free-standing.
Michael
BertyD

Post by BertyD »

I get the same result with the steam file present or removed (and with Steam client running or not running). A message box comes up saying -

"It appears you are running the command in Steam mode, but the Steam client does not appear to be running. Please ensure the Steam client is running before starting command. The game will now exit"

---------

Is there any more information I can supply? For example if I were a developer/coder and this was happening, would I be looking to any log for inspiration? Or running any other prog which might pick up the cause of this problem?
I believe myself to be very computer literate and can get down and dirty if someone can point me at the problem

-
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Try the following:

1. Create a local user account with administrator privileges in your Windows 10

Check the tutorial presented on the link below for on how to create a local user account:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... windows-10

Check the following guide on how to change the local user account from Standard to Administrator:
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-ti ... indows-10/

2. Uninstall the game

3.Reboot Windows and login in the new account

4. Install the game. Install the game in a different Steam library folder like you tried before.

For on how to add a new Steam library folder, please check the tutorial presented on the link below:
https://www.mameau.com/fix-new-steam-li ... -be-empty/

5. Run the game and check if the issue persists

Also make sure that Steam client is updated.
BertyD

Post by BertyD »

Issue persists after trying all of that.

Also tried (as administrator)

- regsvr32 kernelbase.dll and got "he module 'KERNALBASE.dll' was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found. Make sure that 'KERNELBASE.dll' is a valid DLL or OCX file"

-DISM /ScanHealth no issues found

- uninstalled steam (and therefore all my games) and then reinstalled

- selective startup using msconfig with all startup items and non microsoft services off
BertyD

Post by BertyD »

In my desperation to find what is causing this problem I went back to the basic of looking for how to sort out the kernelbase.dll error. I came across one youtube vid which suggested an automatic update (which fixed security issues in flash player for IE) could be causing the problem on starting Steam games - as well as quite a few other progs. On viewing the 'Setting>View your update history' this is listed:

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3132372)
Successfully installed on 30/12/2015

However when I go to 'uninstall an update' it is not listed, and nore are many other updates (approx 50% of those listed as installed). I'm guessing these may have been changed by larger updates

If I try to uninstall the kb using wusa.exe I get the message:

"Windows Update Standalone Installer
The update KB3132372 is not installed on this computer"

So either this KB is causing problems or Windows tells you when it installs stuff but not when they are removed by later updates
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

The issue is, if the cause for the issue you are experiencing, is a Windows update, then more players should be experiencing the same issue.
At least that's what the experience tell us, when in the past, there was an issue with on of our game and a Windows update.
Is this your only game running on Steam?
BertyD

Post by BertyD »

Your point is taken but quite often Win updates affect some and not others.And errors on user computers compound the problem no doubt.

Since I re-installed Steam it is the only game installed
edit - but I see what you are getting at so I reloaded 'Company of Heroes 2' and it loaded, and played, at the same time as I had World of Tanks running!

But I have been digging more and could do with advice

Running a program called Dependancy Walker I loaded regsvr32 and then called kernelbase.dll from within that (hope I expressed that properly). Errors were thrown up. I have cured two of them by uninstalling programs MSI Afterburner, Riva tuner and KeyScrambler. After rebooting and running it again one error remains which is being stubborn. It relates to a .dll called uxtheme.dll (or at least I think that is the faulting item). As far as I can work out this comes with Windows. I have tried 'patching' it with a program from MajorGeeks but the error remains. I believe it is a core part of Windows, and as sfc and DISM show no errors I'm stuck. Heres the offending entry from Dependancy Walker, with the lines before and after for context:

Loaded "c:\windows\system32\KERNEL.APPCORE.DLL" at address 0x00007FFDF7BD0000 by thread 1. Successfully hooked module.
DllMain(0x00007FFDF7BD0000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x0000000000000000) in "c:\windows\system32\KERNEL.APPCORE.DLL" called by thread 1.
DllMain(0x00007FFDF7BD0000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x0000000000000000) in "c:\windows\system32\KERNEL.APPCORE.DLL" returned 3203900929 (0xBEF7A601) by thread 1.
Loaded "c:\windows\system32\UXTHEME.DLL" at address 0x00007FFDF6500000 by thread 1. Successfully hooked module.
DllMain(0x00007FFDF6500000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x0000000000000000) in "c:\windows\system32\UXTHEME.DLL" called by thread 1.
DllMain(0x00007FFDF6500000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x0000000000000000) in "c:\windows\system32\UXTHEME.DLL" returned 1 (0x1) by thread 1.
LoadLibraryExW("kernelbase.dll", 0x0000000000000000, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH) called from "c:\windows\system32\REGSVR32.EXE" at address 0x00007FF673551F73 by thread 1.
LoadLibraryExW("kernelbase.dll", 0x0000000000000000, LOAD_WITH_ALTERED_SEARCH_PATH) returned 0x00007FFDF7D80000 by thread 1.
GetProcAddress(0x00007FFDF7D80000 [c:\windows\system32\KERNELBASE.DLL], "DllRegisterServer") called from "c:\windows\system32\REGSVR32.EXE" at address 0x00007FF673551FE7 and returned NULL by thread 1. Error: The specified procedure could not be found (127).
GetProcAddress(0x00007FFDF8CF0000 [c:\windows\system32\USER32.DLL], "SetProcessDPIAware") called from "c:\windows\system32\REGSVR32.EXE" at address 0x00007FF6735514C0 and returned 0x00007FFDF8D195F0 by thread 1.
Loaded "c:\windows\system32\SHCORE.DLL" at address 0x00007FFDF7C10000 by thread 1. Successfully hooked module.
DllMain(0x00007FFDF7C10000, DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH, 0x0000000000000000) in "c:\windows\system32\SHCORE.DLL" called by thread 1.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Can you find the files "steam_appid.txt" and "steam_api.dll" inside your game installation folder?
BertyD

Post by BertyD »

I have steam_api.dll but not staeam_appid.txt

So I created the txt file blank. Fail. I found an id for the game and put the number 321410 in it. Fail

Maybe if someone could confirm the correct id for Version 1.11 SR1 it might work
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

What happens now that you have created the txt file, if you run "Command.exe"?
BertyD

Post by BertyD »

Essentially the same as the original problem. Here is the newer event viewer/windows logs/applications error log. You might notice a difference in the install location from the original. Apart from that the only difference is the Faulting Process id

Code: Select all

Faulting application name: Command.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x577fb5f0
 Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.10586.494, time stamp: 0x5775e78b
 Exception code: 0xc00000fd
 Fault offset: 0x000ad16d
 Faulting process ID: 0x2dc0
 Faulting application start time: 0x01d1e713da6cf5ec
 Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Command Modern Air  Naval Operations\GameMenu_CMANO\..\Command.exe
 Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
 Report ID: 83becc5c-88fc-4bf6-88b2-6aeb8865616b
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 

VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Have you tried installing the game outside C:\ Program Files (x86)\Steam..., in for example C:\Games \Steam\....?
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Is the command.exe file in the main game directory with the other DLLs?
My install has the EXE in the main game directory, <main game directory>/GameMenu...

I have no issue with Command starting up in WIN10, although it is a standalone it should behave same way as it connects to steam for the Steam Workshop.
My WIN10.1511 version's KERNELBASE.DLL is dated 1.July.2016 2:49PM
Michael
BertyD

Post by BertyD »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Have you tried installing the game outside C:\ Program Files (x86)\Steam..., in for example C:\Games \Steam\....?

Originally it was installed in a different folder on a different disk, as can be seen in the log attached to my first or second post. Please see your pm's

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Is the command.exe file in the main game directory with the other DLLs?
My install has the EXE in the main game directory, <main game directory>/GameMenu...

I have no issue with Command starting up in WIN10, although it is a standalone it should behave same way as it connects to steam for the Steam Workshop.
My WIN10.1511 version's KERNELBASE.DLL is dated 1.July.2016 2:49PM

Yes. Please see post 13 picture above re behaviour starting as a standalone. I am pretty certain this issue is simply due to a Steam problem for reasons [;)]
HybridSpyda

Post by HybridSpyda »

ORIGINAL: BertyD

I have steam_api.dll but not staeam_appid.txt

So I created the txt file blank. Fail. I found an id for the game and put the number 321410 in it. Fail

Maybe if someone could confirm the correct id for Version 1.11 SR1 it might work

Hi BertyD,

Sorry to hear about the issues you have been having.

I can confirm that the BuildiD of 1225411 is the latest version and even though the readme says you have v1.11 SR1, you actually have v1.11 SR2. (This error will be fixed in the next patch)

We are trying to explore what options to suggest, but unfortunately we are unable to replicate the issue you are experiencing.
Matthew Ravenwood

QA & Operations Manager

Indirectlemon

Post by Indirectlemon »

ORIGINAL: BertyD

Yes. Please see post 13 picture above re behaviour starting as a standalone. I am pretty certain this issue is simply due to a Steam problem for reasons [;)]

Hi BertyD,

I have seen a similar issue in the past, which was fixed by going offline and online again on Steam.

Essentially, try running the game, if you get the "This game requires Steam" error message try the following:

1. Click the Steam tab in the top left, next to view.
2. Click the second option "Go Offline".
3. Click Restart in offline mode.
4. Repeat the above, however this time the second option should be "Go Online".
5. Try to run the game again.

I can't guarantee this will work, but it has fixed issues with some Steam games in the past, although this is the first time I've seen it with Command.
Lucas Young

Production Assistant

Image Image
BertyD

Post by BertyD »

ORIGINAL: Indirectlemon

Hi BertyD,

I have seen a similar issue in the past, which was fixed by going offline and online again on Steam.

Essentially, try running the game, if you get the "This game requires Steam" error message try the following:

1. Click the Steam tab in the top left, next to view.
2. Click the second option "Go Offline".
3. Click Restart in offline mode.
4. Repeat the above, however this time the second option should be "Go Online".
5. Try to run the game again.

I can't guarantee this will work, but it has fixed issues with some Steam games in the past, although this is the first time I've seen it with Command.

That did not work. But thank you all for helping
BertyD

Post by BertyD »

Something changed, but I don't really know what. Uninstalled from Steam then reinstalled. Same behaviour when starting from Steam. But now if I run from the command.exe suddenly it's working. May have been the offline/online thing which I did after reinstalling

Many thanks all. Got there somehow

UPDATE - In order to get back to normal I reinstalled KeyScrambler and MSI afterburner/Riva tuner statistics server. I found the game crashed when clicking the mouse on the map again. Uninstalled MSI etc and works again. But only if Steam is running in the background

Return to “Tech Support”