ETA?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
76mm

RE: ETA?

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Meyer1
I have no problems with the waiting, well I do, but I can understand it. What I can't understand is this policy of radio silence, don't know what is suppose to accomplish.
Let the testers talk, let's hear about the new features, let's hear about the bugs too. Let us see the unfinished new interface, keep the interest alive in other people than the handful of old timers who check this forum.
Well, that's my opinion.

yup, agreed...
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

Any publicity is good publicity.
fogger

Post by fogger »

another update was posted on the week-end
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

another update was posted on the week-end
Actually, Fogger dude, I think we can count the one before that because I for one was still using the one ending in 8 before 9 and 0
came out. So I'm thinking there were actually two separate products that Ralph produced. He's on the ball lately. I'm glad.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
fogger

Post by fogger »

Larry it is not that I am splitting hairs with you mate but if you look at the date time stamp the 8 & 9 were released in June and were the two I reported in post 38 above. The one ending in 0 has a date time stamp of 2nd July. But I do agree that Ralph and others (I do not know if we are allowed to say who) are working like a drovers dog.
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: fogger
Larry it is not that I am splitting hairs with you mate but if you look at the date time stamp the 8 & 9 were released in June and were the two I reported in post 38 above. The one ending in 0 has a date time stamp of 2nd July. But I do agree that Ralph and others (I do not know if we are allowed to say who) are working like a drovers dog.
OH. Yeah, I missed that little detail. Happy July 4 dude.
fogger

Post by fogger »

Another update was released last night. Things are happening. Do not give up. The coldest hours of the night are just before sunrise.
Thought for the day:
fogger

Post by fogger »

7 updates so far this month
Thought for the day:
FF_1079

Post by FF_1079 »

ORIGINAL: fogger

7 updates so far this month

Any UI/Graphics previews, or still all internal code?
Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Any UI/Graphics previews, or still all internal code?
Ralph has devised the game engine to use COL files to designate the color scheme of the units and the FITE2 team has devised the
color code for FITE2 and it looks pretty good to me. I've done a COL file for the Barbarosa '41 mod I'm working on and I've made the
fighters all black icons and the bombers are grey so I can better tell them apart.

The UI has changed from the old version so that it's streamlined now and more intuitive to use. Game play is faster now. The turns go
faster. More of the information you need at your fingertips is there now.

Something I've been lobbying for is the ability to click on an item of equipment on the Inventory Dialog and be presented with a dialog
that lists all the units that use that item of equipment in one or more units ( in several formations ). So that if you need to see a list
of P-39 squadrons you just click on the P-39 label for that equipment and you'll be presented with the four or five squadrons that have
those in their inventory. Or if you need to see the formations that have the P-38t tank, or where are all your Stuka's, etc. So far it's
more of a change than we would like to tackle at this stage of the development process so it'll have to be a future version that does
that but I'm hopeful that someday it'll do something like that.

There was a problem with one of the versions and Ralph had a new version out the same day as I recall. Things are jumping now.
SMK-at-work

Post by SMK-at-work »

oooerr....that's not making the antici............................................pation go away!! :D
Meum est propisitum in taberna mori
FF_1079

Post by FF_1079 »

That sounds very encouraging Larry, you hit the nail on the head with your comments on making info easier to access. Thank you for the update, it's much appreciated.
Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

[:)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Thanks fogger and larry for the update.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
biddrafter2

Post by biddrafter2 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: Meyer1
I have no problems with the waiting, well I do, but I can understand it. What I can't understand is this policy of radio silence, don't know what is suppose to accomplish.
Let the testers talk, let's hear about the new features, let's hear about the bugs too. Let us see the unfinished new interface, keep the interest alive in other people than the handful of old timers who check this forum.
Well, that's my opinion.

yup, agreed...

It is a catch-22. I've been on all sides of this same dilemma for another game (baseball). I was a programmer on the game and wasn't allowed (contractually) to say anything about schedules despite massive clamoring for info on the forums. I've managed a team of developers on a game and been required to dance around the release dates, trying to protect my devs from the initial poor timeline estimates while keeping business folks satisfied that work is being accomplished competently despite longer dev time than expected. I've been a dedicated gamer for games that were brilliant in their time but retain mostly a group of increasingly embittered die-hards. I've worked on a game that had only a single dev left, working below market rate for the love of the game.

The dilemma for Slitherine is simple: Let people watch the sausage being made, which can be ugly if there is only a single dev, and the die-hards *might* be happier but it looks awful to new potential buyers of the game. Or, pretend everything is going fine, with no official updates, so that newbies are not scared away and hope the die-hard will die-harder. No good resolution.

The default mode in the industry tends to punish the die-hards.

As a lark, I actually offered some of my coding time to the TOAW dev a few years back but it didn't go anywhere.

Without knowing the details of IV, it sounds like it is quite playable currently and the update frequency sounds like a single developer working part time with multiple ongoing issues. It would be nice to know how many issues are being resolved in each update. I've found that the frequency of fixes actually goes up as the end nears, because the remaining issues tend to be minor and faster to fix. Here is to hoping for Christmas release!
fogger

Post by fogger »

Updates
May 5
June 2
July 12
Thought for the day:
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

My NDA precludes me from giving you the names of the updates but I usually download the new version the same day it comes out
so if you look at the date and time of the file that's pretty close to the release date. I started blanking out the names of the files but
I thought maybe giving the last digit of the name might be okie dokie. As you can see we've been getting a lot of updates and we've
tested them all so far. Each new update fixes something that needs fixing so we're getting closer to the finished product all the time.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (155.28 KiB) Viewed 388 times
josant

Post by josant »

I also dont understand this policy of radio silence, you only have to look at how many new messages are put in the toaw 3 forum and in the toaw 4 forum (nearly 0 per month), people are losing interest in the game and looking for other options.
JA
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: josant

people are losing interest in the game and looking for other options.

NO - I am still looking forward to it even if I regret this radio silence. This is not like this is a brand new game that will revolutionize computer wargame. It did already for me in 1998. [:)]
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

The dilemma for Slitherine is simple: Let people watch the sausage being made, which can be ugly if there is only a single dev, and the die-hards *might* be happier but it looks awful to new potential buyers of the game. Or, pretend everything is going fine, with no official updates, so that newbies are not scared away and hope the die-hard will die-harder. No good resolution.

I don't really agree with this...there have been many other games that resolved this "dilemma" rather well, such as CSME and the recent Barbarossa game here at Matrix, the CM games, etc. The main issue is that it takes some effort and involvement by the developer, which some are not willing to do. It also takes good judgement to decide when/how to put things out there.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”