Huh?

Based on Slitherine’s popular tabletop wargaming system by the same name, Field of Glory now comes to the PC in a faithful adaptation of this acclaimed miniatures wargame! Without the calculations and measurements required for a tabletop game of Field of Glory, the PC version accurately represents Ancient and Medieval combat where you make the important and fun decisions on the battlefield. This forum also supports the Rise of Rome, Storm of Arrows and Immortal Fire expansions to Field of Glory.
towerbooks3192

RE: Huh?

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

@VPaulus

Thanks for the links to screenshots, those are really helpful. Actually, I don't think that the map and unit graphics are worse than the old version. The GUI in general (menus, etc.) are different and in my opinion a bit worse, but not the end of the world and probably pretty easily fixed (change color scheme, etc.).

But the main thing for me will be game play changes; I'll keep an eye on the Slitherine forum to see what people think.

Can't comment much on the AI but there are some things that I like about the new version.I like how the movement wasn't fiddly anymore since I sometimes accidentally move a unit back and forth when tracing the arrow movement. The other thing that I like is the auto attack for the compulsory attack so you don't have to worry about getting prompted to attack before being able to end your turn.

UI-wise I prefer the older version since the newer one is really a huge step backward. As a beginner I find the old one more intuitive. Also the pace the combat resolves is too fast in the new version to the point that it is hard to follow at times (Sengoku Jidai and Pike and Shot does a good job of showing the results of a melee phase). There are some greyed out options like the AI options for AI personality and handicap in the DAG battle mode. Handicap seems to be not working as of the moment as well on scenario battles. Hopefully the editor will come soon and they fix most problems in the game because I don't want to return to the old one only because of the lack of the vikings.
et ignobiles oblivio
vaalen

Post by vaalen »

ORIGINAL: redcoat

I've just tried the new version of the game. I much preferred the graphics and UI of the original. I've uninstalled the new version already. I might give the new version another try in the future.

I also much prefer the graphics and UI of the original. I am truly puzzled as to why they were changed for the worse, in my opinion.
jomni

Post by jomni »

To be fair. The graphics files are exactly the same. But the Unity engine does not render them well. But takes a lot of effort to redo all the painted figured pictures from all expansions and save them in a higher resolution for Unity. It will never see the light of day if they redo everything. So I'm gland that this is out.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I've only played a handful of Unity games, but can't say that I liked any of them--the GUIs are always somehow a bit off.
Zap

Post by Zap »

This is why its very important to me to follow development and the all important observation of players. I don't own a early battles game. So I search to find the best possible game for me. I'm all about game selectiveness. I want a game that I will play and not just put on the shelf. I just read (wargamer interview) that the original maker is planning a Field of Glory II. So I continue to search.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

If only they could incorporate the graphics of the Tin Soldiers games. Now those are top notch graphics for an ancients game.
leftydad

Post by leftydad »

If I might ask...how are the Tin Soldiers game to play? Good quality?
James
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: leftydad

If I might ask...how are the Tin Soldiers game to play? Good quality?

The Caesar one is as that's the only one I have. The graphics are awesome and the AI is pretty good. It's static senarios though no randomly generated maps but they are fun and challenging to play and they do branch out in different directions from game to game depending on how you play. If I liked static map and units games I'd definitely play it more but I've played all the senarios a couple of times now and after that they get a bit redundant and samey. It would have made a great random generated map and units game though. Seems all the good ones keep leaving Matrix/Slitherine, I wonder why?

The Caesar at Alesia one is very good nail biting one.

Return to “Field of Glory Series”