Interesting video

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rising-Sun

Interesting video

Post by Rising-Sun »

Just watch this video on youtube, it is interesting. Noticed they mention the Japanese light cruiser Ohi, that suppose to be Oi, could we misspell that ship by mistake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8icQgHsBGzg

I haven't seen or heard any Japanese players here that are from Japan that has really good knowledge of the Pacific War in the World War II. Only a few I meant online and the internet information itself all over the board.

Anachro

RE: Interesting video

Post by Anachro »

The ship is definitely called Oi. You might have misheard. Remember, it's pronounced oi! as in hey!, but the o can be drawn out: ooi
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

The ship is definitely called Oi. You might have misheard. Remember, it's pronounced oi! as in hey!, but the o can be drawn out: ooi

Nope, watch the video, they printed it out in English translated from Japanese. It is interesting though and just curious if that is true or not.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I've watched the video, but the kanji for the ship very clearly read as Oi. Mean't to say "not pronounced as Oi! as in hey!," but with a drawn out oo-i.

大 = oo
井 = i

I'm guessing they just made a mistake in the transcription. Sometimes the transition from the oo to the i makes it sound like there is an h in front of the i.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

I've watched the video, but the kanji for the ship very clearly read as Oi. Mean't to say "not pronounced as Oi! as in hey!," but with a drawn out oo-i.

‘å = oo
ˆä = i

I'm guessing they just made a mistake in the transcription. Sometimes the transition from the oo to the i makes it sound like there is an h in front of the i.

Could be, but interesting video though. Even Taiho is Taihou. They pronounce Tai'ho'u.
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Yah, the funny thing with transcribing Japanese or Chinese words into Roman letters is there are many different interpretations for how to do so. Look at the Wade-Giles system for Romanization of Chinese and compare to the modern, government-sponsored pinyin system. You'll find that a lot of older transliterations of Japanese and Chinese to be outdated and a bit weird to the modern viewer.

The "ii" in Oi comes from the character 井, which is often added on to other words to give them an *ii* at the end. Sakurai, for instance, is made using the character 桜 or sakura, meaning cherry blossoms, and the 井 character. In this same way, 大井 uses the character OO, which means big or large, and 井 to produces Ooi, or Ōi

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

‘å = oo
ˆä = i

Could be, but interesting video though. Even Taiho is Taihou. They pronounce Tai'ho'u.
In Sweden all English speaking TV shows or films are subtitled in Swedish. It is very often that I catch errors in the translation. And in books as well although there it is tougher to check the English text.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Just watch this video on youtube, it is interesting. Noticed they mention the Japanese light cruiser Ohi, that suppose to be Oi, could we misspell that ship by mistake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8icQgHsBGzg

I haven't seen or heard any Japanese players here that are from Japan that has really good knowledge of the Pacific War in the World War II. Only a few I meant online and the internet information itself all over the board.

Thank you for sharing.[:)] I will look at it tomorrow.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”