Best Two Out of Three

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John B.

RE: Best Two Out of Three

Post by John B. »

An Oral History The Great Asia Pacific War Vol. II Burma Battles (Harper Publishing & Co. 1965)

In late January 1944 we had reached a dead end in Thailand. We held the north of the country but to push on into Indochina the transportation network pretty much demanded that we take Bangkok. But we knew the Japs had been fortifying it for at least two years and we had no real desire to do a major cross river assault into a major city crammed with mines, traps, pill boxes what have you. So, we figured why not trap the IJA units there, use our new airfields to wear down Japanese air power (like we did at Rabaul) and do and end run towards Sumatra. That's when planning started for an invasion of the islands near Sebang.

MGen Fitzsimmons, special Liaison to SEAC (Post-War Memoirs "With the Empire in South East Asia" Penguin Books 1960)

Attachments
Bangkok.jpg
Bangkok.jpg (386.45 KiB) Viewed 401 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

An Oral History The Great Asia Pacific War Vol. I: Chinese Quagmire (Harper Publishing & Co. 1965)

China had been quite for about two months as Japan seemed to be hoarding supply and turning it's attention to other fronts. But, we knew that we had to retake as much of our country as we could since Japan would not give it back and the Western allies were unlikely to expend a lot of effort to help us free it. So, we settled on a plan to attempt to retake Sian. We started the laborious process of transferring troops up there along winding trails and near the Japanese. We stayed behind the lines to prevent Japan from knowing what we were doing for as long as possible. And, we knew that our airforce was in India training and reequipping. If the Allies actually provided some level of airsuport we thought we might have a chance.

LGen Tieh Chan commander 14th Chinese Corps. (Post War Memoirs)

Attachments
Sian.jpg
Sian.jpg (521.06 KiB) Viewed 401 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

An Oral History The Great Asia Pacific War Vol. I: Chinese Quagmire (Harper Publishing & Co. 1965).

What I remember most about the opening day of Operation Sian was the planes. Once Chaing Kai Sheck had been overthrown in January 1944 and replaced by General Sho-Nien we were promised all levels of support. Frankly, we had heard that all before and always run into a buzz saw of Japanese aircraft. At 5 a.m. the morning of our initial attack a large droning filled the sky and we were crestfallen. The Japanese airforce was back and they knew about our offensive. How many of our men would die due to the broken promises of the new regime. Bitter tears welled up in my eyes.

And then I heard the shouts "the stars, look at the stars!" And I saw them! American bombers with beautiful stars on their fuselage, wave after wave came in. Some low and some high up (I later learned that the big ones were B-24s). Bombs crashing down as our men whooped with joy. And then we saw Chinese planes as the pilots circled, bombed and strafe without mercy.

We were up out of our trenches and on the Japanese in a tidal wave. We crashed through their lines and sent them streaming south. I personally killed three of the bastards with my pistol and shouted to keep going and not let up. As we followed towards Sian we saw more and more Japanese corpses blasted apart and guns twisted into weird shapes by the allied airforce along the road. Finally we tasted sweet vengeance for all that we had endured. Would it be enough to get us to Sian with the Japanese airforce recovering (I learned that the same day allied airpower also struck the airfield at Sian to deny it to the enemy) we did not know. But, on that glorious day we did not care.

Major Biao (commander 3rd New Chinese Corps letter to author)

Attachments
SianorBust.jpg
SianorBust.jpg (538.96 KiB) Viewed 401 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

An Oral History The Great Asia Pacific War Vol. III Central Pacific Ablaze (Harper Publishing & Co. 1965)

Dear Sarah,

I hope you are doing well. I miss you and can't wait to see you. Maybe next time I get leave I can get a pass to San Franciso and you could meet me there? When I see you, remind me to tell you about our scare last night. We have two carrier TFs and dashed all the way up to Okinowa and then headed down the Philippines sea back towards Saipan. We got all the way to Okinawa and caught several large AKs in an air raid. I don't think Tojo knew we were even there. Then, on the way back about 9:00 a.m this morning we saw several IJA ships. we had a collective heart attack until we realized it was another merchant convoy that hightailed it away from us. We caught them and I got to watch one of my own 1,000 lb bombs put an AP under. The brass says its nice to sink these ships, but the real aim is to keep Japan out of this part of the ocean so they have to use the South China sea for their convoys. That will let us concentrate our submarines. Hey, as long as I'm doing the sinking and not being sunk I'll let the brass do what they want. Kisses.

Wade

Letter home LT W.C. Short (commander VB-5 USN Yorktown)

Attachments
CarrierRaid.jpg
CarrierRaid.jpg (178.46 KiB) Viewed 401 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

An Oral History The Great Asia Pacific War Vol. I: Chinese Quagmire (Harper Publishing & Co. 1965)

It's almost an inexorable law of war that great success leads to overstretch. The Chinese caught us flatfooted with their Sian offensive and crashed through two divisions on their way to recapturing the city. But then, what do you do. Do you rest on your laurels or try for more? They tried for more. They pushed us back to Nanyang and launched two assaults on the city. We bent but held and then it was the turn of our airforce. At least two hundred bombers per day rained death down on the Chinese as they scurried back up the main road into the hills. They were out of range of their airfields and Sian was a smoking wreck when we left so our bombers could fly with impunity. We got reinforcements, but not enough for a counter attack. It looked like China was settling back into a stalemate. Still, it was painful to lose the Sian's oil fields.

Maj. General Hokashi. Post war interview with allied intelligence.

Attachments
Nanyang.jpg
Nanyang.jpg (533.93 KiB) Viewed 401 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

An Oral History The Great Asia Pacific War Vol. III Central Pacific Ablaze (Harper Publishing & Co. 1965)

Our raid on Babo encapsulated our basic strategy at the time. We were consolidating our grip on the Marianas and building ports and airfields as fast as we could while supplies and fuel flooded in. OUr next targets would be Babeldoab and then we planned on hitting Luzon and Iwo Jima. We kept getting hints in the intel about "special weapons" if we got closer so we figured we might as well put a cork in Babeldaob which would complete the surrounding of Truk and Rabual to let those troops wither on the vine before we found out what this special weapon was. Most of the captains in our task force were betting that it was poison gas of some kind.

In any event, while we were preparing for the coming invasions it made little sense to have the carriers sit at home so we went raiding. The raid on babo netted an AO, TK, DD and E. Not a lot but nibbling away at their shipping resources and denying them oil where ever it was would help out the sub boys. Our next stop was Hollandia and then we'd hit Babeldaob and head back to the barn.

Capt. "Pop" Grosskopf (USN Ret) 1963 Letter to author.

Attachments
Babo.jpg
Babo.jpg (246.71 KiB) Viewed 401 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

An Oral History The Great Asia Pacific War Vol. II Burma Battles (Harper Publishing & Co. 1965)

Bangkok was one tough nut. We could not bomb it as we were sure that the Japs had put every AA gun in Asia in that city and they had about 150,000 troops well dug in in the city. Unlike Moulmein we could not get in without doing a river assault somewhere. So, our armies sat and stared at them. However, we did take the opportunity to keep the pressure on with air attacks. They had a number of squadrons there so we tried daily attacks on the Japs to whittle down their numbers. Our average kill ratio was about 1.5 to one. Not ideal, but we could not let them sit unmolested and build up their strength. It was tough on our boys but I'm sure it was even tougher on them.

In the meantime, with their fighters concentrated at Bangkok we looked for ways around. By this time the British invasion off the coast of Sumatra was just about three days away and we were starting to filter divisions away from Bangkok and around it. We might be trapped there, but so was he.

MGen Fitzsimmons, special Liaison to SEAC (Post-War Memoirs "With the Empire in South East Asia" Penguin Books 1960)

Attachments
Bangkokagain.jpg
Bangkokagain.jpg (421.25 KiB) Viewed 401 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Two days ago we finally saw a resupply fleet arrive. They brought rice, bullets, and even tanks as we've been afraid that each day the an invasion fleet would come from the south. Each man pitched in to unload these ships as fast as possible until last night, about 2 a.m. we all heard a boom. Flashes and explosions ripped through the night. I stood on the beach and saw a number of our transports burning and I could see one of our destroyers weaving in and out and seemed to be getting as good as it got. In the morning, none of our ships were left as some sailors swam ashore covered in oil. We did not see any Allied sailors so I'm not sure if they lost any ships or not.

Dairy of Cpl. Hashima Yanuko (supplied to author by his family).

Attachments
IwoSurface.jpg
IwoSurface.jpg (259.17 KiB) Viewed 401 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Say what you will about the war crimes of the Japanese army, you had to respect how tough it was to dig them out. We had surround the 27th division for almost a month and they had endured countless days of endless air barrage. Yet, we still had to go in and dig them out inch by inch. We'd had nearly a week of assaults against them and the few that surrendered were scarecrows with a 1,000 yard stare and not men anymore. With our Sian offensive over, the high command kept pressing us to finish the job so we could move on to the next task, but the IJA wasn't working on our timetable.

Lt. Gen. Shao-Chou Wu 27th Corps (Post war interview in the Hong Kong Daily).

Attachments
China.jpg
China.jpg (529.49 KiB) Viewed 401 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

I received a great deal of criticism for my decision to pull the fleet out of Sinabang before all of the supplies could be unloaded. But, remember, I had the only three British Carriers in the theater under my command. We got, as we expected, two days of landings that were unmolested and on the third day we were subject to powerful fighter sweeps that took away 50% of our CAP. I suspected that the next day would bring fighters and torpedo planes and we could not afford to lose these three ships plus those in the landing TF. I figured that we'd landed about 50% of the supplies and almost all of the equipment. If they got an airfield laid down in time, they'd be ok. Still, I felt like we were letting those men in the East African Brigade down a bit.

Cpt. Baldwin RN (Ret.) commander TF 207 (Letter to author)

Attachments
Sinabang.jpg
Sinabang.jpg (259.77 KiB) Viewed 401 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

An Oral History The Great Asia Pacific War Vol. IV: So Pac Chessboard (Harper Publishing & Co. 1965)

You've probably read that the allies shut down the Southern Pacific theater after they captured Rabaul. That's not true. We in Australia had the minor matter of liberating the northern part of our country. We'd tried twice before but this time air recon showed us that the Japs had pulled a large part of their forces out. We had aircover at last and dashed for Daily Waters. We pushed through an engineer unit south of Daily Waters and right into the air field. On the first day of the attack we waded through obstacles, trenches, and traps that would have been tough going had there been a proper garrison. I'd rate the fortification level as being a 6 on a 0-9 scale. Lucky for us there was only a couple of IJA air force support units there. If we could get the airfield, we'd be able to take it to Katherine and then on to Darwin.

LTC Addingtion 1st Army Tank Rgt. ("Freeing the North" published in Army Today 1947).

Attachments
DailyWaters.jpg
DailyWaters.jpg (359.15 KiB) Viewed 403 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

The Japs had basically left desultory forces behind in garrisoning N. Australia. We cleared out Daily Waters with out much trouble and chased those support units back to Katherine. The Yanks put a squadron of Corsairs into Daily Waters that kept the skies above us clear. Katherine did not look to have many defenders but air recon was showing more than a division in Darwin we figured things would toughen up quickly.

LTC Addingtion 1st Army Tank Rgt. ("Freeing the North" published in Army Today 1947).

Attachments
Katherine.jpg
Katherine.jpg (345.5 KiB) Viewed 403 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

An Oral History The Great Asia Pacific War Vol. I: Chinese Quagmire (Harper Publishing & Co. 1965).

Our advance from Ansi had trapped a Japanese division against the Mongolian division and we were beating it down while the Japanese tried to break through from the south. One of our corps surrendered after holding out for more than a week against several armor units. Fighting in the Gobi at the end of a very long supply chain was tough. Our supplies depended on a series of dumps created by porters and they dropped like flies in the unrelenting heat and sun. Only a trickle got through, but we were pushing as far and as hard as we could to keep the pressure on Japan where ever we could.

Lt. Gen Tieh-Chen, Le Commander 76th Corps (Post War Memoirs "The Other Desert War")

Attachments
Gobi.jpg
Gobi.jpg (484.06 KiB) Viewed 403 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

The star shells burst overhead around 0130 but we were already at our posts. Our recon had picked up a large TF headed our way and we had been training for this day for a long long time. Finally it was our turn to hit back at the Americans. Three BBs started shelling two minutes later but we had one (author's note the USS West Virginia) in our sites. Our first salvo straddled her and then we scored hit after hit. She gamely hung in there but finally turned away battered with flames flickering out of various openings we had created in her armor. As the American's retreated, we knew we had done our job very well.

Yukosoni Nagoya ensign Babeldaob Naval Fortress (Post War Interview on Radio Tokyo).

Strong resistance at Babledaob to naval bombardment. Stop. 63 hits on USS W.Va. Stop. Fear results on light skinned transports. Recommend cancellation of operation to seize Babledaob and move on to landings in Philippines. Stop.

Cable from Admiral Nimitz to Admiral King (March 22, 1943).

Approved.

Cable from Admiral King to Admiral Nimitz (March 23, 1943).

Attachments
WestVa.jpg
WestVa.jpg (215.64 KiB) Viewed 403 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Of course the cables to and from Admiral King were written in 1944, not 1943. :-)
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

We had been planning a drop on Udon Thani for quite some time so when the C-47s started arriving at Tavoy in Late March 1944 we suspected it was on and it was. The initial drop went in right after the Thais on the ground got a pasting from the bomber boys and they scattered to the four winds. Subsequent airlifts brought in more of our lads but we knew a Jap Tank Division was closing in. It was one of three divisions we were trapping by being there but it would be tough fight. They had received a pounding as they moved our way but an orders mix up spared them two days of a real shellacking as the B-24s and B-25s stayed on the ground. But the Jap tanks moved up to our lines and this was it. Do or die!

Brig. Gen. Lantiagne commander 111th Chindit Brigade ("With the Chindits to Victory" pub. 1957 Harpers House).

Attachments
Chindits.jpg
Chindits.jpg (428.91 KiB) Viewed 403 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

Carriers headed to barn. Two CVs each took one fish but still capable of flight ops. Reports of 250+ Jap planes accounted for over Okinawa, Taiwan and Minila plus numerous AKLs, and at least 7 DDs. Losses of about 30 of our planes. Jap Pilot quality not good, but still full of fighting spirit. No sign of "special weapon."

Radiogram from Capt. Calhoun temporary commander TF 234.

Attachments
Carriers.jpg
Carriers.jpg (268.99 KiB) Viewed 403 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

We decided to try to take advantage of the Chinese overstretch and push them back out of Sian (and perhaps recapture the oil fields in Urumqai. So, our build up continued. The Chinese were aware of what were were doing as fresh formations joined the front and they launched a series of assaults to try to push us back. But, it was never enough and our strength was growing.

Maj. General Hokashi. Post war interview with allied intelligence.

Attachments
China.jpg
China.jpg (517.4 KiB) Viewed 403 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

It has been appropriately alleged that Captain Orson left his post to spend the night at the Officer's Club and left his orderly to review the target orders for the following day. The orderly, who has not been charged, failed to correct the target information that erroneously indicated Bangkok as the target and not Udon Thani. As a consequence of Captain Orson's dereliction of duty, the United Nations forces lost in excess of 80 medium bombers and well over 200 lives. This Court Martial declines to find Captain Orson guilty of desertion in the face of the enemy. However, Captain Orson is found guilty of dereliction of duty, reduced in rank to private, and sentenced to five years hard labor at Leavenworth after which time he shall be dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States.

Findings of USAAF Court Martial 44-08-1381.

[Editor's note: Captain Orson lost his appeal, served out his sentence in Leavenworth, and spent the remaining five years of his life attempting, unsuccessfully, to clear his name]

Attachments
KillBox.jpg
KillBox.jpg (428.49 KiB) Viewed 403 times
John Barr
John B.

Post by John B. »

An Oral History The Great Asia Pacific War Vol. V: Duds and Depth Charges (Harper Publishing & Co. 1965)

We called ourselves the pirates of Amsterdam since, with Holland under the German heel and Java taken by the Japanese, we were men without a county. But, we still had out subs and the US Navy took us in to their major sub base at Saipan. One night in early April 1944 my own boat, the 0-23, added it's 8th ship to our tally when we put a fish into a Jap SC. Her companion breached our pressure hull in the ensuing depth charge attack but we were able to head back to Pearl, get patched up, and rejoin the fight!

Float Captain Van Renseallar ("War Through a Periscope" Bantam Books, at p. 144 Pub. 1957).

Attachments
DutchSub.jpg
DutchSub.jpg (347.87 KiB) Viewed 403 times
John Barr

Return to “After Action Reports”