Sync Bug

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

HansBolter

RE: Sync Bug

Post by HansBolter »

Thanks for being such a good sport Yak.

My "point" was to poke fun at the pervasive use of the misleading term "replay" amongst the PBEM crowd while making the point that in PBEM the Allied player is treated like a second class citizen being forced to watch a "replay" and not getting to see the actual execution of the turn.

The second class status is made worse by virtue of the fact that the Japanese player gets to know the outcome of events before the allied player.

This second class status is made even worse by virtue of the sync bug.

While playing solo I will never have a challenging opponent, I also will never have to accept second class citizen status.

Just a very tongue-in-cheek attempt to toot the horn on the benefits of solo play.

Actually, the most fun I ever had with this game engine was playing Uncommon Valor head to head on a laptop in a coffee shop after work one night a week.
Nothing quite as enjoyable as both players witnessing the outcome of events simultaneously.
Hans

Yakface

Post by Yakface »

Yeah - but somebody has got to be second amongst equals - seeing as the Allies are going to win in the end in the majority of the game - it's only fair that this handicap goes to them.

In the old witp (not ae) there was a big advantage to being the second player. If you had reconned a base and the Japanese player transferred some aircraft to a base during his orders, the allied player got to see that they had been rebased. Made CAP traps very easy as the Allied player.
Miller

Post by Miller »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

ORIGINAL: HansBolter
ORIGINAL: Yakface

I am not sure you are talking about the same bug.

Sync bug affects only PBEM games and characterised by a different replays for the Japanese and Allies players. At the moment the 'recorded game data' is true to the Japanese players replay. It wouldn't be possible to make the recorded game data reflect the replay of both players because they are different.

Yes, which only serves to underscore the inherent problem with PBEM. EI..the Allied player NEVER gets to see the turn execution. That's an honor reserved for the Japanese player.
The Allied player is STUCK with a replay that is all too often NOT an accurate reflection of the turn execution.

Avoid PBEM and you avoid this problem. You never get gipped.

This is inherently wrong. Most of the time the combat replay the Allied player sees is the same one the Japanese player sees. Right now I would say that in my PBEM games about 99% of the turns are just fine. That 1% is frustrating.

Unfortunately that 1% usually happens during an important turn involving carrier battles.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”