Ruby Slipper, 2016 (Based on Red Phoenix Burning)

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

wqc12345

Ruby Slipper, 2016 (Based on Red Phoenix Burning)

Post by wqc12345 »

This scenario is a fictional engagement between the Russian Federation and the DPRK (with some help from the PRC). The intent of the scenario was to model some Russian Federation weaponry vs. older Soviet weaponry.

The goal is simple, stop the firing of the DPRK missile(s) on the Russian Motherland. The player of this scenario will be faced with multiple problems and conerns combined with the singular objective of destroying the missiles.

The DPRK offers a rich scenery for scenario gameplay, and many are crafted against Western military systems. I hope this offers a different dynamic where the player is faced with facing similar systems both arrayed against and for. Also, I've taken great pains at trying to adapt the AI to respond to multiple vectors, from the decisions on what to do with the PRC SAG, to how to land recon elements in a contested airspace. I hope the AI will challenge you based on how I crafted various triggers and events.

Take your time and make sure to read all scenario event messages.

The first briefing is below, a letter from the Defensive Minister of the Russian Federation to you outlining the problem and possible solutions.

SCENARIO AUTHOR: Will Coleman

[font="Courier New"]***************** СОВЕРШЕННО CЕКРЕТНО *****************

01062016 2000 ZULU / 0500 LOCAL

TO: COLONEL-GENERAL ALEXANDER ANTON GINADY,

FR: MINISTER OF DEFENSE SERGEI SHOYGU

SUBJ: OPERATION RUBY SLIPPER (РУБИНОВЫЙ БАШМАЧОК)

THE DAYS OF THE KIM REGIME ARE DRAWING TO A CLOSE.

AS OF MIDNIGHT LAST NIGHT, WE RECEIVED VERY CREDIBLE INTELLIGENCE THAT KIM JONG-UN IS PREPARING HIS NUCLEAR WEAPONS. OUR SUPPORT FOR THE WORKERS' PARTY OF KOREA (WPK) FORCES THREATENING PYONGYANG IN NORTH KOREA'S CIVIL WAR, HAS CHANGED THE POWER DYNAMIC SIGNIFICANTLY, AND AS SUCH, WE FEEL WE MUST ACT TO MAINTAIN BOTH THE WPK'S INITIATIVE AND THE SAFETY OF OUR ARMED FORCES. KIM JONG-UN IS INDISCRIMINATELY THREATENING ANY NATION THAT IS AGAINST HIM, AND WITH OUR PUBLIC SUPPORT FOR THE WPK, HIS EDICT PUTS OUR FAR EAST NAVAL AND AIR FORCE FACILITIES, IN THE DPRK'S NUCLEAR CROSS HAIRS.

OUR SO CALLED FRIENDS IN BEIJING, WHO FEEL IT'S BEST TO CONTINUE SUPPORT FOR THIS WORTHLESS, VILE REGIME, ARE, AS OF THIS MOMENT, SENDING IN VITAL SUPPLIES TO FURTHER KIM'S AIM AND POWER.

A PRC SURFACE ACTION GROUP (SAG) IS STEAMING NORTH TO PUAM-DONG NAVAL BASE UNDER THE AUSPICES OF HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE. OUR INTELLIGENCE NETWORK IN CHINA'S CENTRAL COMMITTEE TELL US IT'S ACTUALLY MISSILE PARTS, SPECIFICALLY, GYROS, TIMING AND AIMING DEVICES FOR THE NODONG SERIES OF MISSILES, WHICH FURTHER COMPLICATES MATTERS. HOWEVER, THE SAG ALSO INCLUDES VITAL FOOD, SMALL ARMS, AND SOME HEAVY WEAPONRY TO FURTHER THE CAUSE OF KIM JONG-UN AND HIS CRONIES, WHICH, BY OUR ESTIMATE, IS LOSING GROUND AND, WE HOPE, THIS CIVIL WAR.

AS YOU ARE AWARE FROM LAST NIGHT'S RT BROADCAST, PRESIDENT VADIM HAS MADE HIS SUPPORT FOR THE WPK PUBLIC, BOTH MATERIALLY AND POLITICALLY. THIS MEANS THE PRESIDENT HAS AUTHORIZED DIRECT RUSSIAN KINETIC ACTION IN THIS CONFLICT.

KIM'S FORCES STILL HOLD MOST OF THE EASTERN NAVAL AND AIR BASES, WHICH ARE PROVIDING ACTIVE COVER FOR THE INCOMING PRC SAG AND PORT FACILITIES. YOU WILL BE FACED WITH SEVERAL CHOICES, NONE OF THEM GOOD, HOWEVER, WE FEEL IT'S BEST TO GIVE YOU COMMAND DISCRETION. AND IF THE PRC WANTS WAR, WE WILL DEFEND OUR INTERESTS ACCORDINGLY, BUT IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, AVOID CONFLICT WITH THE PRC.

NORTH KOREA HAS ISSUED A GENERAL WARNING TO ALL POWERS, IN THAT, ANY VIOLATION OF THEIR AIRSPACE WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE HOSTILE ACTION.

SATELLITE INTEL SHOWS ONE MISSILE ON ONE PAD, WAITING TO LAUNCH, IF WE CAN DESTROY IT BEFORE HE PROVIDES ANY LAUNCH ORDERS, OR BEFORE IT'S PREPARATORY PERIOD, WE MAY SAVE COUNTLESS LIVES. HOWEVER, WE ALSO KNOW THAT THE MISSILE PARTS TRUCK CONVOY FROM PUAM-DONG WILL BE CARRYING PARTS TO SUPPLY YET ANOTHER MISSILE OR MISSILES.

WE HAVE HUMINT INTELLIGENCE THAT ONCE THE PRC FLEET ARRIVES IN PUAM-DONG, THAT A DPRK TRUCK CONVOY WILL DEPART AND ARRIVE AT THE TONGHAE MISSILE COMPLEX SHORTLY THEREAFTER. WE KNOW THE NODONG MISSILE SYSTEM NEEDS AT LEAST FOUR (4) HOURS OF PREP BEFORE THE ONE STANDING MISSILE CAN LAUNCH, AND EIGHT (8) HOURS PREP FOR THE ARRIVING UNPREPARED COMPONENTS TO BOTH STAND AND LAUNCH THEIR MISSILE OR MISSILES.

STRIKE, SLOW OR STOP EITHER THE CONVOY BEFORE IT ARRIVES AND TAKE DOWN THE MISSILE ON THE ONE KNOWN PAD, AS THE DPRK HAS NO SILOS WE ARE AWARE OF. HOWEVER, THIS PAD MUST BE POSITIVELY IDENTIFIED BEFORE ANY ACTION ON YOUR PART, OTHERWISE, WE ARE WORRIED THE KIM CLAN WILL LAUNCH WHAT THEY HAVE ON THE PAD AS SOON AS ANY THREATENING FORCES GET WITHIN ITS PROXIMITY. IN OTHER WORDS, NO MASS KALIBER MISSILE ATTACKS, THIS WILL MOST DEFINITELY RESULT IN A MISSILE LAUNCH IF YOU FAIL TO HIT THE PAD WITH THE READY MISSILE.

WE HAVE MOVED NUMEROUS ASSETS TO KOMSOMOLSKNA AND MONGOKHTO AIRBASES, INCLUDING BRAND NEW SU-34'S AS WELL AS MODERNIZED SU-24'S FROM THE SUKHOI PLANT AT KOMSOMOLSKNA. THESE A/C FROM KOMSOMOLSKNA WILL FORM THE BULK OF YOUR TACTICAL STRIKE A/C. THE TU-22'S ARE AN INSURANCE POLICY FOR THIS MISSION.

ALL FAR-EAST NAVAL TU-22M3 BACKFIRE BOMBERS ARE GOING TO BE FLYING FROM MONGOKHTO AB, AND ARE PREP'ED FOR ONE STRIKE, USING THE NEW AS-4D MODEL MISSILE. YOU HAVE A PARTIAL SQUADRON OF SU-30'S AND A FULL STRENGTH NAVAL SQUADRON OF SU-33'S AT TSENTRANLNAYA UGLOVAYA AB. THESE STRIKE AND TOP COVER A/C HAVE BEEN ACCOMPANIED BY JAMMING AND ELINT ASSETS ALSO BASED AT TSENTRANLNAYA UGLOVAYA.

THE ARMY HIGH COMMAND HAS MOVED A KRASUHA-4 JAMMING COMPANY TO THE SOUTHERNMOST POINT OF OUR TERRITORY TO HELP ASSIST IN ANY FURTHER DEGRADATION OF THE DPRK'S EW COVERAGE. THIS JAMMING COMPANY HAS SETUP A FORWARD OPERATING BASE WITH ATTACK AND JAMMING HELICOPTERS. A SPETSNAZ RECON FORCE AT THE FARP IS BEING PREPARED TO LAND NEAR TONGHAE TO ASSIST IN FINDING AND TARGETING THE MISSILES WITH LASER DESIGNATORS.

ADDITIONALLY, OUR NEWEST DIESEL-ELECTRIC LADA-CLASS SUBMARINE, SANKT PETERSBURG AND AN IMPROVED KILO, KRASNODAR, ARE IN POSITION TO STRIKE TONGHAE WITH KALIBER MISSILES.

I MUST STRESS THIS POINT AGAIN, HALT BOTH THE PURPORTED MISSILE PARTS TRUCK CONVOY TO STOP ANY LATER MISSILE PREPARATIONS FOLLOWING THE DOCKING OF THE PRC SAG GROUP, AS WELL AS POSITIVELY IDENTIFYING THE LAUNCH PAD WITH THE ONE KNOWN NODONG MISSILE, AND DESTROYING IT.

AND LASTLY, THE PRC IS ACTIVELY ASSISTING THE DPRK AND WE CANNOT TRUST THAT THEY WILL REMAIN NEUTRAL IN THIS EFFORT. IF CHINA ATTACKS OR RETALIATES RU A/C, YOU ARE ORDERED TO DEFEND AND STRIKE BACK AT ANY PRC AGGRESSION, BUT WE HOPE IT NEVER COMES TO THAT.

IF YOU CAN STOP THE MISSILE PARTS TRUCK CONVOY, DESTROY THE LONE MISSILE PAD, AND AVOID WAR WITH THE PRC, THE RUSSIAN PRESIDENT WILL PIN THE HERO OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION ON YOUR CHEST.

MINISTER OF DEFENSE SERGEI SHOYGU

***************** СОВЕРШЕННО CЕКРЕТНО *****************
[/font]
CURRENT VERSION: VERSION V.10

V.10
- added the exclusion zones for both PRC and NK forces to allow for a more challenging AI
- fixed the exceptions, which were triggered based on a faulty trigger
- added a special action to reset the PRC to neutral if they fire on your weapons. If you fire on them, they will fire back tho. No reset for them.
- changed the russian word for ruby
- fixed the ELINT NK assets to be more useful (hopefully)
- tweaks to some triggers for side posture

V.9
- Added new multiple triggers/actions that make gameplay even more challenging
- Modified OOB of Russian Naval Aviation regiments and removed VVS assets (aside from Su-30's), More Su-33's
- Spetznaz mission now includes a laser designator recon section (helps with strike a/c)
- Slimmed down Russian Order of Battle to better reflect what would be in the Far East
- PRC ROE slightly changed and NO more NK ASW a/c, now all PRC
- All events/triggers/actions work and have been tested thoroughly.
- All magazines, weapon loadouts tested and refined
- Error and event handling now refined and better for AI
- UI for Russian player cleaned up with boundary markers

V.8
- Convoy now is created upon final offload (making it harder to kill before)
- Changed the Russian OOB slightly, removed some Tu-142's, Tu-22's and older Mig-31's, didn't add much to scenario
- Changed the OOB of the fighter wing to more Naval Su-33's, which is more in line with this theater
- Added some more markers for 7 mile airspace exclusion zone for DPRK
- Added a early warning radar to Russian Far east force, help with possible launch
- modified some triggers and events that worked, but now work a bit better.

V.7
- Fixed font problems with some systems not having the OCR font I used for messages, changed to Courier New
- Added a brief intro to help clarify mission
- Changed One Lada Class sub to an improved Kilo, to be more in line with RU OOB

V.6
- Fixed ONE major bug with Nuclear Launch, would result in no launch if certain events happen
- Fixed a NOT posture setting for a series of scoring items.

V.5
- Finally have all postures fixed (The way friendly to friendly vs. neutral to friendly works is tricky and I think now fixed)
- PRC SAG will remain neutral even if NK is engaged (bug from V.4)
- Fixed some message triggers that didn't fire as designed
- Worked on clarifying the DPRK airspace limits (by use of reference pts)
- Moved LZ to a more doable location for recon element (can choose different ways to get unit in)

V.4
- Fixed a neutral trigger snafu
- Modified some exclusion zone triggers
- Changed timing of missions (to better challenge the player)
- Fixed posture settings for some messages

V.3
- Fixed Jamming mission for NK
- Tweaked a few EMCON settings for PRC/NK

V.2
- Fixed Two Trigger Messages
- Spell checked one message I didn't check
- Set some different time entry for PRC Assets

Attachments
Ruby Slipp..2016-v10.zip
(327.64 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Coiler12

RE: Ruby Slipper, 2016 (Based on Red Phoenix Rising)

Post by Coiler12 »

Not bad. Just one bit of curiosity I have-did you play the Fei Lian scenario in the community pack and see it as an influence?

(Might be a coincidence, but they're thematically similar-country that isn't the US or south launching an attack to take out NK's nuclear weapons before it's too late.)
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

No, I haven't played that scenario, but I hope this is different and not a me-too to that scenario.

Please let me know how it play tho, I'm curious how you feel it may be similar.
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

Made a few changes to scenario.. Please let me know what you think.. Again, worked pretty hard on this with very complex lua logic and AI that hopefully fights back with some curve balls.
lamboman43

Post by lamboman43 »

I haven't played it enough to give a review but I think it is sufficiently different from the Fei Lan scenario. It is undoubtedly similar but I think the differences are large enough for this scenario to exist. Then again, I really like Korean Peninsula scenarios. Either way, I'm enjoying it [:)]
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

Thanks!..

In all sincerity, I really didn't use Fei Lan as inspiration. My inspiration was the book "Red Phoenix Rising" and switching the sides so that the Russians were tasked with taking down Kim's nukes, as opposed to US/or ROK forces..

On a personal note, I wanted to explore Russian TO&E and their capabilities and limits, since we have a ton of US Focused scenarios. I felt it might be interesting to try to make one around a fight with Russian, PRC and DPRK forces.. but, with some twists. I also wanted to make an "in-depth" scenario with plenty of challenges and turns.. so that the player would be focused for the entire battle.
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

Version 4 up, this should be near to final.. would love to hear some feedback.
Raptorx7_slith

Post by Raptorx7_slith »

Having a blast with this mission WQC really enjoying knocking out SAM's with the KA-52's and inserting the Spetsnaz team!

wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

Version 5 up.. finally have postures fixed I believe.. the PRC would fire on RU assets, due to friendly posture to NK. This is fixed now and the PRC will remain neutral as long as you don't blow them up, which you can, but the PRC has some bite.
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

OK Folks, PLEASE test this one, Version 6 is FINAL.

It has all the correct AI logic and postures.

Oddly, when I started toying with conditions/posture logic after rev.2, I really screwed things up, but I've finally fixed them now. This should be all set to go and ready.

Love to hear people's feedback on this scenario.
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

I haven't played this yet, but don't you mean based on Larry Bond's Red Phoenix Burning? There is no Bond novel titled Red Phoenix Rising, and the first one is just called Red Phoenix
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

Duh. Thanks man
stolypin

Post by stolypin »

I spent my entire day off playing this scenario.

Excellent work.
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

Thanks for the high praise. Glad you enjoyed it.
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

Made some changes to help with some systems not having an OCR font I used for messages, so the formats should all work now. Also, added a brief intro to help new players. Also, changed out a lada class sub for a Kilo, which is more in line with Russian OOB.

Please let me know what you think...

Will
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

version 8 up.
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

Ok, Version 9 up and it's new and improved.. with very very through testing conducted. Has a much better and more challenging OOB and should be a fun ride, please let me know your thoughts.
Aivlis

Post by Aivlis »

I've been playing through this in editor mode and found it very enjoyable so far. A couple of things that have come to my mind are:

- The PRC forces are firing on Russian guided weapons, which I assume is WAD, but this causes the player's units to set the PRC hostile automatically because of how postures work and because they think they are being fired upon as well. However, the PRC won't treat the player as hostile until it's fired back on, which leaves a gap for the player to manually abort any retaliation and just play China's game: the PLAN fires on your guided munitions, but leaves your A/C alone, which may be an acceptable trade. If you consider this mechanic to be valid, it would be nice to have a Special Action to reset the PRC to Neutral or Hostile at will, as to my knowledge one can't normally do that if not playing in Editor Mode.

- The NK airforce has trouble IDing the player's A/C, so much so that I could often bait them out to sea while they tried to get a visual, or perform recon with an Su-24 well within their SAM bubble just because they weren't positive it was mine. In reality, I'd expect them to be much more trigger-happy once the hostilities start. Maybe give them an enlarged exclusion zone so that any unidentified A/C coming in from the Russian bases is treated as hostile? You can probably let the NK have AutoSideID on if they need the IFF.

- The NK ELINT mission is... cheeky, to say the least. Did you maybe intend to make that aircraft fly under the PRC? As of now I ID'd and splashed both of those Tupolevs before they could climb to their stations, as they are huge and fly right at where a player would have their CAP.

- The PRC SAG despawning was somewhat jarring, but I guess you had your reasons not to let it sit near the coast for the rest of the mission. Since I was playing this without starting a war with the Chinese, and just steering clear of their SAG, its disappearance made things much easier.

- I kept getting a .NET exception in Lua code after some events fired, nothing major, just the report in the log. Forgot to write down which one, I'll try to get back to you on this.

- If you meant to use ruby as an adjective in the scenario title, the Russian word would be рубиновый. Pубин is the noun.

Thanks for the scenario, it's indeed quite interesting to see the Best Korea Scenario from an unusual perspective.
wqc12345

Post by wqc12345 »

ORIGINAL: Aivlis

I've been playing through this in editor mode and found it very enjoyable so far. A couple of things that have come to my mind are:

- The PRC forces are firing on Russian guided weapons, which I assume is WAD, but this causes the player's units to set the PRC hostile automatically because of how postures work and because they think they are being fired upon as well. However, the PRC won't treat the player as hostile until it's fired back on, which leaves a gap for the player to manually abort any retaliation and just play China's game: the PLAN fires on your guided munitions, but leaves your A/C alone, which may be an acceptable trade. If you consider this mechanic to be valid, it would be nice to have a Special Action to reset the PRC to Neutral or Hostile at will, as to my knowledge one can't normally do that if not playing in Editor Mode.

I had a hard time coding this out. I actually did set the trigger back to neutral for the PRC forces, if you look at the event actions, but this didn't fix the problem at times. I was worried this might be a bug, but I hoped that the player would do what the orders said, stay away from the SAG. I can try the special action route, and see if that works, because you're right, I don't think it should mark the RU forces hostile if they are shooting down missiles destined for NK assets.
- The NK airforce has trouble IDing the player's A/C, so much so that I could often bait them out to sea while they tried to get a visual, or perform recon with an Su-24 well within their SAM bubble just because they weren't positive it was mine. In reality, I'd expect them to be much more trigger-happy once the hostilities start. Maybe give them an enlarged exclusion zone so that any unidentified A/C coming in from the Russian bases is treated as hostile? You can probably let the NK have AutoSideID on if they need the IFF.

This I can fix. Thanks for the change and it's easily handled.
- The NK ELINT mission is... cheeky, to say the least. Did you maybe intend to make that aircraft fly under the PRC? As of now I ID'd and splashed both of those Tupolevs before they could climb to their stations, as they are huge and fly right at where a player would have their CAP.

Yea, I left them there as a way for the NK to get some early learning, but it really doesn't help them and they are cannon fodder.
- The PRC SAG despawning was somewhat jarring, but I guess you had your reasons not to let it sit near the coast for the rest of the mission. Since I was playing this without starting a war with the Chinese, and just steering clear of their SAG, its disappearance made things much easier.

They aren't despawning, they are docking and you're 100% right. It rewards the player for not blowing up the SAG, but even if they do shoot at the SAG, they will still dock and offload their stuff to trigger the convoy to Tonghae. I felt it was cleaner to the player and in line with what happens when a SAG enters a port, they dock. If you look at the boats in Puam-Dong, they are all there.
- I kept getting a .NET exception in Lua code after some events fired, nothing major, just the report in the log. Forgot to write down which one, I'll try to get back to you on this.

This would be helpful if you could let me know.
- If you meant to use ruby as an adjective in the scenario title, the Russian word would be рубиновый. Pубин is the noun.

Thanks!
Thanks for the scenario, it's indeed quite interesting to see the Best Korea Scenario from an unusual perspective.

You're welcome, I appreciate the feedback. I worked a long time on it and I hoped others liked it, as much as I enjoyed making it.
Aivlis

Post by Aivlis »

This is the error message I have been seeing in the logs; it shows up upon the death of any North Korean fighter.
01/07/2016 23:06:20: Event: 'NK A/C Destroyed RU Hostile (Ongoing)' has been fired.

01/07/2016 23:06:20: Lua script execution error: A .NET exception occured in user-code

01/07/2016 23:06:20: Event: 'NK A/C Destroyed RU NOT Hostile (Ongoing)' was triggered but did NOT fire (at least one condition failed).

EDIT: Regarding the PRC posture, yeah, the PRC keeps RU as neutral even while firing at RU weapons, but the game auto-marks the PRC hostile toward the player, making RU units fire back on the PRC. That's working, it's the fact you can't reset the entire PRC to neutral for your units what's bothering me. Apologies if I didn't get it across the first time.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”