Tale of the Sheep! - JocMeister (A) vs. Lowpe (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Mike McCreery

RE: Invasion West Coast!

Post by Mike McCreery »

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Why land full divisions on the dot bases with so much Japanese stuff elsewhere?
It does seem an inefficient use of shipping, but it will certainly discourage any counter-invasions. Seeing how little the Allies have elsewhere, their entire naval power must be in the theater. Might as well use it when you know the Japanese are elsewhere, and won't be coming anytime soon.

I kind of wish Jocke would have been slightly more aggressive and used regiments for the lesser targets then followed up with an invasion of Moulmein using the freed up divisions. Control of Moulmein allows the isolation of Burma, and Moulmein is an excellent defensive position.

If he had had a crystal ball on the condition of the defenses I am sure he would have attended to it :]
Andav

Post by Andav »

I kind of wish Jocke would have been slightly more aggressive ...
This is just the 1st part with lower quality troops. The 2nd part (Pencil II) will follow.

No. 2 Pencil is coming. I think we need to wait to see where he goes!

Wa

JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: poodlebrain

It does seem an inefficient use of shipping, but it will certainly discourage any counter-invasions. Seeing how little the Allies have elsewhere, their entire naval power must be in the theater. Might as well use it when you know the Japanese are elsewhere, and won't be coming anytime soon.

I kind of wish Jocke would have been slightly more aggressive and used regiments for the lesser targets then followed up with an invasion of Moulmein using the freed up divisions. Control of Moulmein allows the isolation of Burma, and Moulmein is an excellent defensive position.

No need to worry. I´m 100% sure Pencil II will make you happy! [:D]

Oh, and I don´t have most of the naval power here. I have about half of it. The rest is busy with Paper and Paperclip! [;)]
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

So let me get this straight - if the Japs take LA, then all the aircraft factories there go "poof" and the Allies are no longer able to produce those aircraft?

That, to me, is a game engine error that should be fixed... because think about it - if the base is taken before these factories come on-line (or even if they are "online) - the US wouldn't build the airplane factories elsewhere?
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

So let me get this straight - if the Japs take LA, then all the aircraft factories there go "poof" and the Allies are no longer able to produce those aircraft?

That, to me, is a game engine error that should be fixed... because think about it - if the base is taken before these factories come on-line (or even if they are "online) - the US wouldn't build the airplane factories elsewhere?

Yepp, that´s it. Once the allies recapture it they will revert to vehicle factories or something like that. I think the same is true for Japanese aircraft factories?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

They go poof. Fixing that is not really in the scope of any revisions to the game code, because such a fix would be immense.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

Yepp, that´s it. Once the allies recapture it they will revert to vehicle factories or something like that. I think the same is true for Japanese aircraft factories?

Sorry, let my rephrase my just-posted "yes they go poof." In actuality, I think what happens is they convert to vehicle factories for Japan. When the Allies take said factories, they just disappear because the Allies have no use for vehicle factories.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I,m actually just going to land 1/3rd of divisions at everything beside PB and LA. Only 1 BDE will land at Great Nicobar.

Ah, I see. From your screenshot I thought you were landing full divisions. I don't care about the risk of counter-invasion (gonna be impossible - see CONUS), I was mostly saying that I wouldn't land full divisions there because a lot of those islands have a port SPS of 0, meaning it would take you forever to load them back up later.
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Well that's kind of silly. In my opinion.

Hey - in two years, we are going to build P51's at LA. But darn, we can't make ANY P-51's because LA was taken and we have no other place in the entire USA to build a factory 2 years from now that can produce P'51's.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Hey - in two years, we are going to build P51's at LA. But darn, we can't make ANY P-51's because LA was taken and we have no other place in the entire USA to build a factory 2 years from now that can produce P'51's.
This is a tad closer to Lego Land than to reality. [:D]
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]Airlosses Day 8[/font]

I´m sure Jeff isn´t too happy about this.

Also take not that the P40Ks did most of the heavy work arriving before the P47s. They still did very well sweeping into a big CAP. I think about 2:1 in their favor. [:)]

Attachments
Invasion24.jpg
Invasion24.jpg (315.9 KiB) Viewed 85 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]LA[/font]

Here are the troops after the attack. Not too bad. 3rd Marines will be allowed to rest for a turn or two.

Attachments
Invasion25.jpg
Invasion25.jpg (361.21 KiB) Viewed 85 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]Sweepers[/font]

P47s are good for another round. P40s will be rotated out and replaced by Corsairs and a bunch of new P40s and some P39s.

Only 3 KIA and 8 MIA pilots from the last sweeps. Good!

Attachments
Invasion26.jpg
Invasion26.jpg (310.44 KiB) Viewed 85 times
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

[font="Verdana"]Pencil[/font]

Still unopposed. Will he try something?

Attachments
Invasion27.jpg
Invasion27.jpg (206.97 KiB) Viewed 85 times
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

[font="Verdana"]Airlosses Day 8[/font]

I´m sure Jeff isn´t too happy about this.

Also take not that the P40Ks did most of the heavy work arriving before the P47s. They still did very well sweeping into a big CAP. I think about 2:1 in their favor. [:)]

I wonder if operating close to their Air HQ(s) is/are helping your fighters with the air battle. Is it/are they in range?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Air HQs don't affect the actual results of an aerial battle, to my knowledge.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

The P-51 began development in 1940, at least. If the factories were to be captured by an enemy, they would be trashed, yes? Rather than let the enemy get their aircraft factories back in working condition.

Now, yes - repairs could be effected or the factories rebuilt from nothing, but there is nothing in the game to allow for building a new factory. To do so would have been rather complex (so many parameters: do you allow new factories to be built at any time? only destroyed factories? is there a time limit [e.g. have to be destroyed in 1943 or earlier because rebuilding just takes so long]? etc.) and for special cases like this only, so the game as it is written is really the best abstraction of the real world as they could get.

On top of that, rebuilding infrastructure is a very intense process. Aircraft development facilities are not just a building and plans on some pieces of paper. There are all kinds of tools and machine shops and such, and if those are blown up, you've got to remake those first before you can get back to the business of designing/building/testing planes.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Turn away.

Tense one. [X(]

Started a little bit of everything here and there. Perhaps I can rattle Jeff a bit. Also set some ground attacks on his troops at LA. Lets see if I can force him to set up LRCAP which I can nibble at.
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

Very nice - he doesn't have unlimited aircraft to play with....this is going to be very, very bad.
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

The P-51 began development in 1940, at least. If the factories were to be captured by an enemy, they would be trashed, yes? Rather than let the enemy get their aircraft factories back in working condition.

Now, yes - repairs could be effected or the factories rebuilt from nothing, but there is nothing in the game to allow for building a new factory. To do so would have been rather complex (so many parameters: do you allow new factories to be built at any time? only destroyed factories? is there a time limit [e.g. have to be destroyed in 1943 or earlier because rebuilding just takes so long]? etc.) and for special cases like this only, so the game as it is written is really the best abstraction of the real world as they could get.

On top of that, rebuilding infrastructure is a very intense process. Aircraft development facilities are not just a building and plans on some pieces of paper. There are all kinds of tools and machine shops and such, and if those are blown up, you've got to remake those first before you can get back to the business of designing/building/testing planes.

Yes, but you are talking about an economic engine that was so flush with surpluses that it was able to expend a billion dollars worth of coin in just producing the atomic bomb. If the Russians were able to do it under the pressure they were under I am pretty sure the US could have figured out a way. Course, if you look at it from the Atomic bomb POV, then perhaps all those mustangs would have become redundant come 1946 or 47. I know that AE is playing in a fantasy world as it is but I don't think that even the loss of the whole West Coast would have prevented the US from eventually burying Japan.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “After Action Reports”