World War One Mod!

Please post here for questions and discussion about general game modding

Moderator: Jason Petho

Warhorse

World War One Mod!

Post by Warhorse »

Hi All!

At long last, I'm happy to announce a World War One Mod is being made available to you all who

are interested!!

Many years ago, I believe it was 2005, Paul Adaway came up with this mod based on West Front.

He enlisted the help of the following:

Wyatt Kappely
Mike Amos
Chris Mee
George Smithson
Rod Coles
Huib Versloot
Mark Mcdougall
Gary Tiger21(??)
Chema(??)
Andrew (no last name)
Erik (no last name)

We worked on it for quite a time, then after awhile it just kind of fizzled out. I tinkered with it on

and off as time allowed updating graphics and with the help of Wyatt made a few more advances. I

tried to get in touch with Paul over the years to no avail, to see if he had any interest in continueing

this work, as I thought it was fascinating!

A little while ago, I was burning to play against someone, and having made a few scenario's

decided to only make it available to a few friends I could trust to not let it out, and we have been

playing a team game and scenario's amongst ourselves for a few months.

Out of the blue today, who of all people responded to a PM I had sent out long ago, but Paul

Adaway himself!! He told me to go ahead and release it with his blessing, to which I was thrilled,

no longer feeling like I couldn't let this out without his ok, as a matter of honor. I ran the idea past

my Chief of operations, Jason Petho, to see if it was ok to release, as I didn't want to overstep any

bounds with future game developement, and he ok'd it as well, so here it is!

The campaign generator works, as well as the battle generator, and there are quite a few scenario's

as well. I sincerely hope you all enjoy this game as much as I do and start PBEM'ing the heck out

of it. Gas is fired, if available, by hitting the ALT button while in plot mode. Artillery is not very

accurate, so be very careful how close you plot to your own lines! Observation Balloons are the

key to accuracy, so any scenario design should include a few of these each side. They do not

move, but have a heght advantage to see out to full visability.

The UI is the old interface, I'm afraid, I can't update it as I'm no programmer, and since there are

gas and other routines involved, I can't update it to 2.02 standard as my Korean War, but this game

rocks!!

Download this into your Matrix Games\John Tillers Campaign Series structure, so it will be C:

\Games\Matrix Games\John Tiller's Campaign Series\WW1 v1.1. You will find three mods in the

mods folder to use with JSGME which is in the game, they are 3D textured terrain, 2D terrain, and

water.

Country's included are;

00 Allied Russian Empire
01 Axis German Empire
03 Axis Austro-Hungarian Empire
04 Axis Ottoman Empire (Turkey)
05 Axis Ukrainia
06 Axis Kingdom of Bulgaria
07 Allied Poland
08 Allied French Third Republic
09 Allied British Empire
10 Allied USA
11 Allied Portugal
12 Allied Kingdom of Belgium
13 Allied Kingdom of Serbia
14 Allied Empire of Japan
15 Allied Kingdom of Greece
16 Axis Bolsheviks
17 Allied Kingdom of Romania
18 Allied Kingdom of Italy
19 Allied Arab Revolt
20 Allied Kingdom of Montenegro

Welcome to WW1!!!

Link- https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmEaW_rdp6RpgSs4CrGCs6yAGJFf
UPDATE-https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmEaW_rdp6RpgS3Heyk3XxRHZQ47
Fixes an error in the British Corps oob, replaced the WF New Campaign Screen, and fixed an error in the Tro3d terrain file. Unzip into your WW1 folder.

Attachments
WW1.jpg
WW1.jpg (97.84 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
danlongman

RE: World War One Mod!

Post by danlongman »

Well thanks a whole bunch there Warhorse and coy!
Is there anything special I have to do with this
file to get it going? I won't have time today but
I will soon.
dan
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Hi guy!

Nope, just unzip the file into the John Tilleers Campaign Series folder, it will make a new folder called WW1 v1.1. To play, in the new game folder look for World War One.exe!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Citizen Emperor

Post by Citizen Emperor »

Gas shells? As in mustard gas? What is their battlefield effect in the game?

This just might be awesome...
"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon."
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Exactly, one in the same! They mostly cause immediate disruption, as well as elimination or reduction, a sick-looking colored graphic for it as well! Heidicourt scenario has it, and I think Kaiserschlact does as well.
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
RichMunn

Post by RichMunn »

I can thoroughly recommend this mod. Played PBEM and in a team game which have both been excellent.

Rich
RichMunn
DM729

Post by DM729 »

Hi Warhorse, This mod is great!!! I always wished for a WWI version of CS ever since I first got hooked by the Talonsoft editions many years ago. You and your comrades did an awesome job on this. I downloaded and unzipped it without a hitch into my CS 1.04 folder and it plays great. I first thought something was wrong with the artillery dialog in some scenarios (Meeting Engagement and Skirmish for Arras) when the game reported no artillery available even though there are guns deployed on the field. Is this because some are direct-fire only? The French 75's are indirect fire capable but the Germans are not. Also got an internal file error saying a British Yeomanry unit was missing when I opened the OOB editor. That error only appeared once and has not appeared again. I should have written down the exact name of the unit.
JSGME is there and the graphic mods are sweet! Thanks for a another great CS Mod. Now I can go from Flanders Fields to Korea to Ktalan!

Cheers!
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Hi!

Here are a few pointers, I'm sorry I never got around to making a notes yet about everything!

Artillery- I went through the oob’s, and marked all indirect fire as such at the end of the unit name, and, you can also tell if you are using 2d NATO sysmbols, they are the artillery symbol. Be very careful in plotting your arty, it will not only usually not show up next turn, but will also stray from intended targeted hex, I can really ruin your own troops day! This is by design, to represent the more primitive laying techniques, and lack of radio contact. Some scenario’s will have an observation balloon, they are spotters, and will make sure you stay spot on.

Field Guns- These are represented in 2d by the infantry gun symbol, and are direct fire weapons only, so make sure they can see what you want to hit, and move them around periodically, as your opponent will definitely want to get rid of these pests!

Machineguns-Very powerful, protect them as well, they are your friend, if you own them!

Aircraft-Only good for showing positions, and if left in place, will spot troops within sight, not artillery spotters, very low attack factor, and hard to shoot down, I usually won’t waste fire on them, you mostly will be lucky to get them to retreat!

Gas-Some guns have it, denoted by a green ‘G’ in the info box top right when selected, use is by using the SHIFT key while plotting artillery with Ctrl depressed as well. Effects are usually immediate disruption, but I have seen reductions as well.

K'talan Mod, haven't heard of that one in some time! A pity, I liked that one very much as well.I actually started the K'talan one as a fun only thing to kick the AI's ass when playing DCG's, which is all I used to do until I discovered PBEM!

Let me know if you stumble onto that missing unit, also, check in the scenario's section at the Blitz.org under CS-WW1 mod, for all the updated scenario's in the database! I corrected some problems while I was uploading them all.

Really glad you like the mod!

Found the oob error, the $Corps had an invalid date spread for the 74th Yeomanry Division. I corrected the entry in the Corps file, where to make it available?
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
DM729

Post by DM729 »

Hi Mike,
I'll be on the lookout for the missing unit and let you know the status. I'm glad you designed the technological limitations of the era into the mod. The balloons look cool and add a new dimension to the battlespace. I also like the variety of the scenarios which cover the different theaters of the war from not only the Western and Eastern Fronts but also the often forgotten African and Middle Eastern battles. It's fitting this mod was released during the same month as the hundredth anniversary of the Battle of The Somme.
As far as K'talan is concerned, I had always noticed it on The Blitz but never had the time to fully explore it until recently. Alternate history has always been an interest of mine. I'm working on a scenario for it involving German heavy armor including the David Units. I'll send it to you once it's finished.

Keep up the good work!
Don
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Hi Don,

Send me an email at impalass(at)ptd(dot)net, I'll give you the corrected Corps file! That's so awesome you are making a scenario for the K'talan game, maybe breathe some new life into it! Not sure, but I think I was coverting that game into the 2.02 standard, will have to check, has been awhile! Those David hybrid tanks can teach those aliens a lesson!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Hey Mike... Thanks for making this mod and releasing it for all of us. Tried it out and I think it's great!
Keep up the good work.

In the future I'd like to create a few WWI scenarios with your mod and share them with the community.
Jeff
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

You're quite welcome! Some scenario's would be a great addition, thanks!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Hoplite1963

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Hi Mike
Thanks very much for releasing this mod. Also plan to do some extra scenarios for it. Hopefully the mad can act as a test bed and ideas generator for the WW1 CS game that is somewhere on the to do list for the CS team, in the same way that the Vietnam scenarios done for the Divided Ground game did for the CS Vietnam game due out at the end of the year.

There are quite a few board games on the topic that could serve as a source of extra scenarios. SPI's "Soldiers" and its various derivative's comes to mind. As well as the newer "Infantry Attacks" by Avalanche Press and "Landships" by Clash of Arms games.

I think there is also some scope for converting scenarios from the JTS Great War PC games scaling up scenarios from "Squad Battles First World War" and scaling down scenarios or parts of them from France 1914 and East Prussia 1914.

Really looking forward to playing and contributing to this.

Kind regards
Ian
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Hi Ian!

I actually did convert two scenario's from East Prussia '14, Creeping Tide, and Battle of Lyck!! So much out there, found some Great War Spearhead scenario's as well, much more than the trench warfare everyone thinks of WW1!!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Updated the description for Ortelsburg 1914 to advise against using EA, with the bunkers EA makes it impossible to take objectives!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
HoustonAerosFan

Post by HoustonAerosFan »

Looks great so far.

I've already forgotten the old interface...how do I tell what terrain is in a hex?
HoustonAerosFan

Post by HoustonAerosFan »

Oh, yes - Ye olde "U" hotkey.....
Warhorse

Post by Warhorse »

Sorry, I see you found it! Glad you are trying it out!
Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com
Deepstuff3725

Post by Deepstuff3725 »

Just posted a map of the Verdun, France area for the WWI mod. I created it to scale, 6 hexes per mile, using online references. I'll continue to make enhancements and post any in time. The documents used to create the map, along with real photos from the battle, are included.
If anyone wants to edit further, or create a "Battle of Verdun" scenario for this map, feel free.

Grab it from the link below:
http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/world ... o&id=11625

Jeff

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”