How not to start a game

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

johanwanderer

How not to start a game

Post by johanwanderer »

So I decided to start a game just to re-familiarize myself and have some fun. It was supposed to be a pre-warp empire, but a few minutes in, I realized that I already have hyperdrive tech. Oops.

After a few hours, I decided to go back and check the game setups. Not only I set myself as a standard empire, I also set everyone else at pre-warp. Double oops.

It'll probably be a very short game once I cleared out the pirates. Here's the YouTube link just for giggles:
XHuman Authority -- Distant Worlds: Universe

Edit: fix link.
johanwanderer

RE: How not to start a game

Post by johanwanderer »

Part 6, 7, and 8 are now up. Finally decided to move against a neighboring empire, but we also have lots of fuel issues. Hopefully those will be resolved in episode 9 :)
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Part 9 is up. We did manage to resolve some of the fuel issues, but we also tried to do a surprise attack against a second home world. It didn't work this time as they have proper defense.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Well, I managed to struggle quite a bit even with all the advantages I started with, so in part 10 and part 11 I started to clear out the pirates and colonize a few juicy planets.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

In part 12 we are upgrading our fleets, removing pirates, and generally just getting ourselves ready to capture a new home world.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Episode 13 is up. We managed to become peaceful again, albeit using rather dubious means.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Episode 14 is up. Question: do people prefer to watch shorter (30-minutes) episodes, or longer ones?
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Since the setup makes for quite an interesting game (we started in the middle of nowhere, but had a leg up on the other empires) I have decided to continue the series to its end.

I have switched to uploading one video a night for this series, and I'm trying really hard to keep them under 30 minutes apiece (without much success lately -- they have been running to over an hour each during the war). So I will try to post just a recap every few days, unless something really interesting happens.

Here are the latest episodes:
[*]XHuman Authority -- Distant Worlds: Universe - Part 16 - Positioning for War
[*]XHuman Authority -- Distant Worlds: Universe - Part 17 - War
[*]XHuman Authority -- Distant Worlds: Universe - Part 18 - Conquering

With XHuman Authority -- Distant Worlds: Universe - Part 19 - Space Control scheduled for tomorrow.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Quick update: we are are now up to Part 24 for this series.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Quick update: XHuman Authority part 1-30 had been published, and part 31-39 have been scheduled.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Quick update: XHuman Authority part 1-41 had been published.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Quick update: XHuman Authority part 1-50 had been published.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

This series is now concluded. XHuman Authority part 1-76 had been either published or scheduled.

The funny thing is, as I went and save the game for one last time, it crashed. I guess I should have used LargeAddressAware on my Steam version of DW as well :)

Thank you all for watching the series. I'll start another one on higher difficulty settings soon.

Return to “After Action Reports”