Need help

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

demyansk

Need help

Post by demyansk »

I am playing another game pbem and getting beat as the Germans. I have made it to Narva and stopped with Panzer Group 1. Secondly, in the Center, made it to Minsk and now the Soviets are pushing me back. In the South, almost made it to Kiev and stopped again and no luck with Odessa. Unable to get the siege artillery there due to the rail lines being destroyed and never getting fixed. It's around mid September and I might throw in the towel again. I don't have any troops to cut off the small area in northern Pripyet marshes and the Soviets like to slip troops through this area.

I still find the Soviets quite strong for a Country that had a inexperienced General staff, troops, and totally rocked by the invasion.

Not sure of my next step and all my Group commanders are distrustful and I am getting penalties.

What's the best AAR for me to look at, can't get any farther and need help.
lancer

RE: Need help

Post by lancer »

Hi demjansk,

The game has been extensively tested and is at a point where we believe the balance to be about right. Probably not perfect as that's beyond us but we've got an awful lot of metrics data which gives hard information across hundreds of different players and many more games that gives us some confidence that the balance is within the ball park.

PBEM is different however as you are playing a human opponent and there can be, at times, a significant disparity of skill or experience which is outside of our control Not saying that this is the case here but there are a number of game options available that will allow you to shift the balance point closer to where you think it should be.

Cheers,
Cameron
Isokron

Post by Isokron »

About pbem balancing I would say it currently favours the germans. I just finished a mirror game against Jadgfluger where we both won as the germans (him by rushing moscow in mid july!)

AGN germans will usually win once the finns joins. AGS the soviets have no way of holding the line once the initial regular armies are gone and they are stuck with lots of conscripts. AGC the soviets will usually be able to form a quite formidable wall but you can grind through it at fairly favourable exchange rates if you are patient and will win once 1PG joins from the south.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Where can I find a specific AAR that will show me an advance by turns or even a video. I am not sure if I am too conservative with my attacks. I usually get stopped after Minsk and Narva. I never get to use the siege artillery outside Odessa since that rail line is always non functional.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Maybe by now there are enough human-to-human games that have been reporting metrics back to be statiscally intereseting. I'll see if i can find some time to run them through the calculator and see how the current balance stands.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

About pbem balancing I would say it currently favours the germans. I just finished a mirror game against Jadgfluger where we both won as the germans (him by rushing moscow in mid july!) AGN germans will usually win once the finns joins. AGS the soviets have no way of holding the line once the initial regular armies are gone and they are stuck with lots of conscripts. AGC the soviets will usually be able to form a quite formidable wall but you can grind through it at fairly favourable exchange rates if you are patient and will win once 1PG joins from the south.

Hello Isokron.

I say this with good spirit. I am having a hard time believing your report here and would love to play you or your partner as Soviets. Game options would be Past history and plots off. House rule: no use of help buttons.
Let me know and I will set up a challenge/s.

Walt
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Great you are taking a look at this Vic.
I can send you some files from recent games which in my opinion provide a fair amount of evidence of the state of the balance in the game if that would be useful.

Walt
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Screenshot of the state of Moscow defenses, August 29, 1941 turn, PBEM game against an experienced German Opponent.

Attachments
Moscow_def..9_August.jpg
Moscow_def..9_August.jpg (194.63 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Walt
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Screenshot of the state of the Leningrad Defenses, Aug 29, 1941 turn.

Attachments
Leningrad_.._29_turn.jpg
Leningrad_.._29_turn.jpg (195.42 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Walt
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

And last, Soviet Defense in the South, Aug 29, 1941.

Attachments
Defense_So.._29_turn.jpg
Defense_So.._29_turn.jpg (190.23 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Walt
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Troop Totals, Aug, 29, 1941 turn.

Attachments
Troop_tota.._29_Turn.jpg
Troop_tota.._29_Turn.jpg (192.59 KiB) Viewed 503 times
Walt
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

The PBEM game IMO is very much in favor of the Germans. One of the reasons I stopped playing it. I came to realize the devs were really only interested in making the AI players happy. Which is fine as they make up the bulk of sales. As a PBEM player I just moved on.
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Hello there Michael.

Well, after I beat Isokron and then Cameron playing the Reds, I hope I will be able to entice you into a return to DC game, you playing the evil Huns.

Walt
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I would take me two weeks to get back up to speed. Get my opening down pat again, get a feel for the combat again etc.

Time I don't have ATM. And I would need more enticement. A prize perhaps... [:D]

Anyway I would bet on Isokron taking you out. Not because I think he is that much better than you, just because the game favors the Germans so much. If they really know their business.
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Hello there

Well now if I take Isokron out I will be back and yes, a prize to get you back would be on the table.

If you win that is. And we can agree on that when we got to the contest if it happens.

Walt
Walt
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Well I last played with version 1.02. Which was even more pro German than 1.01. I don't see anything in the change log to suggest my opinion of balance would change.

Unless I missed something. I know siege artillery has been nerfed. But has the reinforcement schedule changed or Conscripts suddenly grown a leg?
Isokron

Post by Isokron »

Wadortch, Im on vacation right now but we can start one in two weeks if you want.
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Hello Isokron.
We will be on vacation for about 6 weeks (sailing) but depending on where we cruise this year, I will be able to connect to the server.
I will set up a challenge and send you an email as to the p/w and will watch for you to accept it.
So--options
FOW-on
Historical-off
Mild Winter-off
Easy mode-off
Tougher Soviet-off
Free set up-off
Imperial measurements-off
Decisions limited-off
Past History-off
Plots-off
War Diary-on.

Let me know if these options are good and I will set it up.

Looking forward to our contest!

Walt
Walt
Isokron

Post by Isokron »

Sounds fine to me.
wadortch

Post by wadortch »

Hello Isokron

Challenge issued, emailed you the password.

Looking forward to our contest!
Walt

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”