Hello everyone, I got back into this game. I have question...

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Gilmer

Hello everyone, I got back into this game. I have question...

Post by Gilmer »

Long story short, got back into the game and I played it on easy because normal was destroying me.

Anyway, I have Shakturi enabled and we have beaten them except... they have 12000K troops on their homeworld and I cannot get enough troops on to beat them. So, I thought, well, I'll just research the world destroyer beam and build one on a capital ship.

I put it on a capital ship and I am not above the ship design limit, but it won't let me build one.

Any thoughts?
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
johanwanderer

RE: Hello everyone, I got back into this game. I have question...

Post by johanwanderer »

That should have worked. I remember building ships with super weapons before. Maybe you need to design it as a world destroyer and build it on a planet just as you would with construction ships?

An alternative is to land a bunch of special forces to destroy their facilities (maybe including shields) and just bomb it to nothing.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

I thought it might be built on the planet, but I don't see it.

I just got the final upgrade for special forces, so maybe that will work.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Are there any messages in red text at the top of the ship design screen? Insufficient life support or habitation modules, no command center, etc?
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

Well while I'm not sure why your having problems with the world destroyer, I do have another option that might work for you.

Build a ship design heavily loaded with bombardment weapons and deal with them that way. Since the Shakturi are the most hated species in the game, you should not take much of a reputation hit for using a planetary bombardment to end them. Plus you can then colonize the planet yourself.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: Aeson

Are there any messages in red text at the top of the ship design screen? Insufficient life support or habitation modules, no command center, etc?

No, I know about that.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Well while I'm not sure why your having problems with the world destroyer, I do have another option that might work for you.

Build a ship design heavily loaded with bombardment weapons and deal with them that way. Since the Shakturi are the most hated species in the game, you should not take much of a reputation hit for using a planetary bombardment to end them. Plus you can then colonize the planet yourself.

How do I do that? I would do that in a heart beat.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Find or create a ship design that incorporates bombardment weapons - Shaktur FireStorm torpedoes, Nuclear Exterminators, Nuclear Devastators, Heavy Railguns, and Massive Railguns - and build some of them, then order the ships to attack the planet itself. Note that colonies with completed Planetary Shield Generators are immune to all bombardment weapons other than the Super Laser, and that PSGs can be destroyed by Special Forces units which land on the colony.

Note that if you want the bombardment to accomplish anything in a timely fashion, you need to have bring a lot of bombardment weapons to the party. This generally means dedicated bombardment ships; one or two bombardment weapons sprinkled on each ship in your fleet will not cut it unless your fleet is quite large or willing to spend a very long time bombing the planet. Also note that the bombardment damage you get out of Heavy and Massive Railguns kind of stinks by comparison to what you get out of Nuclear Devastators and Exterminators whether you look at it per weapon or per size invested, so if you're going to build a dedicated bombardment vessel, use the Nuclear Devastators and Exterminators. The bombardment missiles may be useless against ships and stations, but they kill planets much more rapidly than the railguns do. If you happen to have Shaktur FireStorm torpedoes, count yourself blessed; the Shaktur FireStorms are both reasonably good anti-ship weapons and the best bombardment weapons in the game.

Also, one other thing that comes to mind for why you cannot build the design armed with the Super Laser - does your empire have enough money to pay for the ship?
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: Aeson
Find or create a ship design that incorporates bombardment weapons - Shaktur FireStorm torpedoes, Nuclear Exterminators, Nuclear Devastators, Heavy Railguns, and Massive Railguns - and build some of them, then order the ships to attack the planet itself. Note that colonies with completed Planetary Shield Generators are immune to all bombardment weapons other than the Super Laser, and that PSGs can be destroyed by Special Forces units which land on the colony.

Note that if you want the bombardment to accomplish anything in a timely fashion, you need to have bring a lot of bombardment weapons to the party. This generally means dedicated bombardment ships; one or two bombardment weapons sprinkled on each ship in your fleet will not cut it unless your fleet is quite large or willing to spend a very long time bombing the planet. Also note that the bombardment damage you get out of Heavy and Massive Railguns kind of stinks by comparison to what you get out of Nuclear Devastators and Exterminators whether you look at it per weapon or per size invested, so if you're going to build a dedicated bombardment vessel, use the Nuclear Devastators and Exterminators. The bombardment missiles may be useless against ships and stations, but they kill planets much more rapidly than the railguns do. If you happen to have Shaktur FireStorm torpedoes, count yourself blessed; the Shaktur FireStorms are both reasonably good anti-ship weapons and the best bombardment weapons in the game.

Also, one other thing that comes to mind for why you cannot build the design armed with the Super Laser - does your empire have enough money to pay for the ship?

Hi, yes, we have millions in cash. I think they already have a planetary shield unfortunately.

Maybe it is the weapon. I am trying to build a ship with a super laser? Size of component 640. But the build of the ship is under the limit as I have researched Colossal Construction.
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

The easiest way is to take out the shield with special forces as a planet destroyer is end game tech and special forces are available early game and should be around in large enough amounts to make sure the shield goes down so you can bombard.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Maybe it is the weapon. I am trying to build a ship with a super laser? Size of component 640. But the build of the ship is under the limit as I have researched Colossal Construction.
Based on a quick test in the Ancient Galaxy scenario, it appears as though you have to go through the global ship construction orders menu - the one accessed through the button with the hammer icon in the top center of the screen - if you want to build standard warships which are armed with Super Lasers. I was unable to get such vessels to appear in the right-click 'build at' menu with a space port selected, or in the drop-down list in the Construction Yards menu, but could select the vessels from the list of designs for each role in the global ship construction orders menu, and Super Laser armed ships ordered thusly appeared in the build queues of construction-capable stations and were built as construction yards became available. I didn't check the retrofit options, but you might be able to get around this that way as well.

Note that Resupply Ships armed with Super Lasers can be ordered through the right-click 'build at' menu with a colony selected even though standard warships so armed cannot be ordered thusly with a space port selected; presumably the Resupply Ships can also be ordered through the Construction Yards and Colonies menus, though I did not check.

It's been long enough since I played around with Super Lasers that I don't recall if it has always been the case that standard warships armed with Super Lasers cannot be ordered through the right-click and Construction Yards menus, and anyways I have only placed Super Lasers on Resupply Ships ever since an accident involving a planet I was invading and a battle fleet which included at least one warship armed with a Super Laser, so I may not have noticed even if it was. It is also possible that there is some arcane rule which prevents ships which get too much of their firepower from or dedicate too much of their size to a Super Laser from appearing in certain build lists, though I did not do any testing to see if such is the case.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Aeson and everyone else who helped, thank you very much.

Aeson, you are correct. I can build it there. Thanks!!

Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

It worked. I destroyed the Shakturi and I got a "You won the game!" message. The Ancient Guardians congratulated me and then left the system.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”