Is it really worth the price?

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Paullus, Peter Fisla

towerbooks3192

Is it really worth the price?

Post by towerbooks3192 »

I know nothing about ASL and I found this game on the store. The price is a bit scary but is the content worth it?
et ignobiles oblivio
Big Ivan

RE: Is it really worth the price?

Post by Big Ivan »

Hi towerbooks3192

I can offer my opinion,

I like it for the price. It is my go to game after my daily fill of John Tillers Campaign Series and Campaign Series Middle East.

I think it is as close you can get to ASL but instead of counters and boards its computerized on a screen.

Not having played ASL you may not be able to appreciate that fully. It is a small unit action tactical game so if your
not into squads, leaders, individual support weapons and single vehicles like tanks and halftracks it may not be for you.

It has a good following of hardcore followers, lots of scenarios you can download from this site, a full editor to make your own scenarios and finally it is one man's (Peter Fisla) labor of love.
He spent many years programming and developing the game and did a superb job too I might add.

For me the price tag was well worth it, it has given me many hours of enjoyment!!

Thanks
John
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
fuselex

Post by fuselex »

If it is the type of game you like to dabble in , I really don`t think you could ask for more.
I think it`s up to about 160+ scenario`s , Good luck playing them in a hurry :)
So it really comes down to whether you like this style of game .
Maybe the price is scary ? , but i don`t think you could beat the content
rico21

Post by rico21 »

+1

Attachments
priceandvalue.jpg
priceandvalue.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 139 times
fuselex

Post by fuselex »

unsure where or what the prices of things are where you are from.
but here if I took the family to maccas or KFC I wouldn`t see much change out of the price of this game
rico21

Post by rico21 »

where I am from :

1000 hours of game / 50 § == 5 cents/hour + Nothing else in other game == Big Economy

In fact it' s missing a demo for everyone does their opinion !
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

My main concern is if the game is heavily reliant on making your own scenarios rather than generating random ones. The game looks interesting and I am not a stranger to war gaming prices or prices of games in general since games are expensive here in Australia. It seems like the game is a good one and despite not being able to play ASL in real life or any digital form of it, I am really interested in diving in to this game but held back by the scary price tag and my concerns.
et ignobiles oblivio
genesismwt

Post by genesismwt »

For me, Rico's statement is spot on. I have gotten my money's worth out of it already.

I will say though that knowledge of ASL is a big leg up. I can understand the frustration some have with not being shown many of the numbers, so they don't how to assess their chances of success. I admit that I probably would not have stuck with it if I did not already know ASL.

That being said though, I don't think that TotH could not be played without knowledge of ASL. One just has to be observant.
The game is afoot!

Mike
GJK

Post by GJK »

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

My main concern is if the game is heavily reliant on making your own scenarios rather than generating random ones. The game looks interesting and I am not a stranger to war gaming prices or prices of games in general since games are expensive here in Australia. It seems like the game is a good one and despite not being able to play ASL in real life or any digital form of it, I am really interested in diving in to this game but held back by the scary price tag and my concerns.

Curious as to why you could potentially play this game but not ASL via VASL? There's some ASL groups in Melbourne that I'm aware of too (I obviously don't know how far away that is from you).

As to TOTH being worth it; it depends on what you're looking for. I think that it's a fine WW2 tactical game if you're into old school turn-based hex and counter wargaming but if you're only ever going to play against the AI, then you'll surpass its capabilities once you get the gist of how the game plays. There is (currently) no random scenario generator but there's 100's of user made scenarios out now so you could potentially put in many, many hours with it. In its present state however I think that the game has the potential to be THE premiere WW2 tactical game of this genre (i.e., 2D and not Combat Mission 3D like). The great news is that Peter seems to be committed to expanding upon it and so it's not a "dead" project by any stretch.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
fuselex

Post by fuselex »

Hi tower:)
from Australia as well , think the physical game and the download was about $70-$80 with the currency exchange.
the digital download was a lot cheaper.
You will spend many weeks or months trying to get through the content.
And now there are some user made campaigns going on that look impressive :)
I certainly think it`s worth it
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Worth the Price? That's a question that needs to be answered by asking: Relative to what? Other war games? A dinner for two? a round of Golf? Half way decent war games generate hours of entertainment compared to many other leisure activities. Very cost effective for the history buff. My time with tactical ground warfare games is spent elsewhere. But I do not think you can go "wrong" trying this product despite the reviews. Consider it an intro to computer gaming WWII ground tactical. It's on sale now I think.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
rico21

Post by rico21 »

[:(]

Attachments
20120527..laliens.jpg
20120527..laliens.jpg (122.43 KiB) Viewed 139 times
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

It's a five-month-old game that is currently on sale for $35 with hundreds? of custom scenarios. Yes, it is worth it, although the UI can drive me nuts. And I never played ASL.

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”