B/12/5 Para - GTotH Combat Campaign - Operation Tonga

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

DoubleDeuce

B/12/5 Para - GTotH Combat Campaign - Operation Tonga

Post by DoubleDeuce »

COMMANDER B/12/5 Para (benway9)! As noted in the main game thread your company will be spread out aboard 3x C-47 Dakotas. This means you will be selecting 3 'drop points' on your planning map for each plane and the points must be at least 5 hexes apart (planes cannot fly on top of each other ;-) ). I will allow you to designate which leader/squad will be in each plane. You will also need to designate which squad will carry which support weapon.

Here is the starting load and unit ID# for each of your 3 planes;

C-47 Dakota #1
ID# 3: SQUAD: Airborne
ID# 4: SQUAD: Airborne
ID# 5: SQUAD: Airborne
ID# 6: SQUAD: Airborne

C-47 Dakota #2
ID# 7: SQUAD: Airborne
ID# 8: SQUAD: Airborne
ID# 9: SQUAD: Airborne

C-47 Dakota #3
ID# 10: SQUAD: Airborne
ID# 11: SQUAD: Airborne
ID# 12: SQUAD: Airborne

Among the above units you will be able to assign the following Support Weapons (1 per squad);
2x SW: LIGHT MG
2x SW: MTR 51 Airborne
2x SW: PIAT

I will also need to know which plane each of the following leaders will be in
ID# 0: LEADER: Captain A** (benway9)
ID# 1: LEADER: Lieutenant B*
ID# 2: LEADER: Sergeant C*

NOTE: The 1x CREW w/3in MTR from Battalion, will be in the same plane as the Company Commander (you).
benway9

RE: B/12/5 Para - GTotH Combat Campaign - Operation Tonga

Post by benway9 »

Here is the load plan I have determined for my company B/12/5 Para:

C-47 Dakota #1
ID# 0: LEADER: Captain A** (benway9)
ID# 3: SQUAD: Airborne
ID# 4: SQUAD: Airborne (LMG)
ID# 5: SQUAD: Airborne (PIAT)
ID# 6: SQUAD: Airborne
CREW w/3in MTR

C-47 Dakota #2
ID# 1: LEADER: Lieutenant B*
ID# 7: SQUAD: Airborne
ID# 8: SQUAD: Airborne (LMG)
ID# 9: SQUAD: Airborne (MTR 51 Airborne)

C-47 Dakota #3
ID# 2: LEADER: Sergeant C*
ID# 10: SQUAD: Airborne
ID# 11: SQUAD: Airborne (MTR 51 Airborne)
ID# 12: SQUAD: Airborne (PIAT)

DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

COMMANDER B/12/5 Para (benway9), here is your dropzone map.

WEATHER: There is no wind atm however, it is the early morning of June 6 at 00:50AM. There is a Full Moon but Overcast. Night Visibility Range is 120 meters (3 hexes).

You need to pick 3 points anywhere on the map, 1 for each of the C-47 Dakotas. These points will be the target start point for each Dakota to 'drop' your men and need to be at least 5 hexes apart from each other. You also need to pick the plane flight direction across the map as this will determine the 'line' that each stick will drop along as they exit the plane.

OBJECTIVES: Your objectives are the large 'V''s on the map. There should be 4 of them. (Hopefully the map is large enough for you to see them, if not please let me know).

Once you repost the noted map, I can begin building the actual Scenario for you.

[center]Removed drop map to speed thread load time since its in the next post.[/center]
benway9

Post by benway9 »

Here is the drop map for B/12/5 Para. Please forgive the low quality of the map, but it's the best I can do.

Attachments
Benway 9 drop map.jpg
Benway 9 drop map.jpg (177.27 KiB) Viewed 160 times
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

ORIGINAL: benway9

Here is the drop map for B/12/5 Para. Please forgive the low quality of the map, but it's the best I can do.
No worries, that's all I need to get started building the scenario.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

For reference purposes I will be posting each commander's mission (scenario) text file BUT the actual files will be sent via PM.
DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

TO THE BRITISH COMMANDER: B Coy/12 BN/5 Para RGT

MISSION: Airlanding
DATE: Day, June 6, 1944

BRIEFING: Your unit is to land behind German lines at Drop Zone 'N', East/Northeast of Ranville and seize certain
key positions to disrupt enemy communications and block his lines of supply. Enemy strength is unknown and the
chance of support for you and your men is highly unlikely. You are basically on your own. Good Luck!

CORE FORCE: The following is your core force;
1x LEADER: Lieutenant A**
1x LEADER: Lieutenant B*
1x LEADER: Sergeant C*
12x SQUAD: Airborne
2x SW: LIGHT MG
2x SW: MTR 51 AIRBORNE
2x SW: PIAT

VICTORY POINTS: Victory Points will be awared as follows;
* - Each side gains VP for control of VPO (as indicated on the map).

DIRECTLY ATTACHED: Battalion has attached the following units to your command for this Mission;
1x CREW w/3in MTR (from the BN MTR Company)

REINFORCEMENTS: Shorty after you land stragglers from other units may show up to join your unit so be sure
to check for reinforments each turn!

MISSION END: At the end of Game Turn 9, and at the end of each Game Turn thereafter, TotH will perform a 'dr'. If
the 'dr' is <=2, the Mission ends immediately. If the 'dr' trigger is not met, the game will end at the conclusion of
Game Turn 12.

HOW TO BEGIN:

1. - Launch TotH, locate and select your Mission Scenario file, Select New Game.

2. - Set the following in the Scenario Configuration Dialog screen;
> SIDE A: COMPUTER PLAYER
> SIDE B: HUMAN PLAYER
> DIFFICULTY: HARD
> Fog of War: ENABLED
> Path Quality: HIGH
> Do NOT check “If a SIDE loses all units, a Scenario/CG ends”
> Click OK

3. - BEFORE deploying any units please review in detail each of the following under the Menu tab;
> Scenario Attributes (be sure to check the 'Visibility' setting)
> Scenario Victory
> Scenario Description

4. - Play the Mission to completion (Do NOT replay any turns).
5. - On the End Game screen, save the game file (and update this AAR Form) and attach them to a PM to Double Deuce
on the Matrix Forums. The detail level of the AAR is up to you.

Any questions PLEASE feel free to hit me up on the Matrix forums.
benway9

Post by benway9 »

Well, the initial drops were pretty scattered, but that was to be expected. I was able to grab the SE 2 point VP Hex early, but the squad was then surrounded and pounded by a PzIV all game. Bad for them but at least they kept the behemoth occupied for the game, at the cost of a halfsquad. By the end of turn 4, we had the NE 5 pt and E Building 3 pt VP hexes. Losses were adding up though. And what appeared to be 2 platoons of Germans were approaching the East Building VP hex from the West. That was turn 1-4.
benway9

Post by benway9 »

Turns 5-8: The CO began this attempting to surround the Germans approaching the East Road VP Hex, along with units to the NE and SE of the VP building. Squads 4 & 9 attempted to assault the building in a rush, but were pushed right back out. This left the CO sort of hanging out to dry for a turn or two. However, the 3rd Platoon Sergeant rushed up and led the two squads back into the building. They held several counterattacks through the rest of the game.
benway9

Post by benway9 »

Turns 9-12: Germans made a major push against the NE 5 pt VP hex and knocked out the super-squad (#12) and the Company XO who were holding the VP hex. Almost two full platoons of Germans rushed up the hill and took out the squad, which had been having an awesome game. They had destroyed the equivalent of 6.5 German squads before they were taken out. It was quite a performance but they were overwhelmed before aid could get to them. That is how the game ended, with us having just lost a draw in the last two turns. The major problem now is our losses. I can only hope some of the stragglers from the lost squads can make it back to our lines to bolster the remainder of the company. Otherwise we will be operating at about 50% for the remainder of the campaign. Not a very auspicious start.

Return to “After Action Report”