Islands of Destiny: RA 5.0 Japanese Side

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

RE: Game Review

Post by John 3rd »

Right on Mr. Sutton. If we had at least exchanged an equal amount of CVs in that fight it might be a bit of a different story. The one-sidedness of that fight enables him to do what he is presently.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Appreciate the comments on aircraft losses as well. Glad another is in line what what I have had occur in that arena...

Bearcat2

Post by Bearcat2 »

Good news, if you are producing all your aircraft, you are getting over 2000/month to his 1500/month.
"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Got to build up those Kamikaze stockpiles!

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

How often does a leak search yield its answer within 30 minutes of time? It is NOT a pipe--thank goodness--but a leak in the drain pan of the shower stall. What a relief. OK. We're headed to Home Depot to get a BETTER form of caulk/sealant, spackle for the hole I just made in the drywall, and some odds and ends.

When YOU are doing home repair how many times does it go without hardly an issue? I have a 100 Year-Old house and my answer is RARELY!

Mike McCreery

Post by Mike McCreery »

I rate a job by the number of trips I have to make to home depot.

Just put up a 12x12 shed in the back yard and am working on the front doors.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

I rate a job by the number of trips I have to make to home depot.
I like to use the local hardware store, well, because I am an idiot. I'm not necessarily "un-handy" but I don't know anything. The guys at the hardware store know I am an idiot. I show up with what ever is broken in my hand, they get what I need, explain the process in small words loudly and kindly and off I go. Anyway, it's always good to support the local business and the hardware store will save your ass more than once. Be kind to them.
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

So far, today, it's taken me 3 hours to remove 1 rear brake drum. Then 2 more house to replace the brake shoes, re-install, and bleed the line. now I have to adjust it. Yup, another trip to autozone to get a brake spoon. Sigh. Typical. The other side will go much quicker. on Monday lol.
pws1225

Post by pws1225 »

Today, I simply sat on my arse, flipped a couple of turns, watched Germany defeat Italy in futbol, and had a couple (sort of) beers. [:'(]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Got to Home Depot and back without issue. Ripped all the old caulk out and ran fans on it to dry. Paula is currently re-sealing the shower stall. We'll do TWO coats and then we got a spray sealant from Home Depot to add another layer. Will see if that fixes the problem. I do know that I am not replacing the piece of drywall I took out until we are FOR SURE OK!

Plan to detail the turn just played in the next Post. Have a PLAN that requires me to re-run the turn so I can start all over with orders for the next turn. Had an idea form from my conversation with Michael that requires going back through and making sure everything is good and done RIGHT!

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: pws1225

Today, I simply sat on my arse, flipped a couple of turns, watched Germany defeat Italy in futbol, and had a couple (sort of) beers. [:'(]

That is a ROUGH day. Better pour yourself something more substantial then beer and rest a bit.

We're going to have dinner and watch Chris Pine's Finest Hours movie about the Coast Guard. LIKE our new Captain Kirk a BUNCH!

Did anyone hear that we are getting a new Star Trek TV Series next year? Cannot wait! My family is all ready to geek out...

njp72

RE: The Cruel Sea

Post by njp72 »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

In my game, after I lost half of the KB...the Allies were in Hokkaido within 2 months with a 1000 ship (seemingly) armada.

Allies can simply pack up so, so much and land them wherever, and your land base air will impale itself against a good opponent. Normally you might get a few CVEs...but he has a hundred of them.

The land losses you inflicted on the Allies is very impressive, considering China still exists.[:)] But I doubt it will buy you any more time. The Allies simply have so much.

But, my advice would be to mirror Obvert's...with the addition of really cranking out the fighter planes and engines for them.

But heck, you have defied conventional wisdom in the past...can you invade Ceylon or India again?

I am playing catch up here but I would strongly endorse Obvert's and Lowpe's comments and advice.

You are never really going to win any set piece engagement from 44 onwards but the whole concept of ops needs to be built around attriting the Allies, making them bleed and not being decisively engaged with key assets you can ill afford to lose.

You have done a good job on his ships and ground forces but nothing that will really slow him down.

I think destroying and damaging BBs in some ways hurts an Allied player more than damage to his CVs. The BB bombardments on so many occasions can ruin a viable defence, shatter airfields and aircraft and disrupt the defenders.

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

How often does a leak search yield its answer within 30 minutes of time? It is NOT a pipe--thank goodness--but a leak in the drain pan of the shower stall. What a relief. OK. We're headed to Home Depot to get a BETTER form of caulk/sealant, spackle for the hole I just made in the drywall, and some odds and ends.

When YOU are doing home repair how many times does it go without hardly an issue? I have a 100 Year-Old house and my answer is RARELY!

Yep, I have an old house too. Anytime I touch a pipe it just means something else will break in the process.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Termite2

Good news, if you are producing all your aircraft, you are getting over 2000/month to his 1500/month.

Yes, but see my earlier posts. Aircraft numbers are deceiving. The Allies are at a point where they can just about always win air superiority at the point of attack. 2,000 more aircraft mean little if you can't build the bases fast enough to put them in. As the Allies get closer to Japan then finally the Japanese get to operate out of good fields. But not in the perimeter.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

One more question... how good are your fighter pilots, and what is the loss ratio in fighters only? That should give you an idea of how defensive you need to be.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
John 3rd

Game Review

Post by John 3rd »

My Naval Fighter pilots on the Frontline and on my CVs are fantastic--about 70-80 for skills. Once you get past that it is thin with the Naval pilots. Got LOTS training at the moment but a massed influx of capable pilots is 3-4 months away. Need to be reasonably careful with these.

The biggest turn around has been my Army Fighter pilots. We were in pretty poor shape during the after the massive combat in Burma, Malaya, and Sumatra. With 4-6 months of time since then my Army pilots are looking pretty nasty. They are not elite like the navy but they are solid--say high-60s and low-70s--and there are LOTS of them. Many have transitioned over the Frank say they are solid a top quality machine.

John 3rd

Picking

Post by John 3rd »

November 17, 1943

The game is rolling again. I have adopted a 'pick at the edges philosophy now. Dan is spread out and his CV CAP has been stretched. I would say somewhat pruned back since he has now lost about 100 Fighters over the last 2-3 turns. My Franks and Georges really blooded his nose over Ternate on the 15th (shot down 70+ planes).

Am flying at limited ranges from Ternate, Kendari, Ambon, Babeldoap, Peleliu, and Koepang.

16th (Prior to stopping the game)
I-36 SANK President Jackson with a 2nd and then 3rd TT hit.
I-183 MISSED CV Yorktown--DAMN!

Jills from Ternate hit a convoy of AKs carrying fuel and smacked SIX of them with 1-2 TT hits. Most of those ships sank.

17th (After stopping the game and getting time to work through the map)
I-180 MISSED CV Saratoga

A small STF of 1 DD and 3 E hit Morotai and sank an AK.

Strikes from various bases hit and sank DD Jenkins, 2 AP, an AK, and 2 LST.

MISSED Two shots at CVs. DRAT! There are 14-18 SS operating in among the Allied TFs presently. Dan has got to know I will hit something valuable SOON!

Attachments
NG1116.jpg
NG1116.jpg (360.38 KiB) Viewed 41 times

John 3rd

Picking Away

Post by John 3rd »

November 18, 1943

We have another day of picking away at the Allies.

Lose Ro-64 at Sorong.

From Tagula and Milne Bay Judys sink a pair of DDs. Down goes Relentless and Roebuck.

Two LSTs are sunk.

His recon spots my move of the KB towards his new bases and, as hoped, Dan goes turtle with a bunch of ships disbanding them into Ports. Next turn will see bombers hitting those Ports. Ain't no AF there and his Fleet is moving SE towards Dobo and Saumlaki.

After a period of nearly six months of nothing his LBA comes alive on the 17th and 18th hitting Port Moresby and Horn Island. My Franks chew up his B-24 pretty good on the second day of attacks at PM.

An educated guess is that dan is working to open a string of bases that are close enough to Australia to build an Air Bridge. To do that he will need Horn (built up nicely with 225 AV Sz-6 Forts), Gove *Sz-5 Forts AV 75 and climbing) or Maruake (Forts-6, AV 202) so MAYBE he'll actually land somewhere that he shall have to fight to take.

HAPPY 4th Readers!

Attachments
NG1117.jpg
NG1117.jpg (392.85 KiB) Viewed 41 times

John 3rd

Stoppage

Post by John 3rd »

Sorry about no Posts for a couple of days. I had another Uncle die (my Mom's eldest brother) so we are driving out to Phillipsburg, KS Wed-Thur-Fri. NOT fun but will be good to see the family.

Should get a turn in Friday night and then be back on track.

anarchyintheuk

RE: Stoppage

Post by anarchyintheuk »

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Return to “After Action Reports”