Books NOT Recommended

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

Books NOT Recommended

Post by John 3rd »

Good day All.

We always have threads running on books to read. People here provide fantastic direction of books concerning research, battles, and biographies but rarely do we talk about books NOT to read.

I have encountered such a work. After thoroughly enjoying the recommendations on "The Hunters" and "The Hunted," I ran into a terrible book. Just read through John Clancy's 'The Most Dangerous Moment of the War': Japan's Attack on the Indian Ocean, 1942. The book felt like it had great possibilities with the topic. Have always felt that the Indian Ocean raid is a GREAT topic for a new work.

Reading the book was terribly disappointing. The book was horrifically repetitive, not very well edited, and rather boring to read. It is a complete thumbs down on my part.

Has anyone read anything else recently that fits this description as a 'don't spend your money on this?'

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Rising-Sun

RE: Books NOT Recommended

Post by Rising-Sun »

Came across a lot of books that are terrible. Mostly are misspell and poor layouts.

So I need to stop buying books online, goto stores and read as well check out the features. But that can take time though, just so many things to do and very little time to work with.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Good day All.

We always have threads running on books to read. People here provide fantastic direction of books concerning research, battles, and biographies but rarely do we talk about books NOT to read.

I have encountered such a work. After thoroughly enjoying the recommendations on "The Hunters" and "The Hunted," I ran into a terrible book. Just read through John Clancy's 'The Most Dangerous Moment of the War': Japan's Attack on the Indian Ocean, 1942. The book felt like it had great possibilities with the topic. Have always felt that the Indian Ocean raid is a GREAT topic for a new work.

Reading the book was terribly disappointing. The book was horrifically repetitive, not very well edited, and rather boring to read. It is a complete thumbs down on my part.

Has anyone read anything else recently that fits this description as a 'don't spend your money on this?'
warspite1

Well to be fair I think the title kind of gives away the experience you subsequently had.

How in the name of Bonaparte's balls could the opportunistic, 'hit and run' Indian Ocean Raid possibly be described as the most dangerous moment of the war??
I am fascinated to know what the author's justification for such a title is though!

Good thread subject - I have read a few stinkers in my time.....

- Neptune's Inferno (Hornfischer) - see below

- The Road to Stalingrad (Erikson) - I may have been too young/inexperienced to appreciate this book - or maybe it really was as poorly written as I remember. Like Hornfischer with Neptune's Inferno, Erickson's sentences are just impenetrable. Could be accurate, could be inaccurate - I have no idea because I didn't understand what he was talking about.....

- Destroyer Down (Evans) - supposedly a book about Royal Navy destroyer losses in World War II. Okay....there is actually a chapter on the loss of HMS Bison. You know, Bison...the French destroyer..... Appalling.

- Soviet Naval Operations in the Great Patriotic War (Achkasov/Pavlovich) - this is effectively a (large) Soviet propaganda leaflet complete with not mentioning Soviet ships that were sunk and the Soviets shooting down all 50 of the attacking German aircraft (despite only being attacked by 12). History? No, not even close.

- The Solomons Campaigns 1942-43 (McGee) - the first part of this book is simply extracts from Morison. Yes that's right extracts. I mean seriously what is the point of that?

Edit: With reasoning added

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

How in the name of Bonaparte's balls could the opportunistic, 'hit and run' Indian Ocean Raid possibly be described as the most dangerous moment of the war??
I am fascinated to know what the author's justification for such a title is though!

It's a comment attributed to Churchill as to how he felt upon hearing that the Japanese Fleet were threatening Ceylon. Churchill feared it was the precursor to an invasion.
This was the only sig line I could think of.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Buckrock

It's a comment attributed to Churchill as to how he felt upon hearing that Japanese Fleet were threatening Ceylon.
warspite1

Well if he is using a quote from the time i.e. without hindsight, then that at least makes sense, although clearly is over dramatic in the context of what we know about the operation. Maybe purposely so in order to increase book sales.....

Orm

Post by Orm »

Maybe purposely so in order to increase book sales.....
Probably.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Interesting to see "Neptune's Inferno" in the list. Any particular reason you didn't like it?
is it inaccurate? I read it long time ago, but I didn't remember it being boring or poorly written
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

It's a comment attributed to Churchill as to how he felt upon hearing that Japanese Fleet were threatening Ceylon.
warspite1

Well if he is using a quote from the time i.e. without hindsight, then that at least makes sense, although clearly is over dramatic in the context of what we know about the operation. Maybe purposely so in order to increase book sales.....

The author must quote Churchill's comment about 1,000,000+ times in the text of the book...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Interesting to see "Neptune's Inferno" in the list. Any particular reason you didn't like it?
is it inaccurate? I read it long time ago, but I didn't remember it being boring or poorly written
warspite1

I didn't get far enough into it to find out if it was inaccurate (I have no reason to believe it was). It would be difficult to make that subject boring (it was perhaps the most interesting period of the PTO) - I just found reading the prose to be like wading through treacle. The author's style of writing was just so bad I gave up after a couple of chapters.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

warspite1

The author must quote Churchill's comment about 1,000,000+ times in the text of the book...
warspite1

Well he won't have much else to say to pad the book out otherwise [:D]

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Neptune's Inferno is a poorly written, poorly composed, poorly edited book. Warspite is right - it was challenging to make a book on that topic boring, but the author even managed to do that. I think the author knew he was working with a great topic that would "write itself." So he took shortcuts and figured the book would indeed write itself. But it didn't.

P.S. Nearly every book title/creative endeavor is selected with the idea of sales, right or wrong. Look at how many things on YouTube incorporate the word "sexy" just to draw interest: "Sexy Western Feature Movie from 1992" (with now female characters); "Sexy flash flood in Yuma in 20111" (with nothing hinting at sex appeal whatsoever). The Ceylon Raid writer got carried away with the magnificence of Churchill's words, forgetting that reality didn't support the statement.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Neptune's Inferno is a poorly written, poorly composed, poorly edited book. Warspite is right - it was challenging to make a book on that topic boring, but the author even managed to do that. I think the author knew he was working with a great topic that would "write itself." So he took shortcuts and figured the book would indeed write itself. But it didn't.

P.S. Nearly every book title/creative endeavor is selected with the idea of sales, right or wrong. Look at how many things on YouTube incorporate the word "sexy" just to draw interest: "Sexy Western Feature Movie from 1992" (with now female characters); "Sexy flash flood in Yuma in 20111" (with nothing hinting at sex appeal whatsoever). The Ceylon Raid writer got carried away with the magnificence of Churchill's words, forgetting that reality didn't support the statement.
warspite1

Good point. In order to drum up support for my after action replays, my next AAR will be called Hot Sex Show - Adults Only!

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Now I know this is not the point of the thread but rather than be just negative about Neptune, how about a positive to even it up that deals with the subject (and more)?

Guadalcanal (Frank)

This book is just brilliant. The book concentrates on the land, air and naval war in an easy to read, logical way. There are many books I deperately want to read again - this is in the top 5 of that list.

bush

Post by bush »

+1 (2?) for Neptune's Inferno.

Also, author H. Paul Jeffers has proven inaccurate and boring in 2 different bios - Truscott and Collins.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Now I know this is not the point of the thread but rather than be just negative about Neptune, how about a positive to even it up that deals with the subject (and more)?

Guadalcanal (Frank)

This book is just brilliant. The book concentrates on the land, air and naval war in an easy to read, logical way. There are many books I deperately want to read again - this is in the top 5 of that list.
+10
JamesM

Post by JamesM »

- The Road to Stalingrad (Erikson) - I may have been too young/inexperienced to appreciate this book - or maybe it really was as poorly written as I remember. Like Hornfischer with Neptune's Inferno, Erickson's sentences are just impenetrable. Could be accurate, could be inaccurate - I have no idea because I didn't understand what he was talking about.....

I have to disagree with this one, I found both books in the series (Road to Stalingrad and Road to Berlin) interesting and useful reads.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I definitely do not recommend the following titles:

Forks or Chopsticks: How I Singlehandedly Saved Eastern Civilization Douglas MacArthur

Road to Purr Edition: or How I Killed Schroedinger's Cat Douglas MacArthur

The Moon Also Rises: How I Saved the Chrysanthemum Throne Douglas MacArthur

Poseys For Peking: or How I Learned to Love the A-Bomb Douglas MacArthur

I haven't read the rest of his stuff yet so, for the moment, I cannot comment.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: jamesm

I have to disagree with this one, I found both books in the series (Road to Stalingrad and Road to Berlin) interesting and useful reads.
warspite1

Fair enough, and I think that any book where the main gripe is the author's writing style will see opposite opinions.

Maybe I sold it too early? After all, I find when reading about Hitler, the Nazi structure and Germany generally it is far easier, as a general rule, to understand than it is when reading about Stalin, the Communist set up and the Soviet Union. So it could be that I attempted this too early in my military study journey.

All I know is that three times I tried to get into this book and three times I failed to penetrate the 'waffle'.

I am glad you had a different experience [:)].

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

The Germans have an answer to Belgian waffles. They call them Luftwaffles.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

One other book to point out. I would not quite put it in the 'don't spend your money on this' but perhaps 'don't exactly rush out to buy it'.

Siege Malta 1942-43 (Bradford)

There is nothing really wrong with this book - its an okay read.... but nothing really right either. It is short on real detail that I would have expected when writing about such an epic siege e.g. aircraft strength on both sides at various stages (or any stage!). There is no detailed appendix providing information on the strength of British army units on the island as the siege progressed. No detail on the Royal Naval strength either. As a useful tool to further understand the role of Malta in the Mediterranean War, the possibilities for the Axis (details around Hercules) and the difficulties (and opportunities) for the Allies, its kind of chocolate teapot territory.

For a general overview its no more than okay.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”