Let's Play as a Pirate!

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

johanwanderer

Let's Play as a Pirate!

Post by johanwanderer »

I got bored and decided to make a Let's Play series to see how it work.

So far, I found out that:
* My microphone sucks (USB headset -- no option to boost level)
* I need to talk more
* I need to be more prepared
* I need to play more. I suck at this game now.
* I probably should enable the cursor so people can see what I click at.
* Defense postures don't seem to work.

Anyway, it's a work in progress. Here is the link to the playlist on YouTube:
Let's Play Distant Worlds: Universe as a pirate faction

Enjoy!
Long.

P.S. Sorry for the sound issues!
johanwanderer

RE: Let's Play as a Pirate!

Post by johanwanderer »

Part 8 of the series is now up. I played with the audio settings a bit more, so hopefully the sounds are better (with volume turned up). Also made sure that the cursor is visible.

Let me know if that is better than the previous ones.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Let's Play Pirate in Distant Worlds: Universe - Part 14 - In Bad Shape is now up. As you can probably tell from the title, the series is not doing well. The earlier mistakes have been compounding, and I now find myself way behind the active powers. With both resource and money issues, the faction is slowly going into decline. I'm thinking about restarting the game (or start a new one) and try to make fewer mistakes. I might wait for the new mic to come in before doing that though.
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

interesting AAR, I fill follow you: never head the courage [8|]to play as pirate..
Damiac

Post by Damiac »

I sort of doubt postures are going to work at all for pirates, as they don't work at all against them.

Supposedly it's due to those postures requiring you to be at war with that faction, and pirates can't be at war with anyone, nor can anyone be at war with pirates.

It's unfortunate, as pirates are the main thing I'd like to use postures against, but that seems to be how it is.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Defensive posture *seems* to work against pirates, as far as I can remember. As an empire, my fleets seem to react against pirates just fine. Anyway, since postures don't seem to work for pirates, it will require more micromanagement, which is really hard to do when you try to narrate at the same time :). I think I need to pause and micromanage a lot more in the next few episodes, assuming I haven't doomed the game already.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Let's Play Pirate in Distant Worlds: Universe - Part 16 - Raiding and
Let's Play Pirate in Distant Worlds: Universe - Part 17 - New Base are up.

In these episodes, the pirates are going back to doing what they do best: being bullies, picking on the weak, and avoid the strong. Constructions started on a new outpost, which hopefully will usher in a new era of prosperity (for the pirates, that is.)
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

I think I'll call this as a defeat... Let's Play Pirate in Distant Worlds: Universe - Part 20 - Calling It

The empires are getting too strong now, and my mismanagements have left the faction without money to build more ships. One possibility is to seek out and destroy all the other pirates, but that doesn't seem very fulfilling -- assuming that I can even do that :)

I might have to take some time and do a few more practice runs before recording another series. Either that or play as an empire for a bit just to get that out of the system.

In the mean time, enjoy my blunders. The whole playlist is here: Let's Play Pirate in Distant Worlds: Universe
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Part 3, 4, and 5 are now up. We are actually building hidden bases and everything like a pirate faction should :)
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Part 6 and Part 7 are up. I feel like we wasted a lot of money in these episodes trying to build hidden bases just to get them destroyed, possibly by our own ships. We are slowly expanding our influences though, albeit not intentionally in some cases.

I think I keep defaulting to the empire mind set, and therefore not being very effective at micromanaging the fleets.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

In part 8 of this series, I finally managed to expand our turf a bit.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

In episode 9 we further exert our controls within our own space, and push the other factions out.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Episode 10 is up, now with our own shiny criminal network [:D].

Also, does anyone know why I can't bombard an independent colony? I was trying to reduce its population to below the pirate-immune threshold, but I don't even have the option of bombarding it. I guess attacking it with bombard weapon may have some effects, but that's something to test out in the next episode [:)]

Edit: include link.
Damiac

Post by Damiac »

Bombarding independent planets isn't allowed...from the local solar system view. However, you can right click(Or maybe ctrl+right click) the system from the galaxy view, and then you get the option to bombard the planet from there.

I'm not exactly sure what the intended behavior is there... it seems like you should be able to bombard whatever you want.

johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

ORIGINAL: Damiac

Bombarding independent planets isn't allowed...from the local solar system view. However, you can right click(Or maybe ctrl+right click) the system from the galaxy view, and then you get the option to bombard the planet from there.

I'm not exactly sure what the intended behavior is there... it seems like you should be able to bombard whatever you want.

Thank you very much for that tidbit. I shall make use of it in the next episode (Episode 11 has already been recorded by the time I saw this.) The people on Atuuku 4 will forever wonder what they did to deserve such fate.
Damiac

Post by Damiac »

Hahahaha, awesome.

Damiac, destroyer of worlds, giver of advice of questionable ethics...
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

I have switched to uploading one video a day (and also try to reign in the video duration to 30 minutes a piece, with various success [:)]), so I probably will just post a recap here every few days or so unless something really interesting happens.

Anyway, Troxean Confederacy -- Pirates in Distant Worlds: Universe - Part 13 - More mining bases and Troxean Confederacy -- Pirates in Distant Worlds: Universe - Part 14 - Found more bases have been uploaded, with part 15 to be uploaded later tonight.
johanwanderer

Post by johanwanderer »

Quick update: we are are now up to Part 19 for this series.

Return to “After Action Reports”