Linux Install Guide

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Lowpe

RE: Linux Install Guide

Post by Lowpe »

To install the latest official patch simply choose to "edit or update" on the screen shown in Post #6 and follow normally.

To install the Beta, follow the above steps, but when finished, go into the folders and simply copy the contents of the Beta2 folder and paste them in your main folder overwriting the existing files.

You won't be able to start an official game then, but really who does that?

Save games are in this path:

home/username/playonlinux's virtual drives/witpaejocke/dosdevices c:/matrix games/war in the pacific admirals edition/save

That is a long path...but you can easily create a shortcut to it.

RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Thanks, can you have a look at my post number 12 please?

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

That all looks quite simple thank you, but the very first step of Wine and Linux install is probably so simple because you are used to it, but for anyone new to it there is the initial stumbling block, can you explain precisely how to do those please?

Also once up and running, how do you?

1. Save a file and either send it to your opponent, or get a file from your opponent and put it into the game?
2. Install any update or mods etc?
3. How do you install things like Tracker?

Thx

Roger

Roger, you aren't giving me enough time to crank out the posts![:D]

I think I answered the above questions except tracker, which I have no clue yet how to run. But I will work on it.

I saw your earlier post...to, but wanted to keep cranking out the main install posts before getting to it.

New Linux users would be advised to use either a Debian or Ubuntu distribution...all major distributions in debian or ubuntu will come with a pre-installed software manager or synaptic package manager or even both (I actually have 3 different ones installed),.

They handle adding and removing software...below is the synaptic package manager, I just typed in play on linux, select it, and it will install play on linux and all the dependencies that are needed to run the program (even wine I think).

Attachments
synaptic.jpg
synaptic.jpg (135.9 KiB) Viewed 213 times
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Seriously appreciate all this, I will start to play, thank you so much.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Here is a simpler installer for software with pretty pictures.

I can add/remove/upadte software from here...upadte all software at once, or select what I want to update.

The program will automatically choose for me a stable working version best suited for my operating system.

Attachments
software.jpg
software.jpg (306.31 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Ok, after taking a break, I double checked, and thanks to Roger, I caught the glaring errors I made.

I think I caught every potential problem with a screenshot to make the install as painless as possible. I may put a screenshot up of how you select your graphics driver.

I don't have a lot of experience with debian distributions, but as I understand it debian uses C+ a lot, and that might be the key in getting tracker to work....so I am guessing that tracker won't work in an ubuntu distribtion without first adding C+ to it, but it might work in a debian distribution without that additional step.

That is pure wild speculation with just a hint from one post I was able to research on the forum.

Enough for now.

RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Ok have had a go at this. My experience to date.... creating this in Parallels on my Mac.

1. Downloaded Ubuntu and installed it through Parallels desktop
2. Installed Synaptic Package Manager
3. Installed PlayonLinux via Synaptic Package Manager (which included Wine)
5. Configured Wine
6. Was then able to follow through your instructions

Note post 7 & 8 are wrong order in my experience

However once I have done the switches something goes horribly wrong, I am guessing its the size settings in there - so I have ended up with a black desktop and the game is running in some form of garbled view which I cannot stop?

Have closed the virtual drive and am letting my brain cool down.

Roger
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Ok have had a go at this. My experience to date.... creating this in Parallels on my Mac.

1. Downloaded Ubuntu and installed it through Parallels desktop
2. Installed Synaptic Package Manager
3. Installed PlayonLinux via Synaptic Package Manager (which included Wine)
5. Configured Wine
6. Was then able to follow through your instructions

Note post 7 & 8 are wrong order in my experience

However once I have done the switches something goes horribly wrong, I am guessing its the size settings in there - so I have ended up with a black desktop and the game is running in some form of garbled view which I cannot stop?

Have closed the virtual drive and am letting my brain cool down.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I have gone back and corrected the posts so it should flow correctly now.

I added a section on graphics drivers and suggested starting size switches...try starting in either windowed or full screen mode, just the simple -w or -f.

Also, check you graphics driver. In ubuntu it is under the Software & Updates application.

If you have a long list of proprietary drivers to chose from start with the ones that are tested first.

Attachments
driver.jpg
driver.jpg (232.2 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

To convert that to linux speak that means you have a dual boot machine and can choose which operating system you want to load. Great.

What version of Ubuntu did you install there are lots of flavors and numbers.

On a desktop, that is 5 years or less of age, I recommend Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. That is a rough suggestion.

If you don't like the main Ubuntu Desktop, called Unity, you can change it to one of many flavors. This youtube video gives you a decent idea of the different desktops out there, and then just search the net on how to change the desktop. Don't worry you can always change back to a previous desktop when you log in.

For example on one machine I am running Classic Gnome and on another I am running Cinnamon but both machines are Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiL9gv8U7AM
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Roger I hope that helps. I know how frustrating this can be...
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I am sure it will, but may be a day or two before I can have a proper look, I will post here whatever happens.

Thanks again

Roger
emek

Post by emek »

I can confirm that it works on Fedora 24 (KDE) with no issue. Your instructions are correct with some minor differences due to different Linux distribution.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: emek

I can confirm that it works on Fedora 24 (KDE) with no issue. Your instructions are correct with some minor differences due to different Linux distribution.

Thanks!Glad to have confirmation with a distro I don't use.

I am about to do an Arch install (Manjuro)...should be interesting, but I am not expecting anything wildly different.

After that I will put it on Debian...which I have hopes that Tracker will work without me having to add additional programs.

I still need to play around with switches to tweak the replay.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I have changed my switches and used only the px1920 and py1080 (full screen switch) and noticed a significant improvement in performance during the replay....my basic thought might be that wine and playonlinux are working to run the game and the switches are less important in this install.

I don't even need skipvideo as the video never played to begin with.

Pretty pleased right now with how the game is running, and I think I will be off exploring how to make tracker run. First off will be a simple wine install. Here is hoping...
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

An update to Mac OSX wrecked my whole system this week, its back running but am still tidying bits so I have had no time to look further at this, I will when I get my machine fully operational to my liking again.

Best wishes

Roger
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

In my latest turn I have been using the Manjaro distro of Linux. This is a arch style build (kind of Arch for dummies or the lazy) and is very fast.

I am happy to report this is the fasted running version of Linux I have used yet at processing WITP AE turns.

With only full screen enabled (px1920 py1080) and no other switches set the game runs the replay faster than Windows 7 but about 10% slower than Windows 10...this is the speeded up combat animations. There is no hitches, frame freezes, everything runs very smoothely even when accelerated.

The font in the animation needs work, but other than that this version is a real keeper.

Can't tell you how much Linux has improved at running this game since I first tried over 2 years ago.

I am very happy, and now need to really only worry about fixing tracker. I did work on that a little today, and it won't be easy (at least I don't think it will).

Perhaps the easiest solution for tracker is to create an installer... a .exe file rather than the current mode of unzipping the files. It would be easier to configure play on linux that way I think. Then I only need to make sure java and C+ are enabled and we would be good to go -- maybe.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I ran my latest turn in windowed mode, with only the px1280 by py1024; suppported size.

I am happy to report the turn ran just as quickly and smoothely.

I need to fix the font, but other than that I am decidedly very satisfied. It took less time to tweak the game here than in Windows 10, albeit the game does zip thru animations about 10% faster in Windows 10 than in linux - however all other aspects of the game after that seem identical (except for the font).

Cheers!
NigelKentarus

Post by NigelKentarus »

I downloaded the font Lucida Sans Unicode (I think that's the one that -altFont changes to. Anyway, I copied it into the virtual drive for WITP--AE, under drive_c, windows, fonts and it changed the font in game so that everything fits in the window. But more importantly, I followed the install steps and then I went on after the updates and installed jre-6u45-windows-i586.exe (Java 6). The first time I selected edit and then and the bottom I selected virtual drive. I'm not sure if that worked, so I did it again and changed the default install directory to Tracker, chose Tracker as a shortcut and it WORKS! At least everything I looked at worked. It displayed initialized the db and I was able to load both of my saved turns. I copied my save over to my windows machine and loaded it in Tracker and they matched. The fonts are a little diifferent but it worked.
Fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the plank to Noah's ark. And brother, it's starting to rain.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Really well done![&o]

On both counts...fixing the font and getting tracker to run...so you put java into the tracker directory.

Is this in the play on linux drive path or the hidden .playonlinx path? I think maybe I was overthinking the install.

Also, what distro of Linux are you using?
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

Return to “Tech Support”