Allied Air Force question(s)

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

bush

Allied Air Force question(s)

Post by bush »

1- Some squadrons that must be withdrawn are returned a few months later. If I do not strip these units of their pilots and place them in the reserve pool will the same pilots return when the squadron reappears?

2- Some squadrons will not show the option to add reserve aircraft to the squadron. Other than simple lack of a particular plane, this is caused by what? I have had a 3 x squadron group all at Calcutta. 2 of the 3 squadrons were permitted to draw reserves, one was not. All squadrons were flyinh the P-39 and there were over 50 planes available. I was only attempting to put 3 reserves in each squadron.

3- If I pull a squadron out of the front line because I see high plane fatigue, what is the best way to reduce said fatigue? Can I still train with those units or do they need to be completely resting?

Thank you,

Mike
geofflambert

RE: Allied Air Force question(s)

Post by geofflambert »

1. I always strip the pilots and the commanders (if permitted) so how would I know? [:D]

2. I don't think Calcutta counts as a home base and there would be a limit to the actual availability at that location. Wait a while and that may change. A little birdie is telling me the commander may have some impact on that as well.

3. Leave them at the front (if you like) and have them train at 20-30% and they'll get better. Fatigue refers to the pilots and not the planes themselves. If there's room in the squadron for more pilots, get them.

edit 1. I was referring to flying commanders not desk jockeys.

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

1. I think the same pilots come back with the squadron. I am not sure if their skills increase while away if you have set them on training before withdrawal.

2. Don't know - but it may have something to do with "usage rates" of your pools. Based on the number used over the last month or so, the AI may decide you need those 50 to replace losses.
My only other guess is that there may be a limit to how many reserve aircraft are out there for each type, so try reducing the reserve to 2 per squadron to see if you can get two for the other squadron.

3. Rest will recover fatigue fastest. Low levels of training ~ 40% can go on without increasing fatigue, but recovery will be a bit slower.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

1. I think the same pilots come back with the squadron. I am not sure if their skills increase while away if you have set them on training before withdrawal.
will be a bit slower.

I'm not sure about their training setting either, but I believe, as with supply, there can be 'spoilage' and their skills/experience may actually decline a bit.

bush

Post by bush »

I am referring to plane fatigue, not pilots.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

You are correct, plane fatigue is separate from pilot fatigue and the only way to recover plane fatigue is to rest them. However, many times that goes hand in hand with resting the pilots anyways so you will most likely be resting the whole unit. Just stand it down for a few days to improve morale. Plane frames will not fully recover so don't over do it. Frankly, I really don't pay much attention to it except perhaps with my heavy bomber and long range recon planes. They are pretty scarce and worth resting to prevent op losses. Otherwise. if your squadron does not have high pilot fatigue and low morale your air frames should be in good shape.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
obvert

Post by obvert »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

You are correct, plane fatigue is separate from pilot fatigue and the only way to recover plane fatigue is to rest them. However, many times that goes hand in hand with resting the pilots anyways so you will most likely be resting the whole unit. Just stand it down for a few days to improve morale. Plane frames will not fully recover so don't over do it. Frankly, I really don't pay much attention to it except perhaps with my heavy bomber and long range recon planes. They are pretty scarce and worth resting to prevent op losses. Otherwise. if your squadron does not have high pilot fatigue and low morale your air frames should be in good shape.

For most Allied planes it's not as big a problem, although flying units day after day can lead to unexpected outcomes when they go to battle with high airframe fatigue. If that is a CV clash it can be a bad outcome.

For Japanese planes it's a different story, mostly due to lower durability numbers. If you fly Oscars or A6M2 day after day your ops losses are going to go through the roof. This kind of knowledge can be used by either side to determine when to time a strike if you've noticed constant KB or Death Star ops for instance.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

I've walked into something I was completely oblivious to. Where is plane fatigue registered? You can look up each individual pilot and see what his fatigue level is. How do you do that with airframes? Do each of them have their own serial numbers? Is this some abstraction that players came to an agreement about and now assume the existence of? Or am I just as dense as a horned toad who has just completed a three course meal of lead, thorium and depleted uranium? Don't say it. [:-][:D]

bush

Post by bush »

Just to the right of the pilot button is the plane button.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Would you be referring to the (button) (shown) that I have never clicked on before? The depleted uranium was sautéed in creamery butter and was quite tasty.

Attachments
planedata.jpg
planedata.jpg (247.8 KiB) Viewed 45 times

mussey

Post by mussey »

That be the one[8D]
Col. Mussbu

The long arm of the law - "The King of Battle"

jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

As to No1 - strip it, the pilots won't return w/ the unit as it will be a new unit by the database & have new pilot entries in the database. If the unit comes back, the pilots will go in the pool but if the unit doesn't come back or isn't linked in the database to come back as another iteration of the unit then they will be lost. As the Gorn says strip it, give it obsolete a/c if you can, before disbanding/withdrawing.
bush

Post by bush »

Another question regarding reserves within a squadron. Does the game automatically rotate reserve planes with ones that are building up a high fatigue? I have only been using this feature for a few days but it seems the reserves are only getting utilized when a frontline plane is destroyed.

Also, what is the scale for plane fatigue? I just saw a few planes with OVER 100. Even after some squadrons have had 3-6 days rest the plane fatigue does not seem to drop below 8-10.
dmaramba

Post by dmaramba »

Brother bushpsu, airframe fatigue was discussed extensively in the thread "Does plane fatigue reduce in training?" started by brother Sieppo on 7/24/2013. I'm so new I can't post a link, but search and ye shall find.

Brother Alfred's post (#11 in the thread) should answer your questions.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: bushpsu

Another question regarding reserves within a squadron. Does the game automatically rotate reserve planes with ones that are building up a high fatigue? I have only been using this feature for a few days but it seems the reserves are only getting utilized when a frontline plane is destroyed.

Also, what is the scale for plane fatigue? I just saw a few planes with OVER 100. Even after some squadrons have had 3-6 days rest the plane fatigue does not seem to drop below 8-10.

8-10 is "normal" fatigue range nothing to worry about....but just watch esp. carrier planes and more especially Japanese ones for fatigue. It may be better to send carrier planes to land base to rest once in while. Ofc the more action they got the more and earlier rest they need. You will note the repairing proccess will start if enough air support is there (faster than oboard in any case - for Japanese at least). This is what I learned to doat least, cause I noted the IJN on board repair seems veryyyyy slow.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”