Learned an Important Lesson Today Regarding Nuclear Weapons Use

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

K 19

Learned an Important Lesson Today Regarding Nuclear Weapons Use

Post by K 19 »

Well, I think I learned an important lesson today regarding nuclear weapons use. My Soviet Alfa sub launched a 10kT Shkval nuclear torpedo at a NATO cruiser. Cruiser was of course incinerated. But my Alfa was unfortunately too close, and the massive shock wave from the blast destroyed my Alfa, too!

I love this 'game', but the realism can be scary. [8D]

Dysta

RE: Learned an Important Lesson Today Regarding Nuclear Weapons Use

Post by Dysta »

Nuke torps, especially Shkval, are the last resort to use with world-ending consequence.
Sakai007

Post by Sakai007 »

I am pretty sure I have deployed nuclear weapons fewer then ten times in something close to 4 yrs with Command. It's almost always been nuclear depth charges, a couple times it's been with ALCMs. I don't really like too, I think the concept of the moral implications of using nuclear weapons prevents me from really trying them out. I realize it's mad since obviously no humans will be harmed in the process, but my subconscious is like 'nope'.
When in Doubt, Charlie out!!
lamboman43

Post by lamboman43 »

I've always thought the idea of torpedo and depth charge nukes was weird. Usually you're close enough that it is a suicide mission and it feels like the result just doesn't justify the consequences. Especially since it SEEMS like there are enough conventional weapons to make it work. Then again I'm no nuclear or military strategist so I'm just talking out of my butt.

I, unlike Sakai, however, love using nukes. While I try to imagine the consequences if it actually happened IRL, i usually resort to my primitive love of big explosions.
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

That's what Oscar's SLASM barrage, and Akula's 8-torps massacre should do. It's arguable because even conventional, for subs is still pretty much suicidal against a fleet with substantial ASW capability.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook »

What scenario is this?
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

I love that movie.

Dano's actions kill everyone. Portier is great, too.
K 19

Post by K 19 »

ORIGINAL: Tailhook

What scenario is this?
It's called Alfa Wolf Pack, 1987.
K 19

Post by K 19 »

Question- Has anyone ever fired a Shkval nuclear torpedo and survived? I'm wondering if it's possible in the game to fire one from maximum range (like I did), and try to reverse course at flank speed to get out of the blast shock damage radius. Or is the Shkval actually a 'suicide weapon' in real life? [&:]
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Unfortunately it is, it's called the 'Silver Bullet' for a reason.

Once you launch it, you bring everything within the underwater shockwave.
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

Nuclear weapons and war are very frequently a part of the larger scen's I build, because I have so much life experiences around the real ones. As an AF brat I have frequently lived on or around SAC and GLCM bases. In my time in the Navy, nuclear weapons (never publicly talked about) were commonplace. So I usually build scenarios that gradually increase the danger of nuclear release. This is done by adding events into the game, typically through the use of destruction of assets. Destroying a plane launches heavier fighter patrols. Destroying a SAM or radar installation brings on SEAD/DEAD strikes. Destroying a ship will earn enormous ASuW alpha strikes. And destroying a civilian city will get you nuked. Perhaps it might begin with a tactical "counterforce" strike. But it doesn't take long before you get to that "nuclear wargasm" stage, where boomers and ICBM's are hurling MIRVs into orbit.
Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
AlGrant

Post by AlGrant »

Playing Northern Inferno Barents Sea Boomers I had issued an order for one of my subs (USS Whale) to engage a goblin and left her to it while it concentrated on another contact.
After little while later I send the Whale up above the layer to try get a better fix on the surf unit loitering around, as soon as she got to the shallower depth the AI automatically launched a nuclear Subroc at the Gobin.
That did the job and the Whale survived ....... so whilst I ordered the attack but the AI chose the nuc option!

GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
magi

Post by magi »

ORIGINAL: Sakai007

I am pretty sure I have deployed nuclear weapons fewer then ten times in something close to 4 yrs with Command. It's almost always been nuclear depth charges, a couple times it's been with ALCMs. I don't really like too, I think the concept of the moral implications of using nuclear weapons prevents me from really trying them out. I realize it's mad since obviously no humans will be harmed in the process, but my subconscious is like 'nope'.
i really understand this sentiment....
magi

Post by magi »

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

Reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOll3v55Dmo

B
well that was intewresting....
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Being formerly nuclear artillery qualified (now there is a bad idea if ever there was one), I'm definitely in the mindset of you are always too close.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

Nuclear fire planning - Scariest course I ever took! I tend not to use them - they still scare me, even in the game!!
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
NakedWeasel

Post by NakedWeasel »

It's typically a let down for me. I know that once nukes are getting tossed around, the scenario is likely going to end before long.
Though surrounded by a great number of enemies
View them as a single foe
And so fight on!
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

In testing nukes for fun, I am never "authorized" to target/fire them. What's the trick? Also, are there any SSM systems that will damage a modern airfield. I rather not test them all if there is a ready answer.

Thanks.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
MikeJ271

Post by MikeJ271 »

In answer to the question about whether it was possible to use it as anything other than a suicide weapon, I recently tried a Shkval in Alfa Wolf Pack (from the community pack) - A Bearing Only Launch to just about maximum range, with a turn-and-break manoeuvre resulted in two sunk ships and no damage to the sub. Whether that's realistic or not...

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”