US Olympic Trials

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zap

US Olympic Trials

Post by Zap »

This is the first time in many years I had time to watch the Olympic trials. The coverage takes in swimming, track and field, gymnastics, decathlon. I've been enjoying it immensely. Anyone else had a chance to follow.
wings7

RE: US Olympic Trials

Post by wings7 »

I haven't, but now I will check it out...thanks for the heads up! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Anyone else had a chance to follow.

The trials will probably be better than the Olympics themselves this year. If I was an Olympic athlete or my son/daughter...I would stay away from this one and train for the next one in Tokyo. Too dangerous both in personal safety as well as diseases and pollution. In addition it looks like the games sites probably will not be ready due to financial fiascos. Goes to show you cant have the Olympics in a third world country.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Orm

Post by Orm »

I do not care much for the term 'third world country' and it is, in my humble opinion, both obsolete and ambiguous.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: Orm

I do not care much for the term 'third world country' and it is, in my humble opinion, both obsolete and ambiguous.

I respect that Orm. However, the fact remains there are many problems with Brazil's hosting the Olympics. I hope for the safety of all who participate. Orm we will all hear about what the concerns as we follow the Olympic games. Other countries have struggled to put on the games. From reports Brazil is really struggling. Just can't help noticing because the problems are so glaring. My hope is Brazil can get their act together and they have to act quickly the Olympics are just around the corner.
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Zap

ORIGINAL: Orm

I respect that Orm. However, the fact remains there are many problems with Brazil's hosting the Olympics. I hope for the safety of all who participate. Orm we will all hear about what the concerns as we follow the Olympic games. Other countries have struggled to put on the games. From reports Brazil is really struggling. Just can't help noticing because the problems are so glaring. My hope is Brazil can get their act together and they have to act quickly the Olympics are just around the corner.
There are many concerns with the upcoming Olympic Games. No doubt about that. However, I doubt that there are many countries where there would not be at least something to be concerned about when hosting major sports events.

If you do not consider the term 'third world country' either obsolete or ambiguous then I suggest visit wiki and take a look at the term. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Sorry Orm, I didn't mean it in the way of Swedish inclusion. I know what the Cold War "third world" means, but since the end of the Cold War its come to mean lesser developed nations by a lot of people/institutions. Sweden definitely would not be included on that post Cold War list.

There has been a lot of "issues" concerning the Olympic Committee that have come to light, so sometimes I wonder how this or that country was awarded the next Olympics, etc.

Salt Lake City was having problems before they were corrected in time. I'm glad Chicago didn't win.

If any Latin American country could successfully pull off an Olympic event, I would say Chile would be the one...and its a decent, clean, and safe place to visit with something for everybody.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
Zap

Post by Zap »

I think you missed something. I said I respect your point. I really have no opinion on the terminology one way or the other. I was simply pointing out that the reporting from news sources are bringing out the struggles Brazil is having trying to make it happen. Several, of our athletes have declined participating, concerned about their safety(because of the polluted ocean) where some of the games events will take place.
The games will go on and I will be watching enthusiastically. Cheering on the US team.

I see no harm in commenting on News reports around those concerns. I understand, you want to focus in on the terminology but your focusing on the wrong person. I, have no issue how someone wants to describes a country. Please don't include me in because I'm not involved.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I think that the 'London Olympics' set a new standard for the games that will be tough to achieve again. But strive we must. And since it is to late to change the venue of the Olympics I think we should be making the best of the situation.

----

My objection of the term was not because it could include Sweden, or not. I just think that the world has advanced so much.

----

I think there are few countries, and cities, today that would make good hosts for the Olympic Games. Sweden certainly would not be able to host the games.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I think you missed something. I said I respect your point. I really have no opinion on the terminology one way or the other. I was simply pointing out that the reporting from news sources are bringing out the struggles Brazil is having trying to make it happen. Several, of our athletes have declined participating, concerned about their safety(because of the polluted ocean) where some of the games events will take place.
The games will go on and I will be watching enthusiastically. Cheering on the US team.

I see no harm in commenting on News reports around those concerns. I understand, you want to focus in on the terminology but your focusing on the wrong person. I, have no issue how someone wants to describes a country. Please don't include me in because I'm not involved.
I am sorry about that. [:(]

The first part of my post was in response your post so I quoted it.

The second part shouldn't have been included and it wasn't directed to anyone in particular.
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

I think there are few countries, and cities, today that would make good hosts for the Olympic Games. Sweden certainly would not be able to host the games.

I'll bet Tokyo will do an excellent job. There is a big difference between the Summer games and the Winter games...Sweden would probably put on a very good Winter Olympics I would guess.

The Olympics is a great opportunity for a city to show the rest of the world why they should come there for vacation, etc...Rio has given itself a black eye instead.

Here is just one example:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/05/americas/ ... index.html
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Always wondered what the 2nd world Countries were?
Favoritism is alive and well here.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Here is a map (mid '75) showing the original meaning of the different "worlds". I think you can figure out which is what from the colours.

Attachments
Cold_War_a..1975_svg.jpg
Cold_War_a..1975_svg.jpg (51.18 KiB) Viewed 74 times
Orm

Post by Orm »

I think I would watch some of the US Olympic Trials if I had easy access to watching it. Competitive, high quality sports with lots of drama. What is not to like. [:)]
Zap

Post by Zap »

Sweden Television does not cover Swedish Olympic trails? Does Sweden have a summer Olympics team? If so, do you compete in all the track/field and swimming events.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Sweden Television does not cover Swedish Olympic trails? Does Sweden have a summer Olympics team? If so, do you compete in all the track/field and swimming events.
Sweden does not have any Olympic trial. The Olympic committee decides on who goes or not. In the different events they set a qualifying time or something similar. And if, in one of the competitions before the Olympic games, the athlete is faster than that time then he gets qualified to go. The committee might, from time to time, decide to send a athlete who has not produced the result needed during the season if they suspect he, or she, will do better during the games.

Return to “General Discussion”