I may like thinking about games more than playing them.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

jack54

I may like thinking about games more than playing them.

Post by jack54 »

Hmmm as the title says I find myself thinking about games a lot more than actually playing them. IDK maybe it's the stage of life I'm in; the 2 AM game sessions are no more.

I find myself reading rule books (especially board war-games)and 'lurking' on the forum more often, just seeing what's new.

I find it a little distressing. I hope the feeling passes. The hobby was once a great enjoyment.
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)
wings7

RE: I may like thinking about games more than playing them.

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: jack54

Hmmm as the title says I find myself thinking about games a lot more than actually playing them. IDK maybe it's the stage of life I'm in; the 2 AM game sessions are no more.

I find myself reading rule books (especially board war-games)and 'lurking' on the forum more often, just seeing what's new.

I find it a little distressing. I hope the feeling passes. The hobby was once a great enjoyment.

Since you are reading alot of board game rule books, you should play what you read...the distressed feeling should go away. [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
wodin

Post by wodin »

Me too. Sometimes the idea of a game is better than the end result. This is why people become game designers.
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy some games and actually plan on buying another today but it's just not the same. What I find interesting is that I can take the Warbirds rule book with me when my wife and I go shopping and I'll find great joy studying the 'Vertical Angle Off Table' or the 'weapon malfunction flow chart' and say "brilliant how did he come up with it". It may seem strange but I can read it like a novel.

MunGuel

Post by MunGuel »

I like to imagine how to build a house in The Sims 4, but when I start playing, I'm too lazy to build
wings7

Post by wings7 »

What I find interesting is that I can take the Warbirds rule book with me when my wife and I go shopping and I'll find great joy studying the 'Vertical Angle Off Table' or the 'weapon malfunction flow chart' and say "brilliant how did he come up with it". It may seem strange but I can read it like a novel.

Consider yourself fortunate to have a reaction like that. I have the same reaction but often it takes a few times reading it (sometimes many times) to understand it...[:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
wodin

Post by wodin »

10 years went into Warbirds and it shows! A great set of game PDF's to get stuck into:)

I used to love reading PC game rulebooks.. and a HTTR one.

If I ever get around to getting a PDF reader I'll spend many an hour reading rulebooks myself.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy some games and actually plan on buying another today but it's just not the same. What I find interesting is that I can take the Warbirds rule book with me when my wife and I go shopping and I'll find great joy studying the 'Vertical Angle Off Table' or the 'weapon malfunction flow chart' and say "brilliant how did he come up with it". It may seem strange but I can read it like a novel.
gexmex

Post by gexmex »

I find myself in a similar place at the moment, jack. Odd feeling. I've spent far more time reading about and watching people play certain games, than actually doing so myself. Just figured I was a one-off oddball :-P
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

In a way I kind of understand what you mean. When I was younger, I would talk myself into buying a game and I found a lot of games that I really liked. Now, I find I talk myself out of buying games more often than not.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

In a way I kind of understand what you mean. When I was younger, I would talk myself into buying a game and I found a lot of games that I really liked. Now, I find I talk myself out of buying games more often than not.

I get that! I call it selective buying. Getting my money worth is more important than the buying of a game.

I do investigate the game more today by going to the forum sight. Reading comments, AARs. It has had a positive effect. The last four games I purchased have been played and not just put on the shelf.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

I go through a phase like this from time to time as well. I think part of it is that I have far more games to play than time to play them. I run into times where I have a couple hours free and end up spending thirty minutes just trying to pick which game in my list to play. Then I start a game and decide I don't want to waste my time playing it if I'm not really in the mood. Then I go online to read about some game or other, and before you know my free time is up and I've barely done anything.

My mostly successful strategy to resolve this has been to sharply reduce new purchases by setting a very limited monthly budget split between any board game and video game purchases. I also try to focus on just a couple of games at a time. Like, one multiplayer game, one never-ending single player game (strategy games, rogue-likes, etc. stuff you can't really "finish"), and then one single player game with a finite campaign which I play to completion before moving on. This has given me a lot of satisfaction lately since I can feel good about actually finishing games.

I've really gotten into board games in the last couple of years and I find that I'm terrible about having a burning passion for a new game right up until I have the rules mastered, and then putting it on the shelf for months. I LOVE devouring a big rulebook like the one for Mage Knight or a COIN game, but then I find it difficult to muster the motivation to actually play the thing. That's a habit I have yet to lick. I just bought Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition, so here's to actually playing it more than once!
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33
My mostly successful strategy to resolve this has been to sharply reduce new purchases by setting a very limited monthly budget split between any board game and video game purchases. I also try to focus on just a couple of games at a time. Like, one multiplayer game, one never-ending single player game (strategy games, rogue-likes, etc. stuff you can't really "finish"), and then one single player game with a finite campaign which I play to completion before moving on. This has given me a lot of satisfaction lately since I can feel good about actually finishing games.

Excellent ideas! [:)]
jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: Ranger33

I go through a phase like this from time to time as well. I think part of it is that I have far more games to play than time to play them. I run into times where I have a couple hours free and end up spending thirty minutes just trying to pick which game in my list to play. Then I start a game and decide I don't want to waste my time playing it if I'm not really in the mood. Then I go online to read about some game or other, and before you know my free time is up and I've barely done anything...

I've really gotten into board games in the last couple of years and I find that I'm terrible about having a burning passion for a new game right up until I have the rules mastered, and then putting it on the shelf for months. I LOVE devouring a big rulebook like the one for Mage Knight or a COIN game, but then I find it difficult to muster the motivation to actually play the thing. That's a habit I have yet to lick. I just bought Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition, so here's to actually playing it more than once!

Wow Ranger you have summed up almost exactly of what I do...
Recently I have been buying games on areas I'm interested in but not very familiar for example WW1 air combat or maybe Feudal Japan. This leads me to books on the subject; exploring the topic deeper. That IMHO is a good thing even if actual gameplay time suffers.

Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Recently I have been buying games on areas I'm interested in but not very familiar for example WW1 air combat or maybe Feudal Japan.
Sounds interesting. What games you bought?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
wodin

Post by wodin »

Matti, going by his previous posts the WW1 game is this...

http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/2016/05/warbirds-canvas-falcons-aars.html
jack54

Post by jack54 »

Yes (Print and play-- Warbirds: Canvas Falcons) http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... as-falcons

Boxed board game by GMT ('Bloody April') http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... ras-france

Just scratching the surface with them so far...

And here at matrix for PC Sengoku Jidai (I'm having charge trouble with the order so I haven't played it yet but I enjoy the Pick and Shot engine)

Return to “General Discussion”