Red Storm Rising

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

TigerTC

Red Storm Rising

Post by TigerTC »

Has anyone designed any scenarios based on Red Storm Rising--such as the seizure of the bridgehead at Alfeld? It would of course need to be a very large scenario.
CapnDarwin

RE: Red Storm Rising

Post by CapnDarwin »

I don't think so. Have at it.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

The 1985 Scenarios I have been designing are along the lines of "Red Storm Rising" and "Team Yankee" in that I am assuming a build up and prepared scenario (Warsaw Pact at the Frontier and much of the NATO REFORGER air bridge/POMCUS reinforcements in play.). So while they are not RSR scenarios they should play similar. I'm working on one now using the Eiterfeld Map that will be a meatgrinder like the RSR Alfeld battle.
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

A novel I'm reading at the moment, Red Army, interestingly shows an element of the 3rd CAA skipping Hameln (Itself raided by a distraction air attack) and taking the bridge at Bad Oeynhausen rather than Rinteln to cross the Weser. In addition, the British are fought there, not the Germans.
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

I'm rereading the RSR novel myself IMHO, his best (with collaboration).

As to the RSR battles around Alsfeld, Beiben and the Hamlin area I had actually considered the suggestion above but the NATO force was a scratch force of four different (five?) nationalities. UK, American, FGR, Belgian (and Dutch?). Thus to model it in FP:RS one would need to construct a "NATO database" with the equipment type pretty much telling you which nationality they belonged too. It's doable just, as far as I know, without mixed nationalities. The counters would, I think, need to be generic backgrounds.

Al
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Stimpak

A novel I'm reading at the moment, Red Army, interestingly shows an element of the 3rd CAA skipping Hameln (Itself raided by a distraction air attack) and taking the bridge at Bad Oeynhausen rather than Rinteln to cross the Weser. In addition, the British are fought there, not the Germans.

I've read the book.

I took the locations of the main units at the time of the clash we created and then actually tracked them as I thought the battles may have developed. I used several different models to do that. Once I had a battle then I dropped it down to our level of execution and you get to fight them.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Beachinnole

Great minds! I'm rereading the novel myself IMHO, his best (with collaboration).

As to the battles around Alsfeld, Beiben and the Hamlin area I had actually considered the suggestion above but the NATO force was a scratch force of four different (five?) nationalities. UK, American, FGR, Belgian (and Dutch?). Thus to model it in FP:RS one would need to construct a "NATO database" with the equipment type pretty much telling you which nationality they belonged too. It's doable just, as far as I know, without mixed nationalities. The counters would, I think, need to be generic backgrounds.

Al

Welcome back Al. Hope you can stay awhile!!! [&o]

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
BeirutDude

Post by BeirutDude »

Gonna try, depending upon work and family! [:D]

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

The Plodder did a NATO troop thing for his Berlin map. NATO background with modified sil art and data. Check for that as a starting point.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com/201 ... print.html

Back in print ... In case anyone needs a copy.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”