OT- Brain strain

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jim D Burns

OT- Brain strain

Post by Jim D Burns »

Might just be getting old, but as far as I can tell the trick with the bar of squares (white chocolate bar I think) at 3:25 isn't a gimmick. Question is what's going on here, you can't remove part of the volume and still have a bar left with the same dimensions/volume.

Any mathematicians here that can explain how this is possible. Or perhaps it is a video trick or an optical illusion and I'm just not getting it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1LBVfKZDcs

Jim
Qwixt

RE: OT- Brain strain

Post by Qwixt »

The row with the cut is shorter in height after the move. If you look at the diagram where it shows A and B swapping, then you can see the angle of decent, and how much shorter it will be afterward. That's why the guy moves the big piece up and out of the way, and does not simply slide it down, because it would be very apparent that it got shorter and the blocks are not the same size.
Jim D Burns

RE: OT- Brain strain

Post by Jim D Burns »

Yep thanks Qwixt, I see it now. It was because he makes the first cut corner to corner across the row it tricks the mind into thinking the row is being split 50/50 as if he were cutting across a perfect square corner to corner. But as you said if you look at each individual square in the row the angle of decent across each square definitely is not 50/50.

Jim

Return to “General Discussion”