Sync Bug

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Anachro

Sync Bug

Post by Anachro »

I'm trying to reach out and see if I can get any info or threads pointed my way regarding PBEM sync bugs. I think I might have run into such a problem in my Allied PBEM.

Currently noticing big discrepancies between what is happening in the replay and what I am seeing on screen when I load save. My opponents combat report shows completely different results than my own. I can only think that a few days back he switched to a mac because he was having PC issues and we started getting PWHEX data differs messages. I believe he was using same game copy/version on both computers.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
witpqs

RE: Sync Bug

Post by witpqs »

Remember that the replay is produced from the turn file each time (and is not influenced by previous replays). So, a sync bug is a one-turn event. Sure, you *can* get them one turn after another, but they are each independent and a sync bug one turn will NOT cause a sync bug the next turn. They could all have the same cause, but at least you do not need to worry about the one same occurrence of a sync bug continuing turn after turn. You might get sync bugs turn after turn that all have the same cause.

If he had "PWHEX data differs" messages, then at least that much was different between his two installations. Even if the program data was the same, maybe he forgot to load all the same scenario stuff? For example, if you are using a mod then you have to make sure to load all the same mod files on that second computer. Or (if you are using a stock scenario) maybe he tried some mod on that computer and did not put things back the way they were afterward. But no matter the exact sequence of events, the "PWHEX data differs" messages are telling you that at least that at least one of the three pwhex files is different. If PWHEX data is different, you should not continue with the turn. You should find why and what files are different, and fix them. It's also a warning to make sure all the needed files match that mod (or stock if not a mod).

From the way you wrote that I am assuming that your opponent's computer change is the most likely culprit, but maybe not. It pays to just check both of your current computers against the mod/scenario you are using and make sure you have the right files installed.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

FOW is always part of it. What is reported on one side is usually at least somewhat different from what is reported to the other. Also, what is reported to one side also varies from other reports to the same side on the same events. There are several places to go to get reports that don't agree with each other. Tracker will dig up others you probably wouldn't find on your own. Then there's always Orphan Anne "... A battleship, two carriers and numerous cruisers and destroyers." I don't believe there is any relevance as to what computers or operating systems are being used by each side.

Anachro

Post by Anachro »

@Witpqs

Thanks for the input, I am going to try and send him my copy of the game to use on his mac and see if that fixes the problem. My version hasn't changed since we started and we previously weren't getting the PWHEX Data differs message. I can only assume it is because he switched to his mac.

@geoflambert

I don't think this is FOW. I am well aware that what is reported is different for each side. In this case, however, there were completely different combat events. That is, in mine I torpedoed CA Kako in an independent event, but this didn't happen according to my opponent. In his replay, my battleship was torpedoed in a separate independent sub event, but this didn't happen in my replay. Are you saying this is normal? Just trying to confirm.

My replay:

Japanese Ships
CA Kako, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Allied Ships
SS Pickerel

CA Kako is sighted by SS Pickerel
SS Pickerel launches 4 torpedoes at CA Kako

According to my opponent, this never happened.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

We've had the Synch bug since day one in our current PBEM. Best guess for cause is the Jpn player exiting each combat report early, but that's not 100% either. We've had plenty of turns without issue, and then all of the sudden the synch bug is all over the place. Frustrating.

The work around we've come up with helps. My opponent sends me the turn file as well as both combat report files. After I've gone through the replay, I replace the combat report files with the ones he's sent. This at least allows Tracker and Combat Reporter to pull up the accurate combat report.

Still frustrating to see something that didn't happen - but then again, I've seen the replay have far worse results than actual as well [:'(]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I don't want to appear any dumber than I already do, and I'm not sure I could even with great effort, but I'll do my best. I'm unfamiliar with this "synch bug". Are we talking about one side or the other simply being misled about what actually happened or are we talking about the two players in a PBEM actually playing a different game, each that is parallel to the other's? Also, why is it called a "synch bug"? Is that like the cockroach I catch running around in my kitchen synch? I hate those little bastards. Right now I'm having a synching feeling about whether I'll get any respect here. [:(] witpqs can probably explain this in a way a cold-blooded lizard can grok.

IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I don't want to appear any dumber than I already do, and I'm not sure I could even with great effort, but I'll do my best. I'm unfamiliar with this "synch bug". Are we talking about one side or the other simply being misled about what actually happened or are we talking about the two players in a PBEM actually playing a different game, each that is parallel to the other's? Also, why is it called a "synch bug"? Is that like the cockroach I catch running around in my kitchen synch? I hate those little bastards. Right now I'm having a synching feeling about whether I'll get any respect here. [:(] witpqs can probably explain this in a way a cold-blooded lizard can grok.

No its not FoW. Its a different result that the allied player sees when he does his replay. For instance, in a recent turn, I was surprised to see the loss of number of Judys due to AA when I opened the aircraft losses, as I saw no airstrikes by Judys during the replay. When I looked at airstrikes in combat reporter, the KB launched a pretty large airstrike on one of my bases - THAT I NEVER SAW during the replay.

So the synch bug can be VERY frustrating for the Allied player. What he sees in the replay, may or may not, be what transpired.

I've seen ships sunk in the replay, and was pleasantly surprised to see them fully functioning as the engagement never happened. I've seen Manila fall to be pleasantly surprised to see the Allies still hold the base, etc....

Bottom line is what the Jpn player sees in his replay is ground truth - but may have some FOW. Not so for the Allies in a PBEM with the synch bug.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

The problem is that Gorn always eat the bugs without hardly looking at them. [:D]
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Oh my god, what if that movie with Dana Wynter (who I think should have got a lot more work) and Kenneth More had been "Synch the Bismarck!"? How would history have been changed?

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Speaking of Kenneth More, and the movie he made with Lauren Bacall, named here as "Flame over India" and elsewhere as "Northwest Frontier"; if that movie is on the telly I simply cannot draw myself away from it. I must have seen it a hundred times.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here's a cover for it

Attachments
flame.jpg
flame.jpg (239.27 KiB) Viewed 187 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Here's another

Notice how for the American audience they give Lauren top billing?
Attachments
flameoverindia.jpg
flameoverindia.jpg (328.12 KiB) Viewed 187 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Of course we know that what they were calling "Northwest Frontier" and "India" was/is mostly Pakistan.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Saw Sidney James' "Carry on Up the Khyber". That was enough exposure to the NW frontier for me!
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

I'm trying to reach out and see if I can get any info or threads pointed my way regarding PBEM sync bugs. I think I might have run into such a problem in my Allied PBEM.

Currently noticing big discrepancies between what is happening in the replay and what I am seeing on screen when I load save. My opponents combat report shows completely different results than my own. I can only think that a few days back he switched to a mac because he was having PC issues and we started getting PWHEX data differs messages. I believe he was using same game copy/version on both computers.

Best way to test is to have him load the game on a friends or work PC and see if it continues. That will at least answer the Mac question. I have had the bug a few times. Usually it goes away after a few turns.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I have one game that I am experiencing sync errors. I have two others that never seem to have any.
It can tell you that it is sucking all enjoyment out of the game for me. My opponent says he has made
no changes and I know I have not made any.
wneumann

Post by wneumann »

I've gone into the War In the Pacific Admirals Edition\SAVE folder after running the game turn replay and found two distinct copies of each turn's report txt file (combatreport, Combat Events, etc) - one with the current game turn date attached, the other without. It appears the files with a date attached (to the file name) are contents of the reports as shown when you're in the game.

Except for the combat report contents of these files are usually identical. AAR's contained in the two combatreport txt files are often different. They may be two different versions of the same event, plus comparing AAR's in the two combatreport txt files also reveals the sync bugs. Keep in mind neither of the two combatreport files is completely accurate, though the copy of combatreport files without a game turn date is often closer to what really occurred. Just treat the two versions of these report files as FOW.

Also... synch bug events should not be ignored. Often these events are things that almost happened but didn't (i.e. two opposing TF in the same hex that didn't spot each other or failed to initiate combat).
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

I suspect the sync bug is being triggered by the use of the "z" key to speed-up the replay. The sync bug issue my opponent IdahoNYer has mentioned usually happens when I lose patience (e.g. during the endless air search / recon phase or long ASW attacks) and punch the Z.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

I suspect the sync bug is being triggered by the use of the "z" key to speed-up the replay. The sync bug issue my opponent IdahoNYer has mentioned usually happens when I lose patience (e.g. during the endless air search / recon phase or long ASW attacks) and punch the Z.
I would like to add, in case it helps, that the ESC was/is thought to be a major culprit. If you have been pressing the ESC key to fast forward through combats and getting sync bugs, then try the 'z' key instead. And if that doesn't help, try sitting on your hands! [:D]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

This may be a stupid question, but are you both running the same version of the game? Generating the replay using a different version will always cause what appears to be a sync bug.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”