Unit weight calculation?

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

NikolaiEzhov

Unit weight calculation?

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

The weight of Truck is always calculated as 3,000 kg, whatever I have changed the data by Equipment Editor.
Likely, the weight of all Artillery Pieces are always calculated as 2,000 kg, squads are 1,000 kg.
I added 1000 APC of 22,500 kg weight each, and end up with a unit of 13500 ton.
However, 1000 BMP-3 of 18,700 kg weight make a unit of 18,750 ton.
Why? [&:][&:][&:]
Proletariat of the world, unite!
Lobster

RE: Unit weight calculation?

Post by Lobster »

One truck is not one truck. It is an unspecified number of trucks. One 'truck' can move an entire division. However, if you have a truck that has weapons it is one truck for combat purposes. So, one truck is an unspecified number of trucks except in combat when it becomes one truck. Try and wrap your head around that logic. Whenever I try to get someone who has anything to do with this game to explain this they just blow me off as though it were an unimportant question. But it isn't unimportant because half tracks are combat vehicles and 'trucks' at the same time. So one half track 'truck' is any number of trucks and can carry a whole division but in combat it's only one vehicle. I think by the time Norm got to this part of the game he was either totally fatigued and didn't care or was a bit tipsy. And evidently it's either too hard to fix or people are too lazy to fix it or it's considered unimportant because with all of the iterations of the game it has never been addressed.

Also, I too have never been able to solve the weight puzzle of this game. I just shrug my shoulders and go on as with most other things considered unimportant by certain people.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: NikolaiEzhov

The weight of Truck is always calculated as 3,000 kg, whatever I have changed the data by Equipment Editor.
Likely, the weight of all Artillery Pieces are always calculated as 2,000 kg, squads are 1,000 kg.
I added 1000 APC of 22,500 kg weight each, and end up with a unit of 13500 ton.
However, 1000 BMP-3 of 18,700 kg weight make a unit of 18,750 ton.
Why? [&:][&:][&:]

I discussed this a bit in my article (found in the "Manuals" folder) "How to Edit the Equipment Database.pdf". See pages 9 & 10.

The "weight" parameter is not actually used. Rather, armored vehicle weights are determined from their DF parameters.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
NikolaiEzhov

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

Many thanks.
I should have read the manual....
But what about the unarmored vehicles and towed artillery? Totally not mentioned in the manual.
I am working on a sea-lift-critical scenario so I have to define the weight of all types of ordnance.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Many thanks.
But what about the unarmored vehicles and towed artillery? Totally not mentioned in the manual.
I am working on a sea-lift-critical scenario so I have to define the weight of all types of ordnance.

It seemed like you had that figured out.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
NikolaiEzhov

Post by NikolaiEzhov »

Not really.
I don't know if I have missed anything, but the DF value does not effect on unarmored vehicles such as Trucks or artillery pieces at all.[:(]
Rescue193

Post by Rescue193 »

Here's another little wrinkle to the 'weight' problem.

In the "A Bridge too Far" scenario as incorporated in the last up-date, the 9 Field Engineering Company of 1 Air Landing Brigade has 45(!) Marmon-Herrington IV armoured cars allocated to it. The number and type notwithstanding (and both are highly fanciful) if you load the unit and then unload it - Presto! - the total lift capacity is increased by the unit's weight. Do this multiple times and you can fly all three airborne divisions to Holland on the first lift!

The same glitch exists with the engineering units in the 52 Lowland Div. Load and unload the engineers multiple times and you can fly the whole division into Holland in one turn!

I'm not sure why this works but its obviously something to do with armoured cars because, if they are deleted from the unit strength, this rather useful (but, I assume, totally unintended and wholly unfair) little bonus disappears.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I suspect there is a hard coded transport capability for recon vehicles. Just a guess on my part. But yeah, bugged.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Grognard

Post by Grognard »

Quick reply off the top of my head - still with a bug.

In my remembered experience - also from "A Bridge too Far":
Unit weight prior to airlift/airborne embarkation reflects vehicular transport.
Upon embarkation the vehicular transport weight is subtracted from the airlift weight used and (the transport) not landed when flown.
(Put into the equipment pool???)
If you disembark in place that transport weight is (mistakenly) added back (an exploit rather than a glitch?).

This is why you can embark units much heavier than the remaining airlift available - 52nd Lowland Engineers being an excellent example....
- but not an exploit as long as you fly them.
Units will arrive at the DZ/LZ minus the transport which appears (again, from the equipment pool??) subsequently.

The bug being - deuce & a half, M3, any prime carrier, etc, et al in numbers in the air at all? Always a very guilty pleasure for me.

The Red Devils were doomed from the git-go... The Deelen option is the ONLY way they survive...

Find 'em, Fix 'em, & Kill 'em
KungPao

Post by KungPao »

Many thanks.
How about this? Adding some new equipment with 0 attack and 0 defense into the units.
Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”