Huh?

Based on Slitherine’s popular tabletop wargaming system by the same name, Field of Glory now comes to the PC in a faithful adaptation of this acclaimed miniatures wargame! Without the calculations and measurements required for a tabletop game of Field of Glory, the PC version accurately represents Ancient and Medieval combat where you make the important and fun decisions on the battlefield. This forum also supports the Rise of Rome, Storm of Arrows and Immortal Fire expansions to Field of Glory.
76mm

Huh?

Post by 76mm »

OK, I see there is some kind of new version of FoG out...but I can't find any detailed info about what is different, or any screenshots. All of the stickied threads have very general info... Has the random result generator (ie, combat engine) been revised since the initial version? Have graphics been updated at all?
TDefender

RE: Huh?

Post by TDefender »

The new engine would probably bring new potential to the game, according to the devs. At the moment, I personally would say that graphically the new version seems slightly worse and I miss some features from the latest version (no terrain info, no unit image on the bottom panel etc) I also don't understand the reason for the new expandable option panel... just personal taste anyway.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

Sort of agree, although it is quite some time since I played the original this new version does seem to be a bit of a step back in terms of graphics and UI.

Edit - Just found this reply from the devs on the Slitherine forum (seems to be the active forum for this game)

3) there's no over-terrain info atm. I will add the terrain info text in the Mouse Over Battlegroup info panel area for the next build. the common/steep hills are using different hex tile graphics, so you should be able to distinguish between them.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Also, if we bought packs x, y & z for the original game, do we get the same ones with this new version?
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Hi, all the answers for your questions are here:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=72879

Zap

Post by Zap »

I have to say. There is a place here why send us to Slitherin site. I suspect its a long range plan to slowly push everything over to Slitherine site. I want to find out about the enhancements but I have to go over there?
Zap

Post by Zap »

So I go over to the site. And Frankly, the post are few and they don't focus on what the posters here focused on. Which, seem to be more pertinent observations. Without trying to be disrespectful. I don't like the site.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: Zap

So I go over to the site. And Frankly, the post are few and they don't focus on what the posters here focused on. Which, seem to be more pertinent observations. Without trying to be disrespectful. I don't like the site.

I meant answers to questions on how to grab the Unity version, sorry!

Field of Glory was originally released as a Slitherine game, and that is where its community has formed, so it made sense to host basic game information over there. We have shared the relevant links in the general FAQ thread stickied here at Matrix.

IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

The two sites are in the process of slowly merging. Slitherine has not moved to the shopping cart and layout of Matrix. All new games are either discussed on Slitherine or on Matrix so we don't fragment between the two any more. FoG released before we did this so has 2 forums but most discussion is on Slitherine and ideally we'd have it all there. Games like War in the East clearly sit on matrix and Panzer Corps sits on Slitherine. Basically we'd prefer one forum where the main discussions are already occuring - it is not some conspiracy to try and move people across just make it more efficient and more lively :)

Usernames and passwords are shared and ultimately we'd like a unified forum but that's slightly more difficult.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Zap

Post by Zap »

Just to be clear I said nothing about conspiracy.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Tamas
Hi, all the answers for your questions are here:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=72879
Actually, no that doesn't answer any of my questions posed in this thread, and I'd already seen those FAQs on this site.

I mean, a grand total of 7 FAQs, wow, you're really covering all the topics there [8|]

I enjoyed this game quite a bit before losing interest, but before installing anything on my computer I'd like to know more information: what upgrades/changes from the original game, what do the graphics look like, and what scenarios do I get? Could you answer those questions on your FAQ??

If your launching a game, launch it, don't just put in a new link with no useful info on the Matrix site...
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

In the end of that forum thread, you can look for more information from the developer of the new engine:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 79#p613910

towerbooks3192

Post by towerbooks3192 »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

In the end of that forum thread, you can look for more information from the developer of the new engine:

Wait, I don't get the link. Which is in the current build and which is still WIP? I am confused since it is dated last month.
et ignobiles oblivio
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Thanks, that's kind of helpful, especially the new features list; you'd think they'd add basic stuff like this to the FAQ list.

But I have to say that the list of new features doesn't particularly appeal to me. Also, why do a couple people in this thread say that the GUI and graphics are a bit worse? The original graphics were OK, not great, and I'm not sure I'd be up for a step backwards. Are there really no screen shots available? If so, that's got to be a first for a new game!
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hey 76mm, been a long time!

I have not d/l the new version yet but it looks like the same as the very long closed and then open beta.

People sat the graphics are worse, well because they basically appear to be...
The developer explained its because the new engine is able to zoom in and out much greater than the old... I found in the beta it was very hard to find a sweet spot for the best resolution of the graphics, where in the orignal FOG, eveything looked quite crisp regardless of the zoom...
The UI is really a taste thing but noticably absent are the mouse over of units and terrain and the info and UNIT pics etc one would get. These are abent but possibly to be added lter in a patch.

Overall, the info presented feels more like raw data vs the more stylized ( and pleasing to the eye) of the old) Almost DOS like.
This is my completely subj opinion and to be honest, if the original game was like this , I probably woouldnt think it a big deal...

Basically, on it own would anyone complain? Perhaps not but, as a comparison to the orginal, it gives the feel of being less polished...

I cant comment on the gameplay nor how closely combat is resolution is to the original in the release as I havent tried it yet.

For me, the biggest sell is the new editor and ability to do things the original could not, however, we wont be able to sample any of that until thios items are , hopefully, added...
l
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Hey Mouser, thanks for the comments, it's indeed been a long time. I've actually been hankering for some ancients action but really don't want to go back to FoG unless there have been some game play improvements.

I guess I'll keep an eye on things on the Slitherine forum, I haven't spent much time there since playing FoG some years ago. I've installed so many games over the years that I don't end up playing, so I tend to be pretty selective about what I install these days.

I've heard good things about the Pike & Shot engine but am not interested in that period so have been waiting/hoping that they'd bring out an ancients game with that engine.
TheGrayMouser

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Overall the new FOG engine should have some nice addons, but Im not sure if they are yet functional. This would include hotseat for DAG armies, the ablity to select a saved army for the AI to use in a DAg battle ( human vs Ai) which would be great as the AI never chose its armies very well, and there are tons of new custom maps. Again, some of thses things appeared to work during the beta but not sure if they are all fully functional in the new game yet.
The basic gameplay will be the same though. I'm sure we will find out soon enough if the AI is the same better or worse...

Pike and Shot is an amazing game, but if you dont like the era... Its very moddable and although noone has done an ancients mod yet there is a nice War of the Roses one out there.

Cheers man!

VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

@76mm

Please check the screenshots Old vs New:
tm.asp?m=4113862&mpage=1&key=&#4113877

More screenshots of the new version:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/378 ... d.of.Glory

ORIGINAL: towerbooks3192

Wait, I don't get the link. Which is in the current build and which is still WIP? I am confused since it is dated last month.
Current build is v2.5.02.1042
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

I've just tried the new version of the game. I much preferred the graphics and UI of the original. I've uninstalled the new version already. I might give the new version another try in the future.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
76mm

Post by 76mm »

@VPaulus

Thanks for the links to screenshots, those are really helpful. Actually, I don't think that the map and unit graphics are worse than the old version. The GUI in general (menus, etc.) are different and in my opinion a bit worse, but not the end of the world and probably pretty easily fixed (change color scheme, etc.).

But the main thing for me will be game play changes; I'll keep an eye on the Slitherine forum to see what people think.

Return to “Field of Glory Series”