The Strange things the rules make you do.

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

alexvand

The Strange things the rules make you do.

Post by alexvand »

I always find it interesting what behaviour the rules end up creating. Check out East Prussia in the pic. The Russians don't want to enter because the minute they do Germany gets a production bonus.

It'll be interesting to see when they stop caring.

Attachments
EastPrussia.jpg
EastPrussia.jpg (835.03 KiB) Viewed 39 times
Orm

RE: The Strange things the rules make you do.

Post by Orm »

Why not defend Königsberg?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

The Germans are desperately short of corp and are trying to shorten their line. So they've abandoned Konigsberg and are hoping the Russians don't move through East Prussia. In fact their line is so thin that the Russians may be tempted to go that way because it might be really easy to penetrate there despite the Production bump the Germans will get.

When I get to my other computer I'll try to update the map to show you how bad things have gotten for the Germans. Manstein and Rundstet have both been encircled in Romania along with various other corps.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

How well defended is that clear hex behind the Vistula, with the Berlin MIL? If I were the Russians, I would be very tempted to say to heck with the production multiple, blitz that hex. You aren't attacking Germany, and from there you are threatening Lodz. A breakthrough puts you adjacent to Poznan.

For that matter, the Allies look like they will be taking Rostock soon. Production points now don't mean units for a few more turns. Attack!
I thought I knew how to play this game....
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

The Germans are in serious trouble. Check out the surrounded corp in the south. First time I've ever managed to actually encircle Germans as the Russians. The Paradrop even worked! It only took 2 offensive chits and a double turn to make it happen!

Attachments
SurroundedGermans.jpg
SurroundedGermans.jpg (827.85 KiB) Viewed 39 times
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: alex_van_d

I always find it interesting what behaviour the rules end up creating. Check out East Prussia in the pic. The Russians don't want to enter because the minute they do Germany gets a production bonus.

It'll be interesting to see when they stop caring.

That's not exact. In fact, they can enter and do whatever they want (except attacking) for all the turn except they need to exit before turn end. IMO including overunning.

The production phase is after the turn end, and it's then when this applies:
Increase a major power’s production multiple by 0.25 if there is an in supply enemy unit in the major power’s current home country (an unconquered UK only in the case of the Commonwealth and not Siberia in the case of the USSR).
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

Interesting, even if the hex is controlled by the USSR the production multiple won't be increased.
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

I didn't even notice that! This is one of the reasons I like MWiF. It enforces the rules that I get wrong!
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Yes, Steven has been extraordinary in this too. I think he was already a player of WIF when he started the project, but after dealing with these unnoticeable situations he has became a real expert like very few in the world I believe.

Return to “World in Flames”