Upgrading Space Ports Question

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

dereck

Upgrading Space Ports Question

Post by dereck »

Other than going to each space station, is there any way to use the screens to upgrade a Small Space Port to a Medium Space Port and then a Medium to a Large?

Thanks
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
USS Midway CV-41 (1981-1984)
Whidbey Island, WA (1984-1986)
Naval Reserve (1986-1992)
stuart3

RE: Upgrading Space Ports Question

Post by stuart3 »

Go to Construction Yards (F10).

The top construction yards are your space ports. The Name column will list them under "planet/moonname Spaceport". Look at the Role column which lists them as "Base, (large, Medium or Small) Spaceport.

Find one you want to upgrade, scroll down to that planet or moon at the bottom of the list and order the size of spaceport you want to upgrade to.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

As an addition to the above. The ship list allows you to hand pick the design (among those available) as long as you have one type of "ship" selected. The construction yard link is to a sub-set of the ship list.

So in construction yard, sort by size, and use control and shift click to multi select those that you want. Then pick the design to retrofit to at the pulldown list at the bottom.

Getting used to multi selection in the ship list is very nice when it comes to retrofit, fleet management, and probably a few more things. Sorting it is nice to for instance finding transports not filled with troops, figuring out which fleets have not yet retrofitted, and such things. For the latter sort by instance by maintenance or firepower to find those that "differ" from the latest model.
dereck

Post by dereck »

1. I'm at the Construction Yards (F10). I've picked my small space port but I don't get scrolling down to what?
All it allows me to purchase are ships - no medium/large space ports are listed at all.

All my Construction Yard screen has is at the top a list of the yards and then at the bottom windows for cargo, components, construction yards, docking bays, troops and characters and weapons. What IS this second part he's talking about?

2. Also, can anybody tell my why suddenly my notify via email doesn't work? I don't think I've received an email for a few days from the queries I've posted and I always check that option.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
stuart3

Post by stuart3 »

It's all in the list of Construction Yards at the top of the screen, to the left of the galaxy map. Space ports are listed at the top of the list. Scroll down that same list and you will find the construction ships listed. Continue to scroll down past the construction ships and at the end and you will find your planets. Pick the one corresponding to the name of the space port.

RemoteLeg

Post by RemoteLeg »

A few times I've come across a glitch where you cannot retrofit from the Construction Yard screen (this also applies to retrofitting from the Ships and Bases screen). When I click retrofit the drop-down list of choices is always empty.
I don't know why this happens or how to fix it, but when it happens I can still retrofit by selecting the port and right-clicking on it in the main window.
Does anybody have a fix for this? Even saving and reloading the game doesn't fix it.

Assuming you do not have this glitch. Here's how you retrofit multiple bases:
- open the Ships and Bases screen (F11)
- filter by Space Ports
- sort by Role
- select all the ports you want to retrofit
- click the Retrofit button
- select the design you want to retrofit to from the drop-down list

Of course this assumes you have already created the new design.

Attachments
Retrofit1.jpg
Retrofit1.jpg (127.47 KiB) Viewed 115 times
See my Distant Worlds tutorial videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VfLtaT9Y81
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

It is possible that the list is empty because a spaceport is damaged and/or still being built.
RemoteLeg

Post by RemoteLeg »

Ports being built will have orange text in the list of ports.

dereck

Post by dereck »

The only option I get is for the SAME size space port. I want to convert a small space port into a medium space port but I don't get that option.

The ONLY way I can do it is by going into the system where it is and clicking on the physical space port and using the menu that comes up there. That's bogus in my opinion.
PO2 US Navy (1980-1986);
RemoteLeg

Post by RemoteLeg »

It sounds like you have the same glitch I had if you can click on the port in the main window and retrofit to a larger design from there.
I don't have a solution, but be aware that this is not a game design flaw. You SHOULD be able to retrofit multiple space ports to a larger design using the Ships and Bases window as described earlier.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”