Troop experience

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Uncle Lumpy

Troop experience

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

As I understand it, each time a troop is in combat (invasion, defense against invasion, attacking a pirate base, repelling a pirate raid) it gains experience, which translates to increase combat strength.
So is there an upper limit to the amount of how much experience/strength your troops can gain? I ask because I'm getting ready to invade a cluster of stars containing 6 separate small empires. With a collective total of 17 separate colonies.
My base clone trooper strength is already at 45000. If I invade each separate colony, one after the other, then my base strength should increase after each sequential invasion. For a total of 17 times. If so, I'd have Uber troops at the end.
Probably able leap right off any planet and rip apart spaceships with their bare hands. LOL! I know there is an underlying logic to the game, and there must be a formula that governs experience. And most likely a cap on how much experience troops can acquire.
I simply have not run across it in the threads. But then, I really haven't searched that deeply for it, either.
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
Aeson

RE: Troop experience

Post by Aeson »

The last post in this thread says that the maximum stats for troops are 90,000 attack and 90,000 defense.

It's an older post, so it may be out of date, but I don't know of anything more recent.
Uncle Lumpy

Post by Uncle Lumpy »

Thanks Aeson. I did a quick search of the threads and found a different and more recent reference. It reiterated the same 90000k figure.
I once heard there was a garage, which some said was air tight.
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: Aeson

The last post in this thread says that the maximum stats for troops are 90,000 attack and 90,000 defense.

It's an older post, so it may be out of date, but I don't know of anything more recent.

It's still correct. I think it should be 900 * racial modifier for troops. Otherwise it hurts races with a bonus as their troops are no better once the limit is reached. I'll probably change it if I find myself reaching the limit often.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

I think it should be 900 * racial modifier for troops. Otherwise it hurts races with a bonus as their troops are no better once the limit is reached. I'll probably change it if I find myself reaching the limit often.
I don't really agree that it hurts species with better troops. The only type of unit for which species can be made nearly irrelevant at time of recruitment is clone infantry; armored, special forces, and planetary defense units are still stuck at base species strength multiplied by the unit type multiplier and technology/facility bonuses. Even then, the species with troop upkeep reductions are still better than the ones without since unit upkeep is dependent upon the species of the unit, not the founding species of the empire, and the only five species (excluding Shakturi) with troop upkeep reductions are also the five species with the four highest base troop strengths (or five highest if you ignore resource bonuses). This is more an issue of clone infantry being so spectacularly good that once you get a reasonably highly experienced regular infantry unit the clones obsolete just about everything else you can recruit, as long as you keep just enough armored units in invasions to get the armored breakthrough bonus and a few special forces units to destroy defensive facilities during the attack.

As far as extremely experienced units are concerned, I'm fine with the differences in unit strength being erased by extremely high unit experience. You want to spend the effort to get a large group of extremely experienced units? Good for you. The computer probably isn't going to do it except by chance and likely wasn't going to be able to seriously challenge such a group no matter what species the units in the group are composed of unless you're fighting a battle with extremely lopsided numbers, so what does it matter that all species have the same maximum troop strengths?

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”