NewB - Linking ships

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

kbfchicago

NewB - Linking ships

Post by kbfchicago »

Hello all,

Long time player, first time mod'er. Am adding the Monson Gruppe (German & Italian U-boats) to the DaBabes game I like to play. I think I have most of this figured out...except;

The Cappellini (Italian sub) arrived in the AO in July 1943. Following the Italian armistice (9/43) it re-flagged as UIT-24. Following the surrender of Germany (5/45) it re-flagged again to I-503. To reflect in the game I created three entries in the Ships DB (Cappellini, UIT-24, I-503) all linked to the Marcello Ship class then used arrival and departure dates to reflect re-flagging, with fairly stiff PP penalties if not done.

So...it now occurs to me even if sunk in an earlier life...it will rise like ghost ship to enter play again using this method. Is there a way to link these three versions of the same sub together so if an earlier one meets its demise it does not return?

Many thanks for any help.

Kevin
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
LargeSlowTarget

RE: NewB - Linking ships

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Don't think it is possible.

I have the Axis subs in my DBB-based mod (see "sharing mod ideas" thread). If I remember correctly my solution is one sub with one "official" name and the others names in brakes behind.
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

Thank you LST.

I did see your thread on Mod ideas. Note above leads me to believe you have created a Monsoon Group mod. If so have you posted or would you be willing to share? Would love to compare what I came up with to your approach. In addition to what the editor documentation provided as guidelines I did a fair amount of extrapolation using what I thought were existing equivalents.

Kevin
LargeSlowTarget

See http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4111097 in the "Sharing mod ideas" thread.

There is actually not enough space to put all three names. Here are my "monsson boats" and the Italian subs.

Attachments
monssonboats.jpg
monssonboats.jpg (114.34 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Dili

Post by Dili »

13.2 AAMG were double mounts, ammunition per tube was typically 2500.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

You can't rename but, if the ship is the only ship of the class then use the upgrade in the ship class section. Have each upgrade change the name. I believe this will work....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Dili

Post by Dili »

I think that only changes the class name not the ship name.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

Right. Like I said, I haven't tried it yet....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

The Monsoon's - there are two groups - are GERMAN (not Italian) submarines operating in the Indian Ocean.
For a complete list, along with the few raiders after Dec 1941 and the few support ships in PTO -
see RHS (either Level I or Level II). In RHS these arrive in the Indian Ocean, generally at Amsterdam
Island. Not because it is a German base, but because it is a lousy base (0 port value and 0 potential
for airfield and port - to which I add construction is not allowed - nor is invasion by the Allies).

Italian submarines almost universally are transport submarines (even when built as attack boats).
Neither German nor Italian transport subs (yet) have a function in AE. I am working on a theory with
Mifune - and in RHS Level II we may reward subs or blockade runners able to export from PTO - probably
with HI points.

According to Norman Polmar in his Submarines of the Imperial Japanese Navy (USNI, formerly out of print but
now available again new), this is the ONLY instance of effective Axis cooperation between Europe and Asia.
[There were technical attempts and plans which didn't work out - but the sub campaign in the Indian Ocean
was remarkably successful.]

Generally German ships were given JAPANESE names - Thor was renamed Ichi Maru (First Ship) for example.
In RHS usually I give the German name first followed by the Japanese designator - but the raiders Thor
and Michael are called Ichi Maru [Ex Thor] and Ni Maru [Ex Michael] because room permits and because they
operated extensively using these names INSTEAD of their former ones. Submarines are similar - the German
U number followed by a / and then the Japanese I or Ro designator and number. The record numbers for these
German vessels begin with 16897 in all RHS scenarios.

kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

LST,

You had a couple I had missed in my research. I also chose not to add the cargo (only) boats since they just made strategic material trips to/from. Your catch of U-219/195 to I-505/506 however did stay and were pressed into IJN service so have revised and included as such. Many thanks for sharing. Kevin
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

El Cid, was not aware they were in RHS, I just started the level II version last weekend! Will look for them. Thanks. Kevin
Dili

Post by Dili »

But when the Germany is about to go down they cease to be strategic transport boat to just transport boats, so it is okay if the player has that boats available say around begin of 1945.
LargeSlowTarget

ORIGINAL: kbfchicago

LST,

You had a couple I had missed in my research. I also chose not to add the cargo (only) boats since they just made strategic material trips to/from. Your catch of U-219/195 to I-505/506 however did stay and were pressed into IJN service so have revised and included as such. Many thanks for sharing. Kevin

I have also added U-533, U-852, U-198 and U-859 since they made it as far as the Indian Ocean (U-859 was sunk short of reaching Penang). I have not included the "torpedo transport" U-1062. Like El Cid, I have the KM raiders and blockade runners included as well. Never have played RHS, there are probably differences in our takes on ship classes.
@El Cid - what is this stuff about Japanese names for the German raiders? They never served under Japanese colors. They disguised themself as foreign ships, maybe even as Japanese, but I have never come across a book mentioning a renaming of the two raiders. Details please!

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”