Unit Specials and Sensors

Visit here to get your questions about scenario making answered.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Stimpak

Unit Specials and Sensors

Post by Stimpak »

I've spent a long time looking through the data files by now, but what puzzles me still is exactly what the unit specials and sensors do. While I do know what these tags imply, (ie. IR-L refers to long range IR sights, AM refers to amphibious capability, etc.) I wonder what modifiers are implied by these tags. Does an LRF imply a, per se, 20% boost to a weapon's accuracy? Or do they have a different effect?
CapnDarwin

RE: Unit Specials and Sensors

Post by CapnDarwin »

Sadly there is no this is X percent for a given system. These items have functions in the game to see better, shoot better, defend better etc., but the values are dependent on other factors in the data files based on nation. A US LRF will have a different effect from a West German and Soviet system based on those national modifiers. Some of the systems will also be dependent on unit training and readiness as the game goes. One area we want to do better with in Southern Storm is to provide more verbose information on these items and others. Part of the challenge is figuring out the best way to show that to the players in the UI and when to show it. Some folks really love all the numbers and others just want results.

Any thoughts on what you want to see or how to show it (for instance we are going to revamp the Sub-Unit Inspector to show real world numbers for pen and armor value in mm's and have some explanation for theses systems and their basic effects).
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Scenario School”