Strategic Command WW1+ Breakthrough or Commander: The great war?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

towerbooks3192

Strategic Command WW1+ Breakthrough or Commander: The great war?

Post by towerbooks3192 »

There was an article where both Commander: Europe at War and Strategic Command 2 was compared. I need help ASAP on which one to choose. SC WW1+ Expansion cost $55 while Commander: The Great War cost $40

SC's upper hand is the free WW2 scenario while C:TGW is better presentation-wise and graphically but not sure gameplay-wise.

Please help me decide
et ignobiles oblivio
vonRocko

RE: Strategic Command WW1+ Breakthrough or Commander: The great war?

Post by vonRocko »

I like Commander, But SCww1 is far superior in both depth and realism. Commander feels like a wargame in a ww1 setting, while SC feels more like a game about ww1. Plus all the extra scenerios. Both are fun, I lean toward SC, much more "bang" for the dollar.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Reading AAR's etc I have to agree with VRocko. I I was to buy one or the other it would be SC game as it would suit my preference of trying to be historical where as Commander is a fun wargame with a WW1 look etc.

WW1Gold is what you need to be looking at for indepth WW1..however it isn't for the faint hearted.

many here will say Commander though;)..it looks like a great fun game and I'd say if someone wanted a fun game with a WW1 setting I'd say buy it. If your after something abit deeper I'd say SCWW1 and if you want hardcore I'd say WW1Gold.
Rtwfreak

Post by Rtwfreak »

Yeah Scww1 gets my vote too.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

SCWW1 + Breakthrough (if only for the Russian Civil War campaign) gets my vote as well.

Though I do still intend picking up CWW1 at some point in the future.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Where's a good place to buy Strategic Command?
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Where's a good place to buy Strategic Command?

I think its better to buy from battlefront since other versions aren't compatible with the battlefront expansions.

Ok, I think I will give CTGW some time to mature. I know SC really lacks some eye candy compared to CTGW but gameplay-wise and the compatibility of the WW2 scenarios. The other thing is that after getting into hexes, squares are starting to get unbearable (I think I have gotten over the squares of FF tactics and advance wars or the old Civs). Ok, I will buy CTGW some point in time and maybe get it once they release something like the GC mod of CEAW.

My only other complaint about SC is that you control all the axis and allies and not just a major power. I mean I would want to try conquering the world using Germany only or be an Axis US or something.

As for WW1 gold, I had my eyes on it but I think the AGEOD engine feels a bit restrictive for me after I saw Alea Jacta Est.
et ignobiles oblivio
wodin

Post by wodin »

Towerbooks..WW1Gold doesn't use the AGEOD engine..it's a independent developers game.
towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Towerbooks..WW1Gold doesn't use the AGEOD engine..it's a independent developers game.

Really? I thought it was AGEOD. It looks like AGEOD but I guess I will have to take a look again. I know I could buy the base game and the upgrade for $30 off gamersgate. Hmmmm, I see some videos but its a bit vague. How is the gameplay on that one? Is it like Victoria 2 but focuses more on the conflict or something?
et ignobiles oblivio
wodin

Post by wodin »

No nothing at all like Paradox games or Ageod games..It's turn based or WEGO for starters. I've sent you a PM.
IckieStickie

Post by IckieStickie »

Commander if your a real PanzerCorp follower as both are made by Lords Game Studio,Thats all i can say as the other game im just about purchase for myself after reading some of the quotes above:) So you reckon buy from BF yeah?..Off there now guys thanks for your posts.Think more panzercorp rather than Paradox and you wont be far wrong.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

I like Commander, But SCww1 is far superior in both depth and realism. Commander feels like a wargame in a ww1 setting, while SC feels more like a game about ww1. Plus all the extra scenerios. Both are fun, I lean toward SC, much more "bang" for the dollar.

Have to go with SC as you do get that WWII scenario for free. It is more for your money and lets face it with today's ais there's not that much of a difference. At least from the reviews and AARs SC sounds much better for my money.
operating

Post by operating »

A year or so ago I would have stood up to praise CTGW, however the devs dropped the ball by not producing a patch to fix a number of critical problems with the game. If the devs at LORDZ don't care about their product: Why should I or anybody-else buy the game? Shame on LORDZ!!!!
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

operating

Post by operating »

ORIGINAL: chemkid
ORIGINAL: operating

A year or so ago I would have stood up to praise CTGW, however the devs dropped the ball by not producing a patch to fix a number of critical problems with the game. If the devs at LORDZ don't care about their product: Why should I or anybody-else buy the game? Shame on LORDZ!!!!
this! saw some folks from CTGW forum on the SCWW1 forum... time to jump ship? [&:]

...and thank you and kirk for your work and ideas to fix CTGW! [&o]
I'm sure that Kirk would appreciate that at least someone did understand what he was trying to do, many did, including myself...[;)]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest

Return to “General Discussion”