New player...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

TheElf

New player...

Post by TheElf »

Looking to get back into play by email. What do I need to get started? What patch should I download?

Are there any mods that make this game playable?

Also, I'm looking for a historically minded player who can do a turn or so a day.
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

AW1Steve

RE: New player...

Post by AW1Steve »

Welcome back! What scenario did you have in mind?
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

I'm not a veteran player but I remember you were deep involved in AE, weren't you?

Mods: I know Da Babes and they are great.
Patch: Michaelm tireless support is amazing, here you can find the last beta patch.

I really like the historical games (or sort of) but I'm a rookie, not a challenge for you (oh well...not a challenge for almost anyone [:D])
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

HA! If you are a new player then I have never loaded up the GC! Welcome back Ian!

Alessandro has already pointed you to the right direction.

One great update regardless of the scenario you want to play is the modified aircraft stats by the DB team. John went through the whole database and checked against historical performance figures he had access to. Result is a nicely streamlined set of updated a/c stats. You can check on the initial discussion in that link:
tm.asp?m=3405381&mpage=1&key=

The new stats are integrated into all DB scenarios, but you can also download them separately and use them for any other scen of your liking.
mussey

Post by mussey »

Beware! Caution!

This is an elvish trick! Sure, they sound cute and cuddly with their syreen songs and pointed ears....
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

ORIGINAL: AlessandroD

I'm not a veteran player but I remember you were deep involved in AE, weren't you?

Patch: Michaelm tireless support is amazing, here you can find the last beta patch.

I really like the historical games (or sort of) but I'm a rookie, not a challenge for you (oh well...not a challenge for almost anyone [:D])

Yep,

It's important to read the game credits.

Attachments
TeamLead.jpg
TeamLead.jpg (96.83 KiB) Viewed 132 times
"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

A warm, fuzzy feeling came over me on an otherwise ugly morning [8D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Welcome back. If you have not fooled with it in a while you will be amazed at the upgrades Michael has done. The latest official patch is fine. Most hard core players are playing a variant of DaBabes using the extended map.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Ian,

Welcome back!

John's work is pretty important to incorporate into the stock game, most of the popular mods do.

Babes is a good mod incorporating both JWE's work and adding all the little ships.

BigB has a mod that addresses china in a rather unique fashion, but so far in my play testing, quite effectively. I believe he also incorporates JWE's work as well, but you should confirm with him.

ChemKid has created several interesting map versions, in the AAR's you will see them used in most.

Halsey has created just about every art trim for every unit there is ... you will like them.

Those are the Big 5 from my perspective.

PS: if you do not use the extended map, then you definitely want to upload the map patch for the stock map JWE created off of the babes page. It fixes a couple of errors in the pwhex file (calcutta and somewhere else in Burma, I forget exactly where.).

Pax
drw61

Post by drw61 »

Good to see you back!
Here is a link to some of the mods and art that's available:
tm.asp?m=3088504

Be sure and look at chemkid's maps, Yamato Damashii Cloudy Day Map is my favorite.

Daryl
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

Stop looking at my avatar and things will get better.

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Stop looking at my avatar and things will get better.

TheElf gave me warm fuzzies. Your avatar, on the other hand, gives me a completely different set of reactions

[:D]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Welcome back! What scenario did you have in mind?

Thanks Steve! Long scenario, but I am not sure which side I want to play. The only other thing I might want to do is monkey with service ratings, but if there is a modded scenario out there that has done that it would be far less work.

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

I played a minor role, but I haven't played the game in so long I think I qualify as a Rookie too... [;)] We might be an even match!

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

HA! If you are a new player then I have never loaded up the GC! Welcome back Ian!

One great update regardless of the scenario you want to play is the modified aircraft stats by the DB team. John went through the whole database and checked against historical performance figures he had access to. Result is a nicely streamlined set of updated a/c stats. You can check on the initial discussion in that link:

The new stats are integrated into all DB scenarios, but you can also download them separately and use them for any other scen of your liking.

I read John's thread regarding the Aircraft stats. There are few people I would trust to take them to the next level. John is one of those people.

Did he also adjust the service ratings? A +1 across the board would be interesting...

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: mussey

Beware! Caution!

This is an elvish trick! Sure, they sound cute and cuddly with their syreen songs and pointed ears....

LOL! Indeed. I suppose it was a bit disingenuous. [:D]

TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

Yep,

It's important to read the game credits.

Nice catch! And here I thought I was being subtle...

Glad to hear it!
ORIGINAL: crsutton

Welcome back. If you have not fooled with it in a while you will be amazed at the upgrades Michael has done. The latest official patch is fine. Most hard core players are playing a variant of DaBabes using the extended map.

Thanks crsutton, its good to see some familiar names. I will definitely do that. Michael is my personal hero. DaBabes is something I wanted to check out.

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Ian,

Welcome back!

John's work is pretty important to incorporate into the stock game, most of the popular mods do.

Babes is a good mod incorporating both JWE's work and adding all the little ships.

BigB has a mod that addresses china in a rather unique fashion, but so far in my play testing, quite effectively. I believe he also incorporates JWE's work as well, but you should confirm with him.

ChemKid has created several interesting map versions, in the AAR's you will see them used in most.

Halsey has created just about every art trim for every unit there is ... you will like them.

Those are the Big 5 from my perspective.

PS: if you do not use the extended map, then you definitely want to upload the map patch for the stock map JWE created off of the babes page. It fixes a couple of errors in the pwhex file (calcutta and somewhere else in Burma, I forget exactly where.).

Pax! Great to see you still here. Aren't you running things around here these days!? lol [:D]

ORIGINAL: drw61

Good to see you back!
Here is a link to some of the mods and art that's available:
tm.asp?m=3088504

Be sure and look at chemkid's maps, Yamato Damashii Cloudy Day Map is my favorite.

Daryl

Thanks drw! I have Chemkid's excellent maps, I got them a couple years ago when I toyed with WitP previously.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

I read John's thread regarding the Aircraft stats. There are few people I would trust to take them to the next level. John is one of those people.

Did he also adjust the service ratings? A +1 across the board would be interesting...

I think some mods have made tweaks to the service ratings, but nobody has made any wholesale changes in that area. Most people complain about the service ratings being too high.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: TheElf

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

A couple of people, including myself, suggested the same or something similar. If memory does not fail me John decided against tinkering with SR.

I can only speculate why, but if you want my personal opinion - here it is:

- Balance in general: DB Team attempted (successfully I might add) to better reflect the lack of proper Japanese aircraft service technicians and engineers by reducing the air support available as well as the eng squads for building up bases. A SR increase across the board would be in part mitigated by the abundant air support and engeneers the Allies can rely on while at the same time increasing the Japanese weakness in that area. One could argue this is desired, still the overall balance needs to be considered.

- Carrier ops: One of the most impacted areas of a SR increase across the board would be A/C availability for carrier ops. Extended CAP/LRCAP/NavS and ASW ops would affect the capability of CV TFs to cope with carrier vs. carrier battle scenarios more than it currently does (atm this is mainly impacted through pilot fatigue). The balance between a fresh CV TF and one that is already operating for some time is affected. Again, this could be a desired effect but might increase the complexity of missions where extended plane availability is crucial to operational success.

Personally I would vote for trying it out regardless (it is easy to accomplish via the editor anyway), just pointing out that this change might have more effects than just reducing the mission availability of planes across the board, and the results might not be everyones cake.
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Good to see you back Ian. I hope all is going well![:)]
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”