Newbie Questions

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

gw15

Newbie Questions

Post by gw15 »

What a game. Huge. All about logistics.
So I have some questions from the Allied side:
1.) On the auto supply screen, some of the bases have an "*" beside their name. What does that mean?
2.) I assume some bases are "supplying" bases meaning they are the primary bases that ship out to the other bases.
The manual mentions some bases are "major" type bases. How can I find out what the bases are? Maybe only 2 in the
campaign? SF and Colombo?
3.)What does the yellow and red "!" on bases mean?
4.) Is it safe to say that the auto convoys are for major bases not under threat of interception and the
individual TF supply convoys are set up to supply bases in riskier areas? Some of these could be switched to computer control.
5.) At what level of supplies/fuel do the auto convoys and computer controlled supply TF try to raise the target
base amount to? Required? 20,000? Can you designate the supply/fuel level at bases you want?
6.) Is there a link in the forums that discusses the logistics in detail that includes what the symbols mean that the
manual seems to have left out?

Yaab

RE: Newbie Questions

Post by Yaab »

ad 3)
Yellow - The supply at a given base dropped below x 2 supply requirement of the base.
Red - supply fell below x 1 supply requirement of the base.

Depending on your overall supply situation in a given region, this exclamations may disappear the next turn, return some other turn, or stay for a longer time.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Welcome

Search for a topic or file called Logistics 101.
rook749

Post by rook749 »

Welcome!

I would start at the link below as there are lots of solid information and links off of this one.

tm.asp?m=2260137
Schorsch

Post by Schorsch »

the manual is old but still relevant to most of ur questions
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

hi bommerrang, & welcome.
3) A red ! can also mean "insufficient garrison". When the base has less than the required # of troopers (measured by Assault Value), the local population riots & trashes the local base infrastructure. You'll lose 1 Victory Point each time this happens (a negligible penalty) but they can do a surprisingly large amount of damage. Not every base requires a garrison. This is most often a problem in India, sometimes in China, & often at bases (re-)captured from the enemy. In India, many small garrison units (LCUs) at rear-area bases are scheduled for automatic withdrawal, which can leave a garrison-req'd base naked to looting. There are usually many small Indian/Burmese units available for this duty, another source is the 'Destroyed Units' pool (hotkey 'i', then 'k'. The low-value LCUs can be bought out cheaply, when they arrive they can build back up to usable levels (if the needed 'devices' are available).
4) In general, yes. I'm not a fan of computer-control convoys. I use CS convoys a bit, but only on safe rear-area routes. It's important to size CS convoys at less than the capacity of their origin/destination ports, & for best efficiency, all ships should be class-sisters of identical speed/capacity.
5) A base will always try to accumulate supply to three times the supply req'ment of the ground/air units at its location. A Command HQ located at a base will increase its supply draw by 50K. A base will also try to accumulate fuel, based on TFs using it as a home-port. You can influence a base's supply-draw using the +/- arrows on the base screen. You can't directly increase fuel levels at a base, except by using it as a home-port for active TFs.
6) Here's a link to that Logistics 101 page that Dili mentioned: tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=1&key=logistics%2C101?
Where you see a post from Alfred, you can trust it as the definitive word.

(Edit, spelling errors)
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Thanks to everyone!

jmalter - #5. Wow, I didn't notice the little arrows to change base required amount. Thanks.

So the answers to my questions #1 and 2 will be in the 101 lesson?
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

1.) On the auto supply screen, some of the bases have an "*" beside their name. What does that mean?

The auto-convoy for the Allies has two sides - an eastern and western side.
The * means that the base is supplied from the western side
Colombo and San Francisco are the supply bases for each side.

It is helpful for you to mouse over every element in the game and read the fly-outs.

Attachments
Convoy.jpg
Convoy.jpg (81.22 KiB) Viewed 50 times
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: jmalter

4) In general, yes. I'm not a fan of computer-control convoys. I use CS convoys a bit, but only on safe rear-area routes. It's important to size CS convoys at less than the capacity of their origin/destination ports, & for best efficiency, all ships should be class-sisters of identical speed/capacity.

jmalter hits it on the head here. Don't bother spending time learning about auto anything with this game. The ability to make CS convoys essentially negates the need for "auto." With a CS convoy it's easy to set up and easy to monitor and change as needed. You'll be doing this all the time. Waypoints let you decide the route of the convoy and this is essential, especially as Japan and absolutely against human opponent for either side.

Efficiency is a concern for the Japanese but not so much for the Allies. You just want to make sure the convoy gets where you want when/as often as you want and for that make sure (as jmalter points out) to get ship speeds close to the same. You don't want a 10 knot ship slowing the entire convoy of 15 knot ships.

Here is Logistics 101 by Alfred.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2878790&mpage=1&key=logistics%2C101%26%2365533%3B
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Thanks again!
Yes, hovering over stuff does explain a lot. I missed it.
obvert - excellent point.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”