Game Suggestions:

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

epcltd

RE: Game Suggestions:

Post by epcltd »

Wasn't the weather far mnore influential than road repairs etc. Yes the weather certainly impacted on logistics
Icier

Post by Icier »

When playing a server game & completing a move, have a copy of game completed move sent to the players computer.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
SeriousCatNZ

Post by SeriousCatNZ »

What are the exact penalties for attacking across a river?

(I can only find the penalties for retreating across a river in the manual.) It seems like rivers are too easy to take by mega stacks. Shouldn't combat value be halved?

What determines defeat and retreat in combat?

Classic military theory posits that you need a force ratio of 3:1 to win a battle, which rises to 5:1 against an entrenched enemy. Yet I can defeat and push Soviet forces back with a mere 2:1 advantage.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Shouldn't combat value be halved?

It is.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Yet I can defeat and push Soviet forces back with a mere 2:1 advantage.

The odds are modified CV, not pure troop or AFV ratio's.
SeriousCatNZ

Post by SeriousCatNZ »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

The odds are modified CV, not pure troop or AFV ratio's.

But how is that modified CV calculated? I know that having adequate supply, assigning support assets, and appointing competent commanders increases the CV, whereas weather and terrain may decrease CV. However, I never know by how much. If I want to calculate the odds for an important attack I can't. I can only go with my gut feeling. It's usually right, but still I'd like to know why. If I turn the Message Level all the way to 5, will it reveal how the CV is calculated?
morvael

Post by morvael »

No, it will not. And it's working as designed (WAD). Joel once wrote that Gary likes to hide some of the numbers in his designs, so that you have to play using gut feeling and experience instead of just min-maxing using all numbers laid bare. However, if you want more accurate CV values on the counters you should play "Alt CV" scenario. In several places they use correct math to determine "expected values" out of base value and % chances to pass leader skill/morale/experience rolls. Be warned though those numbers still do not include some modifiers that are applied before and during combat, like rivers, dense terrain etc. so they will still be off. And most people learned to play by gut feeling and thus prefer to play with normal CV numbers, to which they are accustomed.

By the way, river works by disrupting elements before combat starts, and disrupted elements do not contribute to CV nor fire in combat. So you start battle with part of your force not engaging nor included in CV.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

If anything, there's too much possible foreknowledge. Estimated CVs w/o "fractional expression" should be all that's needed, unless repeated attacks are employed. In that case, maybe CVs could be sharpened, etc.

Like the game as is, and appreciate all improvements made, but here's some suggestions for improvements, now or 2.0, etc.:

Compare two saved outcomes, same turn #s, giving overall evaluations and some detailed points. By organizational terms (AG, Army, Corps) for total strengths, VPs, AFVs, troopers, some measure of areas controlled, what-have-you etc.

Show range of air craft for selected air bases in map graphics.

Simplify working of the editor (or, provide simple training manual.)
morvael

Post by morvael »

Have you played WitW?
There are charts tracking various stats in game and there is completely new air system that displays planned air ops on the map. These will be in WitE2 as well.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

Yes, and that's good news. Thank you, the reminder.
bobman0330

Post by bobman0330 »

It's possible this is in the game already and I just can't figure it out, but if it's not, there should be a hotkey to switch between the display mode that shows CV and MPs on the counters and the mode that shows offensive/defensive CVs!
morvael

Post by morvael »

Press z
bobman0330

Post by bobman0330 »

I'm gonna go ahead and assume you pushed out a hotfix to address that issue in 8 minutes, OK? [8|]
Icier

Post by Icier »

both sides had leaders who thought they were great military commanders & issues orders of "No Retreat" at the most inopportune times! Whereas,
us savvy game players retreat as soon as the line is punctured.
Nothing @ all like the real thing...so how could we capture this meddling?
How about a moral penalty for a unit that keeps constantly retreating...say if a unit has retreated twice in a row, it loses 1 point & 1 point for every further retreat.However if the unit stops & fight the moral penalty stops & is only re-activated if it repeats step 1.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Champagne

Post by Champagne »

I have a suggestion that I believe would help all players.

PLEASE provide the option to discontinue usage of Roman Numerals in the game. Instead of a unit being the XXXIV Corps, just say 34 Corps or 34th Corps.

Roman Numerals become quite difficult to read after an hour or so of play.
Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

We won't change historically used names but you are free to do this for yourself in the Editor.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Just a world to say it is amazing to be able to choose army colors. It is really, really helpfull.
I love this feature very much.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Chisai

Post by Chisai »

Inactive National Units:

Can you make the color of inactive units: Hungarian, Italian, Rumanian WHITE or?

Then when the unit becomes active, change to their national color so we can tell at a glance that we can use them. No need for the current color scheme when they are sitting in their home country, most of us already know where Hungary is.

Great game, more please.
Robert Trajano
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Just a suggestion relative to support units :
I think in the current WITE there is some easy rebalance that can be done in supports units TOE relative to their price.

Some example :
- Early 1941 Mobile tank hunter compagny that allow.... 4 Zis for a cost of 1 AP. (Could be increase to have the same number of units as german stug unit i think).
- Early Mortar bataillon that allow 36 120mm mortar. But january 1942 mortar regiment have only 16 82mm and 16 120 mm for twice the AP price ? [&:]

There is a lot of strange thing like this.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Hi.
I have an interface suggestion which would be really, really great to manage multiple air raids.

When you select an airfield, then click on a target, the air raid is processed. But then, the selected airfield is unselected.

I think it would be a good idea if the selected airfield was not unselected at the end of the air. It would be a great help to spam air raid for example.
Currently i have to select the airfield for EACH raid, it is tedious.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”